Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Metatarsalgia - any treatments?

Poster: A snowHead
Dreading putting my ski boots back on because I’ve now got metatarsalgia. I have been having Inter-x treatment which has been really effective but it hasn’t gone (it’s incurable so a big ask I guess!!) and occasionally it is back to being very painful. Any suggestions greatly received.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a bit of a catch all term though isn't it? Have you had any more detailed diagnosis (and what is Inter-x treatment)? About 4 years back my GP told me I had metatarsalgia when I went in with toe-crushing pain. Said it was caused by my flat feet and I should go away and get myself a nice comfy pair of trainers. It didn't seem like the greatest medical insight (especially as my previously comfy trainers now felt like instruments of toe-hammering torture) and I guessed it could just as easily be a neuroma or plantar fasciitis, or something else entirely.

What worked for me, after a bit of trial and error, was being careful with my footwear - only wearing shoes with plenty of width around the toes - and getting some insoles with metatarsal cushons and some arch support. Decathlon do some for about a fiver that fitted the bill. I also wore a strange splint contraption, like a ski boot, at night to keep the foot flat and the achilles tendon stretched. I took magnesium and ate plenty of leafy green veg to try and aid flexibility of cartilage, tendons, etc. The worst of the pain and inflammation subsided after a week or so, though getting back to something like normal was a very gradual process.

Even now there are some shoes I still won't wear, but, contrary to expectations, my ski boots were actually very good for the condition, presumably due to the support, the cushioning and the canting.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks very much ingemar and glad you are doing well. I have only had a GP diagnosis. Inter-x is

"InterX is a medical device that uses electrical stimulation for relief of acute and chronic pain. The device is unusual in that it incorporates a feedback system that modulates the electrical stimulus in response to the impedance of the patient’s skin."

It feels like a tens machine and delivers electrical stimulation to train the brain to deal with the pain. She also works on my reflexology points. It's obviously not a "cure", but it has helped enormously.

You are right about shoes. I'm sure it was an old pair I was wearing that has caused this. I have trainers now with arch supports (I have extremely high insteps) and I'm wearing them all the time which helps. I've now got a cupboard full of medically-approved, expensive insoles, nothing works. I'm also going to be looking at wider fitting shoes (which all look mank but will be worth it I guess!)

Based on what you said, I just dug out my ski boots and you're right, they do feel pretty good, so that's a relief.

I have nightly magnesium (Epsom salts) footbaths but will definitely up the leafy green veg.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've also suffered from metatarsalgia (specific cause undiagnosed) several times over the last few years and it was very painful too on occasion. I really worried about my skiing the first time it happened, but thankfully it has never been an issue when wearing ski boots. As above, skiing actually seems to help relieve this kind of pain. But obviously your issue could be quite different from mine as it is just a general term for all sorts of foot issues.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it is long term your GP could refer to a foot surgeon for investigation/treatment. If it is due to a Mortons Neuroma I believe it can be injected/removed.

However the majority am sure will recover as per Ingemar Skidmark

Could try a decent sports podiatrist Call the local running shop and ask for who they recommend/advertise. Notice my local Snow & Rock on Portsmouth advertises a local guy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@bambionskiis, as your ski boots hold the foot in position (rather than allowing you to flex it too much) maybe it will be fine? Have you tried putting them on yet?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all

uktrailmonster hope you get to the bottom of your problem. Encouraging what you say about skiing.

sack the juggler yes I tried them on this morning and they felt good so hopefully what you and uktrailmonster say will hold true. Fingers crossed.

hawkesbaynz (gorgeous part of the world btw Very Happy ) I am definitely going to look into this further and thanks for the advice.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bambionskiis wrote:
Thanks all

uktrailmonster hope you get to the bottom of your problem. Encouraging what you say about skiing.

Thanks. So far the pain has always gone away before the point where I've felt the need to seek medical advice. Maybe had it 3 or 4 times over the last 5 years (not always the same foot I don't think), but always cleared up after a week or so and then been completely pain free for many months afterward. But as it happens, my right foot is right now very sore under my big toe joint after being perfectly fine for the last year or more. Happened suddenly yesterday, so maybe I over-stretched it or something. I'm resting it as much as I can today and it feels a little better this afternoon.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
uktrailmonster wrote:
bambionskiis wrote:
Thanks all

Thanks. So far the pain has always gone away before the point where I've felt the need to seek medical advice. Maybe had it 3 or 4 times over the last 5 years (not always the same foot I don't think), but always cleared up after a week or so and then been completely pain free for many months afterward. But as it happens, my right foot is right now very sore under my big toe joint after being perfectly fine for the last year or more. Happened suddenly yesterday, so maybe I over-stretched it or something. I'm resting it as much as I can today and it feels a little better this afternoon.

Feeling your pain - literally. Keep your chin up.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="bambionskiis"][quote="uktrailmonster"]
bambionskiis wrote:

Feeling your pain - literally. Keep your chin up.

Yeah, hope you get better too. Foot pain is no joke is it! I think I must have sprained my big toe joint from over-stretching. It's slightly less sore to stand on this morning, but still far from normal. I'm still limping around like a 90 year old with bad arthritis. If it doesn't show significant improvement over the weekend I'm off to the doc on Monday. I'm due to be skiing again in 6 weeks, so not that much time to play with. If it turns out to be anything more serious it will probably be the end of my season.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I used to suffer from really bad ball of foot pain after a bad skiing accident. More arch support and less pronation helped me. Started wearing some of these insoles which really helped me a lot http://thebosh.com/snax_item/planatar-fasciitis-arch-support-insoles-from-footreviver/

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 27-05-18 13:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My big toe joint pain cleared up almost completely after a week. Now more or less back to normal, but still aches a little if I've been on my feet all day or if I take all my weight on the toe joint. I've no idea what I actually did to it in the first place, but I don't want to do it again! I think I must have sprained it or could have even been a stress fracture it was so painful. You don't even realise how important the big toe joint is until it stops working!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
uktrailmonster wrote:
My big toe joint pain cleared up almost completely after a week. Now more or less back to normal, but still aches a little if I've been on my feet all day or if I take all my weight on the toe joint. I've no idea what I actually did to it in the first place, but I don't want to do it again! I think I must have sprained it or could have even been a stress fracture it was so painful. You don't even realise how important the big toe joint is until it stops working!

That’s great news - long may it continue.

Well my foot was great during skiing last week; such a relief. A few minor “ouches” this week but nothing to speak of. The Inter-X therapist that treated my foot said it would happen this way, so I’m not surprised. I don’t mind because at least it’s only occasional now instead of constant pain.

So true about arch support sillysnow - I think the extra arch support in my boot helped a lot.

In short I prescribe myself another ski holiday!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The best medicine!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great news indeed! My ski boot custom footbeds also have a lot of arch support and it definitely helps with all these issues. It's making me think about custom insoles for my everyday shoes.
snow report
SPAM alert, SPAM alert Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
@bambionskiis, if you have really high insteps then maybe getting custom footbeds would be a good idea, particularly if the pain comes back partway through your holiday.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy