Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What length lady skiis?

Poster: A snowHead
I’m a nervous intermediate, happy on blues and easy reds. I picked up my hire skiis today and when I stand them in front of me they nearly touch my nose. Is there a rule of thumb about length of skiis? How is it calculated? Also I’ve never had lady skiis before and am wondering what the difference will be. I just had to trust that the guy in the shop was saying when he said they were suitable.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski Length is usually worked out with:

- Weight
- Standard
- Speed you ski
- Terrain type
- Personal preference (More stability vs Easier to turn).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks ofb. That makes perfect sense. Based on him knowing my weight and height and that I’m an “expert” (this made me laugh but basically you are either a beginner here or an expert) and there therefore being a massive range of ability within that category, and the fact he has no idea how fast I ski (not very!!) I’m just not sure how say he came up with atomics for me and not something else.

As an aside, how do I know if these skiis arent “right” for me or whether, if I keep falling over, it isn’t just my poor skiing?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks ofb. That makes perfect sense. Based on him knowing my weight and height and that I’m an “expert” (this made me laugh but basically you are either a beginner here or an expert) and there therefore being a massive range of ability within that category, and the fact he has no idea how fast I ski (not very!!) I’m just not sure how say he came up with atomics for me and not something else.

As an aside, how do I know if these skiis arent “right” for me or whether, if I keep falling over, it isn’t just my poor skiing?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Length sounds about right. Hard to say how they might feel they’re not right. If they feel unstable at speed and a bit flappy they might not be stiff enough. On the other hand, if you don’t feel “on top “ of them...if they feel hard to turn, or if you tend to sit back and you fall a lot, they might be a bit too stiff. If you want extra reassurance, google the make and model...you should get an idea of the sort of skier they are aimed for. I don’t think ski hire shop “expert” skis are likely to be too hard core.
I bet you’ll be fine!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been given all sorts of sizes over the years - from 145 - 158, I'm 159cm tall and weigh 56kg, and am a cautious skier - I can ski difficult reds but I don't like to.

The 158's were too difficult to turn for me and I exchanged them.

I now have my own skis - atomic Cloud 9s which I love.
I found this channel very helpful when deciding which skis would suit me.

https://www.skis.tv/c/On-Snow-Video-Reviews/3764888--

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 11-02-18 7:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bambionskiis, they sound about right length.
What brand and model are they? Atomic, Salomon? Rossignol? Blizzard etc?
Or post an image of 1 ski?
If you’re really a nervous intermediate you wouldn’t really want an ‘expert’ ski, could be too stiff.
Have you skied on them yet?
Try on gentle wide slopes near your base camp. Do lots of turns and see how they feel. If unhappy take back and ask to try alternative. I swapped 4 times last week before happy with mine on Day 2.
snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh, I see from details on your post they’re Atomic.
Cloud 7 maybe?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bambionskiis wrote:

As a guide, enter your Stats on here: https://www.skis.com/size-chart/skis,default,pg.html (you may need to click the down arrow to see the recommended length range, once the info has been entered)

The next thing to do is google your ski model, to see who (and what terrain) it is designed for and any reviews.

As said above - the skis can be unsuitable if:
- They are badly tuned
- They are too long for your ability (struggle to turn them and catching edges)
- They are too soft for you (feel flappy and unstable)
- They are too stiff (They run away with you and are hard to turn)

IMO Look for Lady specific skis, with a Turn Radius of 12 or 13m and a waist that is between 70mm and 84mm...probably what they gave you. If the Pistes are icy and crowded, then go for a narrower ski in a shorter length (easier to turn due to being shorter and better on ice* due to the narrower waist). If the conditions are soft and powdery, then go wider...which makes it easier when skiing on pistes with those conditions (all IME).

* Longer skis give better grip on ice, due to the extra edge length, but won't be as nimble (if crowded)....though sharp edges are also crucial.

If you are enjoying them and they are giving you confidence, they should be fine....if not, go back to the shop and see what else they have.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That’s great everyone, really helpful. I skied on them this morning and it was great. I did the research suggested and they came out fine. Having them shorter definately meant I wasn’t tripping over but yes as indicated, no so brilliant on slightly icy bits. Didn’t fall over at all so I rate that all a success!! Cheers all
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good news! It's a stupid psychological thing but it's reassuring knowing the skis you've been given suit you. I was double guessing myself over my boots thinking I'd bought ones too stiff after staring at an enormous bloke in 70's, and had to go back and chase the reviews before i relaxed in them....duh, sometimes ignorance is bliss....
Just curious - which skis do you have?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bambionskiis wrote:
That’s great everyone, really helpful. I skied on them this morning and it was great. I did the research suggested and they came out fine. Having them shorter definately meant I wasn’t tripping over but yes as indicated, no so brilliant on slightly icy bits. Didn’t fall over at all so I rate that all a success!! Cheers all

That's good.

FWIW. Ice performance (aside from technique), is effected by:
- Hired skis often don't have the sharpest edges...should be sharp enough to shave a thumb nail when drawn across them, but seldom are.
- Characteristics/Design of the ski ie. Less rocker/narrow waist/torsional stiffness/damp construction, all help. A soft Intermediate Ski will be easier to handle, but is likely to be less stable at speed and less grippy on ice. Finding the right compromise (for you) is the ideal, but can take a bit of trial and error (and researching the skis that the Hire Shop has available).

IME It usually pays to go into a hire shop knowing (or appearing to know) what you want/expect. If you say you haven't a clue and throw yourself at their mercy, they "may" be tempted to give you something from their "well used", lower performance stock.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hope you don't mind if I hijack your thread a little bit, Bambi.
Just wondered how acceptable it is to approach an in resort ski hire shop and ask to try skis? Not at "no cost" - I'm quite happy to pay for the time and set up costs but what would be a reasonable charge for an hour or so's use?
Any thoughts gratefully received.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scamper wrote:
Hope you don't mind if I hijack your thread a little bit, Bambi.
Just wondered how acceptable it is to approach an in resort ski hire shop and ask to try skis? Not at "no cost" - I'm quite happy to pay for the time and set up costs but what would be a reasonable charge for an hour or so's use?
Any thoughts gratefully received.

IME. They will usually allow you one change in the week....maybe 2, if you charm them.

I suspect if you pay a premium for their demo skis and tell them what you want to do (preferably with the intention to buy), they should accommodate you...but it will be down to the shop.

In The States this year, the shop my Brother hired from, had a selection of this year's ski for demo, with the ability to change as often as you liked...but you paid a premium for this luxury.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks, OF, I'm just being 'grass is greener' and probably should concentrate on skiing better on the ones I have, which do come up as an option when I use the link you provided.
ski holidays
Fascinating stuff this! Just checked scamper and they are Atomic 74 vantage x.

I’d like to think I could carry off knowing what I’m talking about in a hire shop ofb, but I don’t think I’d last long.... until reading this. Big help.
snow conditions
bambionskiis wrote:
Fascinating stuff this! Just checked scamper and they are Atomic 74 vantage x.

Atomic Vantage X74 W, are very light skis (with no wood or metal), suitable for beginners and nervous Intermediates, as they are very easy to turn.

As a possible suggestion - if things are going well for you and confidence is reasonable, towards the end of the week (last day?), you could ask the Shop if you could try something of a similar profile, but a little stiffer ie. more firmly in the Intermediate/Advanced Intermediate category (preferably with a light wood core and Women specific).
It will still be easy to ski, but give more stability and better grip in ice. It will let you know if getting a ski with a bit more performance, helps or hinders.....or......ignore this completely and stay with what you are happy on.
snow report
@Old Fartbag,
Quote:

IME. They will usually allow you one change in the week....maybe 2, if you charm them.

I've been charmless for well over 50 years, as MrsPeakyB will testify. I never have any problem getting rental skis changed, when I go back to shop, show an interest and ask what they might recommend. I don't always go with their recommendation, of course.

On some occasions I book through Skimium franchise shops, lots of them around Europe. With a Decathlon discount card, I get good rates, usually cheaper than any other agent/shop. Being a member also entitles me to change skis, have extra midweek wax (ouch!) and other minor benefits.

IME, ice is difficult to cope with on any skis. I just slide as controlled as possible until the next grippy bit for a turn. Predicting likely ice is best way to cope, through experience and a bit of planning.

@bambionskiis, personally, if those skis are suiting you, I'd stick with them, unless conditions changed dramatically. For example, if large dump of fresh snow, I might go back and ask for fatter skis to try out, as they tend to 'float' on soft snow better. snowHead
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:

On some occasions I book through Skimium franchise shops, lots of them around Europe. With a Decathlon discount card, I get good rates, usually cheaper than any other agent/shop. Being a member also entitles me to change skis, have extra midweek wax (ouch!) and other minor benefits.

I've noticed the shops around and about didn't realise that were decathlon partners
https://www.skimium.co.uk

Thanks for the heads up.
snow conditions
Thanks peakyb and ofb. Good suggestions.

Exchanging them would give me a chance to see what the difference which would help for choosing skiis next time as well. Plenty of fresh snow all week by all accounts but not in massive dumps. Temps are max -10. As such I can probably just stick with what I have. With your info I’ll make a judgement later in the week then. Cheers
snow conditions
@bambionskiis,
Quote:

Temps are max -10. As such I can probably just stick with what I have.

Where are you?
ski holidays
bambionskiis wrote:
Thanks peakyb and ofb. Good suggestions.

Exchanging them would give me a chance to see what the difference which would help for choosing skiis next time as well.

That was exactly my thought....though I didn't want you ending up with something that removed your confidence (which is where I suspect PeakyB was coming from), but I think this is unlikely.

I suspect you are better than you think and might enjoy a ski with just a little more bite. My suggestion, would be to find out what the shop has that might be suitable, then go and do a bit of Googling, to see if any of the choices look interesting.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 12-02-18 10:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Actually that’s what my husband said this morning funnily enough ofb. He is telling me to get a grip, accept that actually I’m a pretty good skier, start believing in myself and crack on (he was kicked off the counselling course Laughing ). Will set about googling and having a think. Cheers
snow report
Have a Google for the atomic cloud 9s that I have and see whether you think you'd like then. They are very forgiving 😊
If you can find a rental pair I don't think you would be disappointed.
ski holidays
FWIW. My pick would be Salomon W-Max 8...which probably isn't available (but it might be).

It should be stable, easy to ski in all turn shapes and have a big performance envelope (from slow pivoty turns, to faster carved ones). Salomon generally make fun, playful skis...and these have Wood Core/Piste Rocker/Radius 11.8 (155)...Perfect! snowHead
snow conditions
PeakyB wrote:
@bambionskiis,
Quote:

Temps are max -10. As such I can probably just stick with what I have.

Where are you?

Obertauern peakyB
ski holidays
bambionskiis wrote:

Obertauern

I had a very pleasant few days there, staying at the lovely Hotel Marietta. Back then, not a lot of English was spoken, neither in the Hotel, or the Ski School (which I joined, just to have someone to ski with, as I was there on my own as part of a business trip) - but I'm sure that's now changed.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 12-02-18 15:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
The atomic cloud 9s look great. They seem to go up in increments of 7, ie 143, 150 etc. my current ones are 145 so I assume the 143’s would be best?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have 149cm which was the best for me in that year (next up was 156cm which I didn't fancy), but if you have a play on the ski length calculators they will give you the appropriate length.

The ones OF suggested sound great too and on one review site had a better score than the Cloud 9s.
ski holidays
https://www.evo.com/guides/womens-ski-size-chart
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy