Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to Ski in Half term (without kids!)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I've got to take some holiday in mid feb, have to take it then so am stuck going skiing in Half term. My flatmate is happy to go with me, but we'd both like to avoid the half term crowds (as much as is possible). We're pretty happy to head anywhere - what is our best choice? (Knowing full well its all going to be a bit awful).

Anything outside the box we should be looking at?

thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Canada?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can fly to Oakland (near San Francisco, 3hrs from Tahoe etc.) cheaper than Geneva for Feb half term (c. £400 on Norwegian). Then pick any of the Tahoe area resorts, or Mammoth. Whilst the flights are long, you get 6 full days skiing (arrive Saturday evening, leave following Saturday arriving home Sunday).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hemel might have quietened down by then. Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't think the Italians have half-term like we do. Western Italy has particularly good snow this year too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
In Europe, Switzerland.... It's generally expensive but quieter than most other european countries.

Pension/B&B in Flims/LAAX? I worked a 'peak season' job in Flims a few years ago and was surprised how quiet it was.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Andermatt/Disentis or Champoluc/Gressoney. Either works.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As mentioned Flims is a good call but the cost of the pass is now outrageous. I spent a day there last year on the way back to ZRH from Disentis and recall it being in the region of 80 quid.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TurinX2 wrote:
Hi,
I've got to take some holiday in mid feb, have to take it then so am stuck going skiing in Half term. My flatmate is happy to go with me, but we'd both like to avoid the half term crowds (as much as is possible). We're pretty happy to head anywhere - what is our best choice? (Knowing full well its all going to be a bit awful).

Anything outside the box we should be looking at?

thanks!

Not sure what dates you are looking for, but I have a reservation at Orso Bianco, in Sauze D'Oulx for the week starting 24 Feb that I'm going to have to give up. Orso is primarily and 'adult' place. Ski in/out with breakfast and dinner, incl wine. 2100 EUR for the week for a room with 5 beds, one bathroom. Let me know if you're interested before I can cancel. Orso is always booked a year in advance, so this is certainly luck for someone.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As with several other replies, in the alps Switzerland and Italy are your better bets as they don't tend to have such a big spike for half-term.

In Switzerland I'd add Engleberg, Arosa/Lenzerheide and Val d'Anniviers to Andermatt/Disentis and Flims/Laax. All are a reasonable size, but nothing like as popular or expensive as e.g Verbier or Zermatt. Note that you won't find British run chalets (apart from the odd independent), so it'd be Hotel, B&B or self-catering
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowdave wrote:
You can fly to Oakland (near San Francisco, 3hrs from Tahoe etc.) cheaper than Geneva for Feb half term (c. £400 on Norwegian). Then pick any of the Tahoe area resorts, or Mammoth. Whilst the flights are long, you get 6 full days skiing (arrive Saturday evening, leave following Saturday arriving home Sunday).

apart from snow there.... it's a bit of a dry year. The Pacific Northwest is good though, Whislter, for example. The snow just hasn't been reaching south this year. Sun Valley and Jackson are in good shape, but a few miles south, in Utah, it's rather thin.

I know, I was just there, and even though it's snowed since thin, the base is rather shallow.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Definitely italy. Check out gressoney. Flights to Milan much cheaper than Geneva particularly if you fly out Friday and return on Sunday and you'll get up to 8 says skiing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@HeidiAmsterdam, agreed, I was also just there (Northstar), but took a view that by mid Feb it would probably be ok. As the days go by that's looking more aspirational! Good snow-making tho, and empty trails.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Italy or Switzerland. Italy aren’t on half term and Switzerland is expensive for families.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BenTisdall wrote:
Definitely italy. Check out gressoney. Flights to Milan much cheaper than Geneva particularly if you fly out Friday and return on Sunday and you'll get up to 8 says skiing

Ditto
Did Gressoney last year in half term (don't have young kids either). Remarkably quiet for half term, with only a few lift queues of any note.
ski holidays
We were in Pila half term last year. Busy at the weekend, very quiet in the week.
snow conditions
Thanks for all your help! I'm booking Italy!!

I read a lot of the posts about half term etc and I think the best match for quiet (ish) and good resort is cervinia. Its probably busier that a number of members mentioned it not being too bad during Half term.

HeidiAmsterdam - thats so much for the offer but i'm actually going the week before you, 17th Feb.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy