Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I’ve got a few days off mid February and IF conditions are good I’m going to take my 11 year old for a few days

He’s skied once before, last year, in the Alps

Which of the Scottish hills have the most alpine feel?
I’ve only done Glencoe, in amazing conditions but it feels like it’s lifts up to the top and then make your own way down, very little in way way of slope preparation and apart from the tows, ungroomed.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That is what is good about Glencoe. If not your thing, head to glenshee. I wouldn't go to cairngorm myself.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Totally agree with @GlasgowCyclops, Glencoe is the best in Scotland, in my opinion, precisely because of what it is. If the snow is good, Glenshee is probably your best bet, or the Nevis range. I'm another that detests what Cairngorm has become and would avoid. Should be the best. Isn't.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another in total agreement with@GlasgowCyclops, if Glenshee has a good snow cover you can travel about and feel like you have skied some distance. Glencoe is a great place for the more experienced as a friend of mine found out this week.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@up4it, if you are up for a few days try and stay somewhere in the middle and go to both once your lad has found his feet as Glencoe is a great place as you know.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@up4it,
The best place to ski is generally the place with the best snow and weather, be prepared to move from one to another. In all honesty Glencoes slopes when in good condition generally offer a great skiing surface. If you have found glencoes surface inadequate in amazing conditions I don't think you will find any of the others better in average conditions.
All can be good none are classically alpine.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Trouble is, he is 11 and a novice, Glencoe is never groomed, its too difficult for inexperienced kids
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whats wrong with Cairngorm btw?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
up4it wrote:
Whats wrong with Cairngorm btw?

It's usually busier, nothing else wrong
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@up4it, I kind of understand your question, but it is a bit like asking is riding regular or goofy on a board, most like skiing? Well neither really, but there are similarities - they are all riding on snow. I would agree with others that when fully open then Glenshee perhaps had the most to offer for you (when my imagination is at its most vivid I can see similarities between Glenshee and Passo Tonale, but maybe not). The lower drags are sometimes bashed at Glencoe and would possibly be suitable, but probably not the best option.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Aonach Mor is good as well in good condition.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
All good advice above. Go where snows best. I will not be returning to Cairngorm for foreseable future due to ques, customer service and the way the place is run.

They all get busy on a weekend, if you can get time off during the week it could be fun.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yes, we are going sunday morning 18th Feb I think it is, ski mon, tues, come home Wednesday, Glenshee looks favourite but I will make no decision until the Saturday night!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was up Glenshee on Saturday. Crowds and queues due to the fine weather and the reports of snow - sadly just the Cairnwell/Butcharts side open + one easy run on Sunnyside. Even so, with full car parks the three-seater to Cairnwell and the rest of the Cairnwell/Butcharts all running meant that my legs still ache from a decent amount of skiing.
They really need more snow East of the A93 so that they can open up Meall Odhar and Glas Maol, then Glenshee is the place to go - they can absorb the crowds far better than the Cairngorm bottlenecks; still worth it for pretty decent pistes and if you get good weather mid-week you'll have plenty to do on what is already open. Watch out for schools mid-term holidays in mid February.
Also, if hiring stop at one of the rental places on the A93 between Blairgowrie and the Kirkmichael turn-off. The wee one on the left just half a mile before the Kirkmichael junction is great, not much space for cars so never long queues.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy