Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pila Resort Report Feedback Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is a feedback thread for shane45's resort report:

Pila (February 2006)

Feel free to add, comment, or write your own report...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've just got back from Pila and Chalet des Alpes too. there were 17 of us being a mixture of children, adults and reasonable intermediates (although not so reasonable that it prevented me taking a bad fall and doing my shoulder in).

I read the weather reports for weeks before we went and no blacks appeared to be open. While we were there one black was open nearly all the time and on the last day another black run opened too. There was absolutely loads of snow while we were there. Too much actually - it snowed for all days apart from the first two. I had read lots about the enviable sunshine the resort gets but think we got freak weather that affected much of the area including the Winter Olympics. I had read how efferent they were at maintaining the pistes but I did not see much activity from piste bashers. They seemed parked up most of the time. I didn't mind as the variable conditions made it more interesting but some people prefer more groomed pistes.

I liked it. Being reasonable skiers three of us felt you could cover everything in a few days (two to three). I don' mind doing runs more than once so not problem for me.

As mentioned it did not easily link to other resorts. the advertising says that the pass is valid in Courmayeur for one day. While we were there someone told us that someone else had tried to use the pass there and it had been refused. I wonder if they had the correct pass though.

Everyone who had lessons was very pleased with them. We used Aosta Ski and Snowboard. My wife intended to have a three day brush up but enjoyed the classes so much that she booked a further two days.

All the restaurants on the slopes were very good value. I was told that the restaurant (Barack?) at the top of Chamole is very pricey under new owners - don't know if this is the case. Unlike everywhere else they had no prices outside so expect there is some truth.

Hotel Chalet des Alpes was fine. Good position near the button lift for beginners and Chamole to get higher up on the three man chair. Very quiet but for our group that was fine. We tried to ice skate one night but the rink was not open as the ice was too wet. We found a very nice bar/pizzeria opposite.

A very helpful Scottish lady called Carol helped us when we booked in - she runs her own company called Pilalki.co.uk. She was also doing instruction with Aosta Ski and Snowboard and seems popular with the locals and knows everyone. We went independently but I imagine she would be good to use if you don't want to organise yourself.

The only drawbacks with the hotel were that the food was a bit average sometimes. The buffet starter was always good and everything was perfectly edible but perhaps could have been better. It was not expensive though so I would not expect much better than we got. There wasn't really a room for the children to play in and the bar or lounge didn't have much atmosphere. the hot water for showers could be a bit temperamental too. It was fine though and I would consider going again.

If of nervous disposition do not book coach with Stefano - he texts constantly and speaks on the phone whether you are on the motorway or going up steep windy roads. A bit irresponsible with a group of 17 on board including 9 children between age 2 and 10.

I would recommend it. Very little in the way of queues. I imagine you would have a lot of the slopes to yourself out of half term and weekends.

It is a nice easy transfer from Malpensa - if you hired a car you could probably do it in not much over an hour and a half.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pila - best done through Interski....you stay down in Aosta where it's very 'naturally' Italian. 20 mins up the gondola, and away you go.......... Cool
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
"If of nervous disposition do not book coach with Stefano - he texts constantly and speaks on the phone whether you are on the motorway or going up steep windy roads."

In my experience, ALL Italian coach drivers are like this!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Clive,

I've organised trips with two other coach companies how were the utmost professionals. I wouldn't hesiteta to recommend Autoservizi VOULAZ. They have an English speaking member of staff who responds quickly and efficiently to email. The price was fantatic and the coach was top quality.Massimo is the man to speak to. The website is www.voulaz.it and email is info@voulaz.it. They operate from around Milan so handy for all Milan airports but he assured me if we were thinking of the Dolomites next time they would still be able to help even if were flying to (say) Verona. I have no connection with or interest in the company. Just happy to recommend a top class service.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy