Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on driving from Munich to Garmisch Partenkirchen

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I am doing a ski weekend in garmisch partenkirchen and it is easiest for me to hire a car from the airport. I am just wondering what the drive is like as I have not driven to a ski resort before (be have been on many transfer across sketchy roads).

Is it an easy/difficult drive? Do I need to request anything additional when hiring a car e.g. winter tires?

Thanks, and sorry for being a bit clueless.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The car will have winter tyres, they are mandatory in Germany in winter. The road to Garmisch is unlikely to be a problem but if the weather is severe chains may be required (doubtful but never say never).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We did it in early March a few years ago. Try to avoid driving through central Munich on a Friday evening would be my advice (that's the way our satnav took us!). Many, many roadworks, but otherwise an easy drive.

It is very easy to park at the ski lifts in Garmish itself. If you intend to head up over to the glacier I would recommend taking the early morning train as it took us over an hour to get up on the cable car - standing in a queue for that length of time in ski boots was not fun (and we had still got there quite early).

Really enjoyed the skiing there - was just enough for a weekend.

On the way back we took the scenic route so that we could visit Neuschwanstein Castle.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not sure how it will have helped the queueing, but a new mega cable car opened in December
http://www.dw.com/en/zugspitze-cable-car-of-the-future/a-18570916

Some pretty impressive videos of the construction are worth googling for...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy