Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Worst resort no-one's ever heard of.

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sick of reading about all the fabulous destinations and pondering on the identity of Resort X.

Let's look on the darkside. Where are all those crappy resorts we've wasted our money on?

I'll start the ball rolling with St Gervais - too low, old lifts, no apres ski, locals not very friendly, ski instructors speak no English, no piste-side accomodation. Also when we were there, poor snow and very foggy/cloudy.

I could go on...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marmalade, My shout was for Kaprun. Absolutely freezin when we were there, no snow apart from the glacier, no kids or beginner facilities up there, lots of samey skiing, absolute mayhem on the buses to get to the skiing, generally one hour up and one hour back from the skiing to the hotel. Nice place though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Homewood, CA.

Firstly it's in America, so it's obviously bad.
But, more importantly, there are only 4 lifts. The tickets are cheap so locals go there, but you can't find hords of tourists to ski with. You can only get fresh tracks all day if it has snowed the night before. You can't pay exhorbitant prices for food and drink. The views are useless - it's nothing like La Daille - you end up having to look at a lake.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty,

I kind of agree with you about Kaprun. The most disturbing thing about it though is the sight of the old funicular going up into the mountainside (site of the tragic fire)- very sad and a bit spooky.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat, Very Happy Very Happy Sounds absolutely awful!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
marmalade, yes the old track and hole is a very sobering sight.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat, Laughing Laughing
marmalade,
Quote:

pondering on the identity of Resort X

Why are you wasting your time pondering the qualities of a resort being recommended, if I've got this right, by someone who's only skiied a couple of times outside England? And anyway, one man's meat...and all that.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Raise

You have to hike over an hour with all your gear to get there. Often no snow cover, no snowmaking/grooming, could well be raining, risk of sheep or hillwalkers on piste - but its real outdoor skiing in England Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, I'm going there next month. I presume there's no point in packing skins? Little Angel
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The skiing on any of the pistes in deepest, darkest Warwickshire is nothing to write home about....we have got some decent shops though, especially for hunting out the odd bargain or for spotting lesser Zookeepers....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Castleford rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tahoe Donner.

Minute, small vertical, nothing above intermediate at best.

Good as anywhere to learn the basics though.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snoqualmie, WA USA. Or just Noqualmie as the local say. Crap snow. Crap runs. Crowded. Expensive (at least more than it should be).

And as it all comes down to expectations being met or not, I'll say I found Stubai rather disappointing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The off-piste skiiers have probably heard of it but Alagna, Italy is defintely not for piste skiers (at least not 10 years ago). It had one run open with a huge cravasse in the middle of the top part which was fenced off by a bit of orange tape that anyone could have skiied through in bad visibility. The snow was rubbish - sheet ice everywhere, and not helped by the fact that it hadn't seen a piste basher for some time, the village was so quiet that if you spoke above a whisper you were frowned upon, and the hotel thought that food resembling scouring pads was perfectly edible.

It was my last school trip and fortunately I'd got the bug by then but had it been my first I may have been put off forever!
ski holidays
Hayls, OMG, your school can't have done much research! Alagna is always written up as being one of the scariest resorts in the world! (Hence I have never been there Madeye-Smiley )
snow conditions
bh1, It wasn't THAT funny! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Flaine in January. Freezing, foggy, only about three lifts open, poor snow cover, dodgy road in and out. Got there at 9am and we were gone after a poor lunch by 2pm.
No wonder the only other people we saw in the singlr lift queue were Scottish!
snow report
Just to rile veeight & co- My parents despite loving the whole N American ski "experience" have sworn off Whistler for life after a week when

1. It rained everyday
2. The Alpine was never open due to storms uptop (see 1.)
3. Below treeline lift queues were ridiculous as everyone tried to stay in the band between whiteout and total mush (see 1 & 2.) = Emerald Chair, maybe Red if adventurous.

Just shows conditions and timing are everything. I bet the week after most powder skiers were raving.
latest report
Was just thinking out of my 13 weeks skiing I have been to France 7 times and had rain in 3 out of those 7 weeks. Never had rain in any other country.
snow report
Quote:

Flaine in January. Freezing, foggy, only about three lifts open, poor snow cover, dodgy road in and out.

There's no accounting for weather, but in the several times I have driven to Flaine it has never occurred to me that the road was anymore "dodgy" than most roads up to ski resorts. Easier than some. What's wrong with it? If you think the road to Flaineis dodgy, better not go skiing in New Zealand!
snow conditions
La Mongie, Pyrenees. No snow, terrible architecture, dismal shops. Just as well it was summer when I was there.
ski holidays
Elizabeth B wrote:
Castleford rolling eyes

Laughing Laughing ... so true. Add the snowdome to that. wink
latest report
Anywhere (outdoors!!) that has snow and lifts can't be too bad......however I wouldn't rush back to Foppolo.

The piste map shows a small resort...and when you get there, you discover that half the runs on the piste map haven't existed for a few years, and half the lifts have been removed. Still...I hear that they are changing their marketing strapline to "Like Milton Keynes but smaller" wink
snow report
No - cannot think of anywhere totally irredeemable!
snow report
The worst resort I've ever been too is Prato Nevoso aka Prato no snow, in Italy. Dire. But I agree Kaprun is unimpressive too.
latest report
No votes for the Bulgarian resorts yet?? Maybe my investment wasn't so misguided afterall...
snow conditions
Only because we've all heard of Bansko. It's hard not to with the million or so apartments advertised for sale there
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hayls wrote:
The off-piste skiiers have probably heard of it but Alagna, Italy is defintely not for piste skiers (at least not 10 years ago)...................

Ha ha...Not the Hotel Crystallo...??

When we stayed there the chef.........well, crispy frog in a bucket...

and the curious swastikas that cropped up here and there
snow report
JT, I will check, I can't remember as it's been wiped from my memory!
snow report
JT, no, that looks like palace compared to where we stayed! I can't remember the name it was probably 3 star, the rooms weren't bad. Maybe it was the same chef though!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy