Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know the layout here. I have been offered appartments at the P&V, de la Foret and at the Residence Vega in Flaine Forum. Any comments on the proximity of these to the main bars, shops etc? Thanks Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi

I have been to Flaine once, towards the end of the session. To be fair there are not many shops and bars, if i remember rightly there is a nice pizzeria, and large bar, plus a few small outlets and ski shops. The large hotel complexes have bars, where people tend to go. regarding access, the complexes are on a slope with an outdoor bucket lift thinging giving you good access. So two areas seem connected well. From what i remember the newer area seemed a bit of a way away from the slopes.

However, there is great sking, good runs and a large linked area. Its easy to get to from geneva, even if you turn left out of the car hire area instead of right, and take the lcoal roads, rather than the main roads through the french side!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flaine is tiny - there are two main ares, "Front de neige" and "Forum" - forum is just above front de neige and there's a couple of lifts linking the two areas. Either of those is fine. Flaine foret is a ways further up the hill I think and less amenable for clubbing etc
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
martyngb, Forum is the lower part of resort, foret is the higher, they both have good access in fact foret is I think better as you are on the same level for most of the lifts. There is a free funicular linking both levels, only about 3 minutes. There are shops on both levels, we preferred the ones in foret for grocery & ski equipment.
Good bar at forum level is the White Pub & on Foret level the Flying Dutchman.
snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Flaine is only part of the Grand Massif domain fully linked with Morilon, Les Carroz and Samoens. Sixt is out of the way and can only be reached by Bus. Staying at Morilon or Samoens, which are at the middlw point, may be better to reach out the other areas because Flaine is at the far end with Les Carroz at the near end.

The 265km piste domain is not tiny at all but covering it from Flaine end is not easy. Grand Massif can be very busy especially at the linkages between each area.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
martynqb - If you like sleeping on campbeds ,no balcony, & grotty food, DON'T consider the Hotel Aujon - it's awful! - the SCGB uses it for FreshTracks courses - don't know why.
As for the rest of the Flaine complex for accomodation, see Les Menuires in the 3 vallees & you'll get the picture. Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some comments on Flaine here
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
martyngb, I've stayed in Vega and I've also walked past the P&V when staying the Andromede appartments. They are both fairly close to the slopes etc with the P&V being marginally closer but to get to the DMC lift from Foret you have to use a drag and then ski down. The P&V are up in Flaine Foret which is linked to Forum by an inclined elevator lift. So in terms of bars etc it really makes very little difference. I would second the recommendation for the pizza place in Forum but it takes not time to get there from Foret. The ski hire shop under the P&V seems to be very good and I've always had good skis.

In a counter to PG's comments I think that the apartments that I've stayed in are OK, not great but OK. They are quite variable but with an open mind they're OK. I've never been in one that's been dirty. Do get a south facing apartment so you get a balcony and a great view.

You either love or hate Flaine. I happen to love it because the skiing is great, the resort is compact, the locals/lifties/shopkeepers etc are friendly and it's close to Geneva. Don't expect a pretty alpine village but with an open mind the architecture is actually quite striking and blends into the mountainside when up the hill from it......Wish I'd managed to get there is winter.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skiologist, Flaine is way better architecturally than Les Menuires and Plagne Centre (to name a few awful ones that I've visited). It just takes a bit of getting used to. The reason the SCGB use the hotel will be because it's the only one and that Flaine get loads of powder - never not snowed when I've been there (five times now).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you look at www.flaine.com/en/index.php there is a resort map that shows the layout of the buildings etc. The P&V appartments in the La Foret have been renovated for this year and have been greatly improved (was there at xmas again). Only been in one appartment in the Vega and it was a bit of a dump, but I think they are all privately owned unlike P&V so some may be fine. I would certainly stay in P&V. No problem getting back from the Forum at night unless you are so 'Tired' you can't even stand up. There is a bar and night club under the P&V appts
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
P&V are usually privately owned, but are often leaseback so have standard fittings. P&V have been selling the newly renovated ones la foret ones on their web site. Most MGM properties operate in the same way.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I did not know that, will have to start saving.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the info, now booked into the P&V. Toofy Grin Heading out next Friday for 3 nights so hopefully the temps will drop by the middle of next week. Any comments on runs/routes etc gratefully received snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
martyngb, Ski over to Morilion, really nice runs over there through the trees, jus make sure weather is not closing in when you go as links can close in bad weather!
Have a great time snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MARTYNGB - hope this helps

I think that the following are the nicest runs (all blue/red) in the Grand massif - obviously dependant on snow conditions

Faust (red) - top of TMC telecabine in Flaine back to village
Sairon - (blue/red) - all the way down to Morrillon 1100
from the Gron chairlift in Les Carroz - plenty of enjoyable blues
Cascades - 14km blue run from top of Flaine all the way down to Sixt (need to take a free 10 min bus to Samoens to get back into ski area). Incredibly scenic, a little bit of poling. Look out half way down for the telephone - this calls through to an awesome restaurant a little higher up - if you are keen for lunch they will send a skidoo down to collect you
There are also some great runs to the far right of the piste map in Flaine - accessed via the rickety old bubble then drag lifts - thses are rarely skied

for off piste thoughts see
http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Haute-Savoie/Flaine-Off-Piste-Route-Map
snow report
Got back on Wednesday night from 5 days staying in Les Carroz.

Cascades closed earlier in the week before we got a chance to do it. It was pretty slushy at the bottom in Les Carroz in the afternoons so I guess bottom of Cascades was a river.

We had rain in Flaine at town level on at least two days. Difficult coditions with poor visibility high up but decent snow, slush and rain lower down.

Generally the off piste was only worth doing in the afternoon after thawing a little. Our lone boarder slept late most days rather than suffer the hard pistes. Off piste was a bit heavy and cut up but worth the extra effort needed. We had a bit of everything this trip, even managed to get fresh tracks up the Lindars Nord lift on the last day Very Happy

Great ski area in any condition, tons of easily accessible off piste, its just become my all time favourite resort Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy