Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski in the first week of April

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks, looking for a last ski week this season starting with 30/31 of march.
Something snow sure if possible, with many blue pistes and some nice wide red ones to groom and grow ourselves up. Since we hadn't book anything yet, i imagine only a chalet/remote hotel will still be available at reasonable prices.
Last year it was quite fun at Les Arcs 2000 albeit a bit too slushy (i know, spring time etc.) What is your opinion on something else? Tignes vs Val Thorens or perhaps Flaine?
If not France, where can I still expect good ski conditions in Italy or Austria? I loved skiing over the glaciers in Solden in December, will there be anything long enough in the beginning of April?
Many thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Easter doesn’t tend to be so booked up, so I don’t think it’ll be too tricky to find somewhere. VT or Tignes are likely to have less slush given altitude and therefore air temps, and I can’t imagine there will be any lack of snow in the linked resorts in the 3V or EK either.
Flaine is actually quite low (resort at 1600m and highest point 2500 ish).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@drporat, Zermatt as an option for height and glaciers? At its best in April. Quite pricey though. EK and VT also great options for April - doubt they’re much cheaper mind
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You mentioned Austria, I had a great week's skiing in Obergurgl in early April. Has lots of pistes of the kind you describe.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In addition to the other places suggested, we stayed in Gressoney one year early April (there last week of the season) and found the skiing lovely and the area REALLY quiet. We were often going up chair lifts with nobody else in sight on it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Last year I was at closing day in Sölden in early May, with the best end of season conditions for a few years. The end of the season is not at the end of March, most places at least. Check the closing dates.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Look at Cervinia too
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another to look at is St Anton or Lech
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We skied VDI last year (and are returning this Easter too) despite it being very warm, there was excellent skiing above the mid-station, late into the afternoon.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Maybe think about going north rather than high.

We skied Norway later than this last year and the snow was good. Also plenty of blue runs and not too difficult reds and blacks where we were in Trysil.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You might want to try Ischgl in Austria too. Never mind the end of March the resorts open till the end of April. You'd also be there for their free Easter top-of-the-mountain concert staring Max Giesinger*.

* No, I've no idea who he is either.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I skied Engelberg in the LAST week of April last season. There was more snow than they knew what to do with!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was in Cervinia late in March last year and there was still plenty of snow, though the weather was rather cloudy and not the wall to wall sunshine I expected in Spring. Very high, and you have the link over to Zermatt to keep you entertained.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was thinking of going to VDI/Tignes to be snow sure, since Les Arcs 2000 was slushy last Easter and ValTho is a bit too high for my comfort zone, but we have just been offered for the first week of April two surprising offers: Campitello in Sella Ronda, or Mayrhofen.
Your opinions, snow-wise for that period, and evidently the pistes. Blue pistes less interest us now, after Serre Che and Bansko. Mainly wide and groomed reds. And easy blacks, like in those last 2 resort i mentioned.
TIA, folks Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I can't comment on the Italian one, but Mayrhofen would be great. Most of the skiing is up high, plenty of decent challenging runs - including Harakiri. Apres is good fun as well.
snow report
@drporat, looking at current snow depths think they'll be plenty of snow in Arcs area this year at that time
snow report
@Boris, you are probably right but there is still a month to go. Last year we had great snow at 2000 but it was still slushy and mogulled by lunch time. It is an amazing place to be in the winter with all its connections.
I reckon Val d'Isere will be better, then I got those 2 offers to think about.
@HoneyBunny, any recommendations for central locations in the area? Close to the lifts.
snow report
@drporat, if you don't like a bit of afternoon slush then April skiing is for you!

Early April in Paradiski/Espace Killy/3V will be fine. There will be plenty of skiing to be had. You don't have to stay high - where you start from and end up isn't an issue.
latest report
@drporat, I hope I'm right as we'll be there!

Last season we went at Xmas and snow was okay and wasn't a lot more between then and Easter - this year I'm more confident
snow conditions
I decided to go to EK, now I need your (yet another) recommendation.
We will come with a rented car, planning to ski from place to place all over the area, mainly on blues and reds. Start at 8 and finish at 16, god/weather willing
Can not decide where to choose our base, probably on AirB&B since all that remains available is over 1800 EUR.
Between Tignes and Val d'Isere, which one (and where)) is better regarding parking, restaurants/SPAR and most important - fast access to ski lifts and ski bus?
latest report
@drporat, if staying at in Tignes (except Les Breviere) you have to pay to park. Something like 70 Euros for outdoors. Les Brev is perhaps not the most convenient to access the ski area but is a good place to stay otherwise. Not sure about the parking in Val D.

Where are you looking for apartments. Have you been to tourist information? 1800 is very expensive assuming it's for an apartment.
ski holidays
@Layne, so not in Les Brev since we need a fast access to a central lift. Ideal smth ski in/out but probably it is too late for that
On Chalets Direct, catered chalets were between 1400 and 2800 uk pounds. Shocked
La Toviere on Hotels.com was 1800 EUR (w/o breakfast), La Savoyarde was 2200 - w breakfast. Both in ValD.
Hence we will have to go with AirBnB, unless someone here knows better snowHead
ski holidays
@drporat, TO/chalet/Hotel deals will be cheaper 7-10 days before. It's too early for them to discount now. I think in general Tignes will be a little cheaper than Val D. If you are happy to rent an apartment there will be availability I'm sure. We booked a place in Les Coches a week ago and there was plenty of availability (for 24th March).
snow conditions
Leave it 10 days and look on line offers. Given snow depths now and forecasts are suggesting significant dumps I think you will be ok in most resorts including those that might not always have the option for you to ski back to the lowest lift stations. Think Ski Miquel were discounting that week. Serre chevalier/ Montgenvre will have plenty of snow so you dont need to rely on glacier resorts this year.
ski holidays
@dan100, you are probably right, but in the second half of march a spring warm air wave may come and change evth. Montgenevre is too small for us, i've been to Serre Chevalier and Risoul this January. It was fun, educating and tasty, it helped me progress a lot but I've done there every piste back and forth. The local ski renting guys told us that march is usually the limit for good long skiing.
@Layne, do you think there will still be good snow that low at the end of march? Wish you all the best but last april (a week later and with a worse season than this year) at Les Arcs 1800 wasn't nice at all. We kept ourselves busy most of the time in the 2000 bowl. Hence EK this april Puzzled

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 28-02-18 16:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Just booked a week in La Plagne for 1st week of Easter. Went there a few years ago Easter and the ski conditions and area was excellent. Fingers crossed will be as good this time.
ski holidays
drporat wrote:
@Layne, do you think there will still be good snow that low at the end of march? Wish you all the best but last april (a week later and with a worse season than this year) at Les Arcs 1800 wasn't nice at all. We kept ourselves busy most of the time in the 2000 bowl. Hence EK this april Puzzled

I've been to Les Coches many times early and late season. The links to the Vanoise Express and to the rest of the La Plagne always stay open with artificial snow. If I need to I can ski high and still ski home. If visibility is poor the trees above Les Coches and on the other side of the VE are the perfect antidote. Best of both worlds wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy