Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are your skis insured if skis not locked

Poster: A snowHead
Jonpim wrote:
I remain perplexed why everyone doesn't lock up their skis.
We tend to lock up everything else.
Bicycles especially - even if not worth much, there is the inconvenience of how to get home without.
Locks don't cost much - they are quick and easy to use.
I use one all the time
Why doesn't everyone?
The best answer i can think of is Tradition and Habit.
Or maybe it is not "cool" to lock up your skis.
Whatever, it doesn't seem sensible to me.

Well I never lock mine up or split them, just ski up and step out. But you can do what works for you. All about choice.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I tend to lock as well.

Annoyingly, I had two bikes stolen from outside my local (in Geneva) in 9 months as while I'd locked them, I hadn't locked them to anything and assumed we were much more crime free than we are... one was worthless, the replacement wasn't that expensive but really, really irritating.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've watched two drunken bellends outside an apres bar taking almost every pair of skis from where they were stacked, putting them on the snow, and then trying to clip into them. The game seemed to continue until they clipped into a pair, then they were happy they had found "their skis" and started skiing off.

When challenged they suddenly became able to describe every details of "their skis" by looking at them, and describing them. Given that both pairs of skis they had clipped into were hire skis, I pretty much took the view that they were almost certainly renting their own skis and the shops would work it out at the end of their stay.

But just watching it reminded me why I lock my skis up. They look nothing like almost any other ski around, but if some bellend decided he quite liked the look of them when he clipped in I'd be down a pair of skis with (eventually once everybody has left) a crap pair of rentals in return.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Might be a dumb question, but how to ski locks tend to work? A lot of places you can't even find space on the racks for your skis, do they just hold the skis together?

I go for the split method with my friends
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i have never bothered locking my skis before, mainly only using the split ski method (when i am with others!!), but i am going to order a couple of locks from amazon. 2 or 3 cheapie £10 ones for the family as they will have hire skis, though they are insured it is mainly due to inconvenience factor whilst in resort, but will buy either the logski one or the other one on amazon for about £30 for my skis and poles, though you would never be able to pick them up by mistake, unless you are a Chelsea fan and fellow snowhead, as they are plastered with said stickers!!!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bennisboy, i put mine on the end of the rack and put the cable round the end posts .....or i subtly shift some along so i can get the cable on the bottom strut. Failing that we split and lock a few single skis together
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My first day skiing for a couple of decades last week and after the lesson, I parked the rental skies against the wall outside lesson. When i came back I found an identical on top of them! Probably another beginner i’d guess but easy to see how mistakes are made in that situation. Luckily i remembered the rental number on them!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We use safeman locks. A bit fiddly till you get the hang of them, but more versatile than standard cable locks.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessorieslocks/safeman-compact-pocket-cable-lock/
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gods teeth what next ?

People have to carry helmets, googles, gloves, sunscreen, shades, camel bag, rucksack, phones and now a ski lock?

Just split the pair up and sort of hide them a bit.
I worry about my poles more.

I must admit I have had skis nicked in the past, but that was a freshly rented pair I just left outside the ski shop while I carried the rest of the families skis back to the appartment.

This was on a Sunday evening in Les Arcs back when Terry Waite got kidnapped. (apparently he didnt lock his bike up either).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As others have said unless your kit is very news then insurance isn't much use for most cases as they are not worth much (in insurance eyes). The main reason I use a lock is just to deter a thief. While my snowboard might not be worth $$ value, its certain worth lots of $$$ in terms of lost time spent on the slope if it were to be stolen sorting it all out, getting a replacement etc etc. A simple lock can be very tiny and just fit in your pocket.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I always lock mine, the cable is pretty long so I always find something to lock them to. It's really just to deter walk-past theft, and stop people taking them by mistake. It's small but fairly sturdy and has worked so far.

My theory is, in a rack of unlocked skis, the others will be nicked first!

In answer to the OP, my insurance doesn't require them to be locked.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We had a pair of ski poles robbed in Val D'Isere a couple of years ago. Crappy rentals too. Really busy day with racks full, so we'd put skis and poles under a tree a little ways away from everything else, hard to see a mistake there.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I use a Ski Lock (easily fits in pocket) and bring my carbon poles into the restaurant.

Insurance companies like you to take reasonable precautions....and leaving your skis unattended and unlocked, leaves you very exposed.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have this one, it's very good for the price. I'd say it's worth £11 not have the faff of someone walking off with your skis..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosvision-Ultra-Secure-Combination-Retractable-Snowboard/dp/B0774KHPHX?tag=amz07b-21

This one looks OK as well:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ABUS-Combiflex-2503-cable-72501/dp/B01N4667FL/ref=cts_sp_2_vtp?tag=amz07b-21

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 28-01-18 22:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Old Fartbag, Oncw they have been stolen how can they tell if they were locked or not? I have had a locked bike stolen .
snow report
Rabbie wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Oncw they have been stolen how can they tell if they were locked or not? I have had a locked bike stolen .

I suppose you could take a picture of your skis locked on a rack, with a paper showing the date at the start of the Holiday. Toofy Grin

At least it would show you have a lock.
snow report
@Old Fartbag, yes but would that show you had used the lock when they were stolen. The insurance company dont care if you have a lock, only that you use it if that is their condition. People just aren't going to photograph their skis every time they lock them.
ski holidays
Rabbie wrote:
@Old Fartbag, yes but would that show you had used the lock when they were stolen. The insurance company dont care if you have a lock, only that you use it if that is their condition. People just aren't going to photograph their skis every time they lock them.

If they leave the broken lock behind, that might be considered proof....I am making this up as I go along. Madeye-Smiley
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy