Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying boots online?

Poster: A snowHead
Any advice on boot buying online. My local shops don't have what I'm after (Salomon X Pro 100).
Have tried on other Salomon boots locally and they seem to indicate 30.5 (I take 10-11 UK) is it safe to assume they use the same last(?) for all their boots.
If I measure up on the downloaded charts available my foot length is 29...help!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Any advice on boot buying online.

Don't do this.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't suppose anyone on this forum will advocate buying boots on line and for my 10cents worth a 30.5 sounds massive for UK 10-11 sized foot. I wear UK 10.5 to 11 shoes but my ski boot size is normally 28.5, I have very wide feet so generally need lots of work doing on my boots.
Don't buy online - go to a good boot fitter.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I like your style SFR, quick and to the point! Was thinking this way myself but would need to travel about 100 miles to try and buy.
I'm a good intermediate, any advice on next best.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've done it but my feet are uncomplicated. Having said that you really need to at least have tried them on before buying.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
edgy1 wrote:
I like your style SFR, quick and to the point! Was thinking this way myself but would need to travel about 100 miles to try and buy.

Might be useful to say where abouts you live, and somebody may be able to recommend a good boot fitter local to yourself?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

My local shops don't have what I'm after (Salomon X Pro 100)

How do you know what you're after?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did it and skied on the boots for several years however this year I went in and had a fitting for some new and stiffer boots. I went down a size. The original boots were comfy because they were too big.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
edgy1 wrote:
is it safe to assume they use the same last(?) for all their boots?

Nope. Most certainly not.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I went to Snow & Rock who spent about an hour the first time I went in looking at all aspects of my feet, discussing my requirements and trying a few odd boots on. They then gave me a couple of recommendations for boots based very much on my specific feet, so we ordered some to come into the shop and a week or so later I went back to spend about 2 hours there having them fitted and custom foot-beds made.

It was a very positive experience with people who quite obviously knew what they were doing. Once you have skied on them they are also very happy for you to go back in and they will make further adjustments if necessary.

I know there is a boot-fitter who is recommended on this forum but I bought prior to joining so went where I felt was sensible and I am very happy with the outcome.

If you are sure that you are buying the right boots you could then get a boot fitter to look at them and make custom changes if required once you arrive at a resort. I am sure you would be able to get custom foot-beds made in most European resorts too. Post on here where you are going and someone will have a recommendation for you...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i"m a size 10 but having just been to a bootfitter i"m a 27.5 in ski boots
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

No worries Very Happy

Just to echo other comments here, if you're going to buy your own boots then you must like skiing and intend to go many times over the next 10/15 years. If this is the case it's well worth the time, effort and cost of getting a proper boot fitting. A decent pair will last you years and when other people are moaning about their feet hurting/being cold/not having control of their skis, you can feel smug with your warm, comfy and snug boots and advise them to get a proper boot fitting for their next pair.

There are loads of boot fitter reviews on here and people will also be able to recommend a good fitter at a lot of resorts if you can't get to one locally.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
After hiring boots for the last two seasons, I got myself some for Christmas. I got them fitted by Alain Baxter in Stirling on the recommendation of several people on here. Although I normally take a size 9 the boots I bought were a 26 which is about a size and a half less than normal. They do fit well and are very comfortable once I have them on. Now that is the problem for me as I have very stiff ankles but I solved this using an aid purchased from Ski Slipin. This made me realise that the hire boots I have been using have been too large. I suspect that I am not the only person who has made this mistake.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
when do you go away?
I consider booking your next ski trip with the intention of buying boots.
There's a very good boot fitter that posts on here but if you don't live near his shop also he can't help you out if you're in the alps with a problem.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
when do you go away?
I consider booking your next ski trip with the intention of buying boots.
There's a very good boot fitter that posts on here but if you don't live near his shop also he can't help you out if you're in the alps with a problem.
latest report
@edgy1, where are you based in the UK?
snow conditions
@edgy1, there are several different last widths over the Salomon range, so no, they aren't all the same, depends what else you've tried on. And our rental boots which are Salomon, we call 28.5 a 10, 29.5 an 11, and I have just got hold of a 31.5 for a friend who has size 13/14 feet... As @Rabbie says, the boots may well be comfy because they are too big - I've lost count of the number of customers who come in with their own boots, saying they are really comfy, and then write a whole size smaller on the registration card that asks for their shoe size!
ski holidays
@edgy1,
Quote:

Next best isn't good enough, my journey was 130 miles and an 8:30 appointment, so an early start, but absolutely worth the time and effort. Cheap boots can ruin what is a very expensive holiday so just not worth the risk.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy