Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Instruction/coaching in Scotland?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know that all resorts technically have ski schools, but does anyone have any specific input or recommendations please?
Was up this last weekend (and intend to go a lot more this year if conditions allow) with the aim of getting in a good deal of instruction to improve my technique generally (piste, steeps, bumps and moving towards off-piste) - and particularly with the recently-deligamented knees and consequential limitations, weaknesses and most of all fears.
Disappointingly, I couldn't find anything helpful when I was up the West side (or really when looking on line at the East). I know it's early season, so maybe things will improve, but Nevis would only offer 1 hour lessons (which would about make 1 drag lift ride, then...) at a very set mid-day time and Glencoe had no instructors at all on-site. The other resorts, from what I could see online, also only seemed to offer 1 or 2 hour private lessons, some reasonably priced, some rather more expensive, and again at quite set times, not always when I would plan to want my instruction.
Less concerned at the moment on drills or specific issues, more someone to assess me and make helpful suggestions and give tips and advice on whatever they see and whatever problems I'm having.
What I really want is to be able to hire someone experienced (and able to understand injury/rehab limitations) for a whole day who can asssit me to improve throughout the mountain, whatever the conditions are, but failing that for at least 2-3 hours on a private basis to enable us to get to some of the areas where I'd like to work on things. I also don't want to spend time I'm paying for - particularly on a short lesson - travelling up the oft-slow uplifts just to get to a decent area where I want to work on stuff. In climbing terms I would just hire a Guide for the day: but do such people exist in the skiing world?
Ideally it would be good to be able to decide on the day if I want or can cope with a lesson, rather than have to book for the next day, and of course weather conditions also dictate whether it's worth it.
Any ideas? (Any volunteers???)
Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try Gillian Parker nee Culshaw sister to Alison Culshaw - based in Fort William - can contact her thro the offpisteperformance site. Can definitely recommend her & she will sort you out!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
you could PM balernostu on here and see if he can recommend anyone (or if he would do it himself.....)

Happy to ski a bit with you unofficially if our paths cross and see if I can spot anything, I'm aiming to get to Glencoe/Nevis Range once they get some more depth and if the Back Corries open....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nevis claim a much wider offering https://www.nevisrange.co.uk/ski-board/passes-prices/lessons/

Glencoe also claim for more...

Cairngorm (as I'd expect) have a handful of ski schools. G2 look good.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, If you look at that Nevis link it only gives a price for 1 hour under private, and that's it. It's not per hour. When I went to enquire they could only offer 1 hour, 1230-1330 hrs, and that was that.
Glencoe looked good but had a "closed" sign on the door when I got there (shame, I really could have done with some help on those upper runs Embarassed - actually more Crying or Very sad at times).

@kitenski, Thanks for the offer. However, Back Corries probably requires quite a bit of said instruction first, not to mention quad strength. Who stole the last 10 years' worth if fitness? Oh yeah, that stupid out of control female hound who cannoned into me Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Grizzler, you didn't specify private lessons ... Glencoe, for all it's charm and sterling efforts to remain viable has always been a bit, dare I say it, of an enthusiasts/volunteer's area (nowt wrong with that, I know many excellent skiers whose first tracks were at the Coe).

From the N-East coast are you not better heading to Aviemore/Cairngorm, rather than out West?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, Sorry, thought I had said 1:1; probably buried in the diatribe.

From where I live it's equal W or E Scotland. I have always gone Cairngorm before, with Nevis or Glenshee or Lecht as weather backups - but was advised to go west this last trip, the only reason I've commented on that.

Happy to go to any resort if skiiable, preferably with some visibility, not super-high winds and with reasonable conditions to learn something from (whatever that and they may respectively be). As said before, it's really grab whatever's available, wherever available. Just desperate to get back to skiing and to get better at it. Having a range of resources to suit would therefore be useful.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Grizzler, nae wurries.

All things considered, Scotland is a bit of a midnight the night before decision. So, you take what you think you might get.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Grizzler, ski schools generally flexible though subject to instructor availability, existing bookings etc, however by arrangement (and advance booking of course) what you seek is readily possible. Glenshee in particular, given a fair day mid-week once fully open, has great terrain and variety to suit what you're looking for, and is maybe the pick. Maybe check with the ski school there, or might possibly be able to help you, but next 'window' for me would be late Jan/early Feb. The Lecht ski school would currently be able to help with an assessment or more. Hope this helps.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Irrev, it all helps, thanks. Will get some numbers and phone to see what might be available; mid week is fine by me if it's also good with the weather Gods.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Grizzler, if you're heading to Glencoe then perhaps contact @duplo (Denry) as he's teaching there this season. Having skied with him a fair bit at Braehead I think he'd be ideal.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Give Gulabin a call at Glenshee. What level of skier are you? Check the Warren Smith videos to assess level.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy