Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich Airport to Westendorf

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys sorry if something similar has already been posted (I couldn't find anything). I am planning to meet up with a couple of people who are flying from England, in Westendorf on Saturday the 17th Feb. To get me there at a good time, I am planning on Flying on Friday the 16th from Dublin, getting the train to Munich Ost and then getting a hotel for the night. I will then get the train from Munich Ost to Worgl and onto Westendorf the following morning. My question is, that if I buy a return ticket now (to travel from the airport and back), will my ticket be valid, from Munich airport through to Westendorf, if I stay overnight in Munich and travel the following day?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wont they be 2 different modes of transport? S-Bahn & U-Bahn?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In germany, the transport is all integrated. S-bahn, U-bahn, bus, tram, all same ticket.

But as there's a day change, I would imagine the ticket is not valid. No idea what would be the most economical. Maybe a return for the 2 Saturdays, and a single from airport to ostbahnhof? or just risk it?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You may be able to use same ticket. The Bahn.de website allows you to specify a stopover, if you click on the additional options button.

Otherwise it won’t cost much more to split ticket over 2 days.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the responses guys. Much appreciated. I was going to buy the tickets online via the trainline?
Would this not be the best option?

Could any of you give me a guide for pricing? Just don't want to get stung.

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@B1g_browner, Deutschebahn website probably best: https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andy wrote:
In germany, the transport is all integrated. S-bahn, U-bahn, bus, tram, all same ticket.

But as there's a day change, I would imagine the ticket is not valid. No idea what would be the most economical. Maybe a return for the 2 Saturdays, and a single from airport to ostbahnhof? or just risk it?

ahh yes, its the ICE trains that throw me!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
B1g_browner wrote:
Thanks for the responses guys. Much appreciated. I was going to buy the tickets online via the trainline?
Would this not be the best option?

Could any of you give me a guide for pricing? Just don't want to get stung.

Thanks in advance.

Munich is similar to London with Zones - with fixed prices (i believe).
Once outside the cities, the prices are dependent on time of day from my limited experience.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Munich to Worgl can probably be done on a Bayern ticket. I'm sure we did when we went to Kufstein. I bought them online, 44 Euro each way for 2 adults (kids travel free). So a total of 88 Euro for 4 people return trip.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Munich to Kufstein only on a Bayern not Worgl
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@B1g_browner, have you considered driving? Car rental from Munich airport is reasonable and the drive to Westendorf would take about 90 minutes. I've driven to Ellmau & Alpbach from Munich and both are easy drives with the majority on the autobahn.
Just an idea.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair Pink wrote:
@B1g_browner, Deutschebahn website probably best: https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml

I can't even find the airport station on that site???
Once you type in more than one letter, it goes dead?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://tickets.oebb.at/en/ticket

I've booked tickets from Munich to Worgl (going to Soll) via his one. Pretty simple to use.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just make sure you research the taxi company telephone numbers for Westendorf station as I made the mistake of expecting to get there and find loads of cards stuck up - nothing and I had to walk up the road carrying all the clobber and find the local bar to get a number. There is an occasional bus - very occasional on a Sunday as is the way in Austria even in ski season.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I can't even find the airport station on that site???
Once you type in more than one letter, it goes dead?

type "flughafen munich", then hit return (edit: or "munich airport" works too)
and it populates the field with "München Flughafen Terminal"

or type in enough of the name for start+destination, and when you submit, if it finds lots of matching places, it complains and gives a drop down list to select from.

bahn.de and oebb.at should both work. one may be cheaper than the other.
snow conditions
one tip by train though...
if you do buy online and pre-print the ticket, make sure you take the same credit card that was used to buy the ticket. they do scan the card (even if it expired in the mean time) to verify the ticket is being used by the right person.
ski holidays
countryman wrote:
Just make sure you research the taxi company telephone numbers for Westendorf station as I made the mistake of expecting to get there and find loads of cards stuck up - nothing and I had to walk up the road carrying all the clobber and find the local bar to get a number. There is an occasional bus - very occasional on a Sunday as is the way in Austria even in ski season.

Excellent tip countryman! Greatly appreciated!
snow conditions
andy wrote:
one tip by train though...
if you do buy online and pre-print the ticket, make sure you take the same credit card that was used to buy the ticket. they do scan the card (even if it expired in the mean time) to verify the ticket is being used by the right person.

Cheers Andy, I'll bear that in mind and give the website another go.
On the trains, you think buying a return online should make travelling over two days ok?
ski holidays
Thanks for all your help guys. Anyone any tips for Westendorf itself? Bars, good places to eat (both up and down the mountain), good runs? Also is there a Westendorf thread showing latest snow conditions etc?
latest report
If you like cream cakes - the Café Elisabeth which is pretty central - gosh they were good - I stayed there and one of the benefits of breakfast buffet was the cream cakes - and normally I am not a cream cake person! There is a night club in the basement of a hotel around there - other than that - everywhere I ate seemed pretty good although fairly Austrian food and I always think for a drinking place with atmosphere follow the crowd.
latest report
countryman wrote:
If you like cream cakes - the Café Elisabeth which is pretty central - gosh they were good - I stayed there and one of the benefits of breakfast buffet was the cream cakes - and normally I am not a cream cake person! There is a night club in the basement of a hotel around there - other than that - everywhere I ate seemed pretty good although fairly Austrian food and I always think for a drinking place with atmosphere follow the crowd.

Brilliant countryman!!! Who doesn’t love a cream cake! Will be trying that out for sure!!! I think the drinking advise is bang on, Any of you other snowheads got a recommendation for food? Like a nice lunch up the slopes.
ski holidays
Also, is there a thread on the snow conditions etc?
ski holidays
Guys, a bit more assistance needed. I decided not to chance it and book two no. return tickets, one from the airport to Munchen Ost and the other from Munchen Ost to Westendorf. When I try to purchase these return tickets on either the OBB or Bahn website, it states that I cannot buy tickets from Munich Airport to Munich Ost?

Also, does anyone have local taxi company numbers to arrange a taxi from Westendorf Station?
snow conditions
You have to buy the ticket from the airport to Munich Ost at the airport, usually from a ticket machine, though I think you can probably also buy them at the help desk.
ski holidays
I would assume Munich Airport to/from Ostbahnhof is the S-Bahn, which will be a local MVV transport thing rather than Deutsche Bahn (even if it is operated by DB Regio for MVV).
As above, just use a ticket machine. It'll be multilingual, and will take about 10 seconds.
https://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/index.html
snow conditions
There is a Taxi Rank inside the terminal as you exit the building - they will call you a taxi from there.
Its also near the trainstation bus station, so you could maybe get a bus? No idea why you cant buy a train ticket though.
snow report
I'd load the "OBB Scotty" onto your phone ..
You can put on your trips .. get the times and prices ...in Austria all the transport links are integrated except Taxis

I just looked it up and its between €34 & €42 depending on which train you catch
it suggests making reservations at some times because of heavy traffic on 17th.

Have a play with the app.
latest report
@espri, @andy, thanks for that helpful tip. Will go with that recommendation.

@Mr.Egg, Are you referring to Munich Ost station or Westendorf Station? Its Westendorf station that I need a taxi from? Another poster above @countryman, has stated that Westendorf Station isn't in the actual Village and that you need a taxi.
@DrLawn, That's a great little app. Will be using that for sure, just to keep me right with platforms and end destination trains etc. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. You are a very helpful lot.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am doing this trip on 3 March. As to taxi in Westendorf, I don't have any specific, but I asked our accommodation about this and they have offered to arrange for a taxi to meet us off the train. Might be worth speaking to your hotel to see if they will do the same.

Would be great to get any feedback once you have done your trip.

Have a great time.
snow conditions
@rg1, Absolutely fantastic idea. Will get onto the hotel people now! I'll pop a little update on the snow conditions etc over in the skiwelt thread when I'm there.
snow report
@rg1, beat me to it; asking the hotel is the way to go
ski holidays
Just an update for everyone. I booked tickets from Munchen OST to Westendorf last night and will pick up the Airport to Munich OST tickets at the train station tonight.
On my ticket confirmation I looked at the dates and it stated the following:

Booking Details >
München Ost > Westendorf in Tirol Bahnhof
One-way journey for ??? ???
valid: Feb 17 - 20 2018 Booking Details >

So in hindsight, I could probably have booked a return from the airport on the Friday and traveled on the Saturday morning. Not that bothered to be honest, just thought I'd let everyone know for future instances.

Thanks once again for all your help guys! You are a great bunch of snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy