Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing out of Munich late march

Poster: A snowHead
Hello 👋,

I'm looking to go skiing at the end of march 25/26 for 4/5 days. Flying into Munich seems to be my best option. Can arrive early or late in the day. I was looking at the hintertux glacier and mayrhofen area. They seem like a long journey from Munich if you're not driving. I've been skiing twice before and enjoy apres ski! I've been to soll and absolutely loved it there. Traveling with friends/girlfriend so don't mind a party area but not necessary, skiing is no.1.

So any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks ! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kufstein or worgl are about the first place in Austria you hit by train, which is close to Soll/ Ski-welt. Or a bit further is kitzbuhel and then onto Zell am See. I did Munich to Zell on the train last year, it was about 3 hours I think, but did drop you right in centre of town. We arrived late, did overnight at cheapo airport hotel and then early train and skiing before lunch. Fullish day on departure before quick change and back to Munich for evening flight home.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a look at Tirol Taxi (you can find a 10% discount via some Lufthansa code) for private / shared transfers to the Mayrhofen area - more expensive than the train but really convenient (and not much more than 1.5hrs either).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Would mayrhofen/zell am see still have snow this late in the season?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thefint wrote:

Scheduled to be open until 15 April - so probably a reasonably safe bet
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Travelled to Soll from Munich 2 weeks ago. The train station just a short walk opposite the arrivals area. We got a Bayern ticket, 1 change at Munich Ost for the Meridian train to Kufstein. We went on Friday afternoon & train took just over 1.30hrs. We then took the post bus to Soll from outside the train station - about 20mins. 40€ for 2 of us - 31€ for the train & 4.50€ each for the bus.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thefint wrote:
Mayrhofen is at the end of Zillertal. If there is no snow in Mayrhofen you can always go further up the valley. The glacier at Hintertux will definitely have snow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Appreciate I'm digging up an old thread but I'm dropping into Munich 15th March 2019 and travelling by train. I'm tentatively staying in worgl but could change that. Any suggestions from last year's experience?
Cheers
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi,
We went to mayrhofen and it was perfect. We had 2 very clear day for skiing, one of the days was bad visibility but lots of snow. All the runs were open and the weather was great! Would highly recommend mayrhofen, I'm actually heading back there tomorrow for 5 days! Let me know if you need any more info!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks I had considered Mayrhofen was too far from Munich for a weekend ski trip - how far is it really by train?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think it's about 2.5/3 hours depending on the train you get. It cost us about €55 last year when we got it. Getting the Tyrol taxi this year it's about 85 pp but that's collection from the airport and dropping to the door. Our flight times didn't suit the train this year so the option was easier! It's only a 2 hour drive and it's located in the valley so no mountain driving to get to the resort if you fancy driving there.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@trolleyed, according to the ÖBB website its either 2H25 or 3H16, change at Jenbach.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Only time i've ever missed a flight was due to one of the longest traffic jams i've ever been in. I was told it was typical in Munich
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1. Lech.
2. Davos.
3. Ischgl.
4. Garmisch.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanks for the suggestions @Whitegold - should all still have good snow so assuming others have too (might be wishful thinking) then
I've already been to Lech this season - loved it! (also a tad too far from Munich at 5hrs)
Davos is too far on the train (7hr..)
I went to Ischgl a couple of years back (5hrs) but Garmisch is a definite possibility at 2hrs - great suggestion!
ski holidays
I have not been by train in the winter but have done the trip a couple of times in summer. Left Munich first thing Saturday, got to Mayrhofen mid morning, then a bus before a walk (around 4 hours) up to a hut. Next day usual early start before 6 to 8 hour walk, bus back to Mayrhofen and then train back to Munich. So yes perfectly doable for a weekend skiing assuming you arrive Friday late afternoon into Munich. Do take into account the time it takes to get from the airport to the main train station.
snow conditions
Rent a car and Davos and Lech are ~3hrs.

Lots of Munichers do it on the weekend.

Garmisch is pretty. Good for a weekend. It can get busy with locals at times.
snow conditions
trolleyed wrote:
thanks for the suggestions @Whitegold - should all still have good snow so assuming others have too (might be wishful thinking) then
I've already been to Lech this season - loved it! (also a tad too far from Munich at 5hrs)
Davos is too far on the train (7hr..)
I went to Ischgl a couple of years back (5hrs) but Garmisch is a definite possibility at 2hrs - great suggestion!
5 hrs? Lech is usually about 3hrs. St.Anton less. Ischgl also about 3hrs
snow report
Having done the Munich hire for a long weekend last weekend, and thinking I was very lucky indeed to get the car back OK, despite some shocking traffic, won't be doing that again on a Sunday night. It will be the train next time. If you're flying out early then the train isn't that kind to you and it's worth a cab. Maybe investigate flying into another airport.
snow report
Sunday night back to Munich can be bad for traffic, especially if you are using the A8 or Inntal autobahns plus the current roadworks on the Munich ring road are not helpful. If you can, choose another time. Unfortunately there are few sensible ways around the main jams and cross country from Rosenheim to Erding is pretty slow too.
snow report
Glad I'll be on the train - more reliable timings
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy