Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lift Pass Prices

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Was just online at https://www.obergurgl.com/ski-pass-prices to book the lift passes for our week from next weekend. No doubt about it that they are getting to be a serious expense these days. The boys are all now on youth rates at least and even with just 4 of us going this time its north of a €1000 for the week. I've just started a massive clearcut of old paperwork so will see what the oldest statement I can find is dated and see what the damage has increased by...

One thing I did notice is the the % saving for a six day pass compared to a daily pass is definitely less compared to, IIRC, what it used to be?

For Obergurgl this season an adult 1 day pass is €52. A 6 day pass is €285. If instead you bought 6 one day passes it's €312 only €27 or roughly half a day pass more? Bizarrely a 'flexible' 5 out of 7 day pass at €268 is dearer then 5 one day passes at €260?

if it was a two week break, assuming a 13 day pass, its much different, a whopping €206 euro saving over 13 one day passes.

Yes, I realise that the resort is simply taking its biggest margin on its biggest seller, but I'll be a thinking a bit more about trip lengths in future? Doing a 2 week trip to a big linked area rather than 2 separate weeks.

I also think I'll wait and purchase at the last moment once I see the weather forecast for the w/c 28th Jan now. If the forecast is poor and I save on just one bad weather day then thats €100 still in my wallet.

Anyone else found/done/thinking the same?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The longer you go for the more frustrating it gets, because at 2 weeks you're almost bumping up against a season pass price. E.g here in Wengen, 6 days CHF356, 13 days CHF569, whole season CHF666.

Lots of resorts in Switzerland have deliberately made season passes very attractive to encourage multiple visits per season.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In the five years since I last went, I'm sure either my memory has gone to mush or things have crept up big time. I swear I had a EK lift pass for under £200 one February... think I saw it's about £280 now.

Did Andorra on a 5-night trip and at £115 for a pass it seemed a bargain (probably because Andorra is more valued-oriented) but nonetheless, I'm now looking at shorter trips. For me it kind of makes sense anyway; not yet sure the kids will enjoy a full week so while we're dipping their toes in the water so to speak, means we're cutting overall costs.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@telford_mike, Yes I remember thinking that when I last did two weeks at a time. In 2010 I did almost a month and it was pretty much the same as the season pass. Yes I know about the Swiss idea and its a good one. No1 son had 10 days in Saas Fee at New year and bought the season pass back in the autumn on a special offer for no more than my 6 day pass would cost now. He is now pleading to be financed to go back at Easter on the basis that he already has the pass so from the Saas Fee lift coys point of view it works.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Season pass is really good value. Salzburg Superski is €690 covers from November to May, 23 ski regions, 3,000km of pistes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Canada last year, the silverstar earlybird season pass was £480, the break even point was just 9 days so if you wre there more than 9 days, it was cheaper to buy a season ticket. I think the day pass at Kicking horse was ~£70!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I bought the 3 year Saas Pass last season. After 12 days it had paid for its self, and I ski for free this season and next season.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Season pass is really good value. Salzburg Superski is €690 covers from November to May, 23 ski regions, 3,000km of pistes.

That's crazy, in my resort I pay €465 for one area, 70km!

Quote:

Canada last year, the silverstar earlybird season pass was £480, the break even point was just 9 days so if you wre there more than 9 days, it was cheaper to buy a season ticket. I think the day pass at Kicking horse was ~£70!

Yeah I remember buying a season pass in Whistler because I was there for two weeks and it was cheaper to do it that way
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I paid $150/day (£115!) at Northstar in California. Season passes are $600-900 which I think is the lowest day-season ratio I've seen.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I do wonder why North American ski resorts are so expensive? I snowboarded in Killington at least 15 years ago and it was expensive then! They would say its down to their lift technology/infrastructure i guess, but i don't remember them being anything special (though they don't have many drag lifts). I think European resorts have caught up however with less drag lifts and better chairlifts and the like so why the difference!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Sweedish, is it not because there's typically no competitors close by?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sweedish, If you think it only pays for the lifts, then think again. They have a lot more area to patrol, make safe and rescue folks from if they have problems - all of which takes manpower.

The day rate advertised is very rarely paid, as most people get discounted tickets from some place selling them, or pay to be part of a multi ticket. Locals will buy a season pass, as its only the cost of a few day rates. Their business model generally works - even when there are resorts close to each other.

They will obviously charge what they can - we're actually paying an eye watering $23.25 for a days skiing in Feb. this year:-D Shame we're only there a couple of days.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy