Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trying to book a long weekend in Andorra - help?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm trying to book a few nights in Andorra to meet up with some Spanish friends but I'm struggling, I'm usually quite good at this stuff and have spent ages looking for a suitable place.

Our Spanish friends are happy to drive as it a short hop flight and the same side of the road for them, and with one non skier, they want to stay in Andorra la Vella, whereas I don't want to drive and want stay as close as possible to a lift (usually do ski in/out in France). We are travelling Wed to Monday, and looking for 2 rooms in a comfortable B&B hotel for around £125/night. I can't seem to find anything in Soldeu so I'm looking at Canillo. I hate walking more than 100m while carrying skis, and have only rarely resorted to a ski bus.

From what I understand, a lot of people drive the short distances, as the gondolas are quite a walk, and the buses are not very frequent, but I don't want a hire car (4 people 4 large cases and the chance of bad weather, parking hassle/expense (and no alcohol). We are all experienced skiers so I think Arinsal will be too limiting piste wise. We don't need crazy apres but would like a few bars and nearby restaurants.

The private transfer prices from Barcelona look very expensive - more than Geneva to Val Thorens, my usual DIY route, but hanging around for a coach is something I also want to avoid. Is there an easier option that doesn't involve lugging our cases through the city?

I just don't understand Andorra:(
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try Encamp and use the funival lift to access grandvalira
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Encamp looks like a possibility, but the time from hotel door to first descent still looks quite long. Can you ski down back into Encamp? Also, if you chose to end the day in Soldeu, how do you get back? Searching all the websites for info, seems the free ski bus ends in Canillo and the urban buses don't run that often and might require you to take your boots off and store skis underneath
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try AndorraTravelService.com They are in Soldeu, Lockers for skis & boot can be rented in the gondola station.
I'm in resort just now.
You cannot ski down to Encamp.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arinsal will be too limiting for you better to try Pas de la casa... Plenty of hotels right on the slopes..Olympiads for example.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Are you taking your own kit or renting?
I leave my rental stuff in the locker under the shop (El Tarter) so I don't have to walk back to apt in ski boots.

See if you can get an apartment instead of a B&B?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@FrequentFaller, Pas is a bit too far from Andorra la Vella where our friends are staying, also the reviews put me off a bit re architecture and over enthusiastic 20 something apres

@Orange200, We'll be renting but I have my own boots, so a ski locker would be OK, but I still wouldn't want a long walk or bus ride. I was looking at apartments, but needed a double room and a twin, and I'd prefer not to share one bathroom between four adults! That said, we have just this moment had one drop out, as the cost/duration/ski convenience didn't add up. It might make the apartment option viable again (or even a week long package), but I quite like having breakfast ready for me - eat and go - less morning faff:)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pas is not pretty I agree but as our hotel was on the slopes we never spent any time wandering about. We also spent most of the time in the hotel bar so avoided the 20 something's you speak of.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pas is not pretty I agree but as our hotel was on the slopes we never spent any time wandering about. We also spent most of the time in the hotel bar so avoided the 20 something's you speak of.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dubmuffin, Hire cars are crazy cheap from Barcelona and its a very easy drive up to Andorra.

For accom try hotelopia, you can select the options 'includes ski pass' as well as B&B. There should be options there within budget and close to the gondolas.
Also a few of the Andorra La Vella hotels have free shuttles to the slopes, worth considering, I've used the Novotel in the past.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the advice. We've gone down the package route, ended up with a whole week based in El Tarter, so plenty time to explore the area fully:) Now all I have to do is obsessively look at the weather forecasts for the next 6 weeks snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Enjoy!

Let us know how you find it, I've had some great trips and mega dumps in Andorra over the years. Only ever spent 2-3 days at a time there tho. Others here have been and hated it.

Arcalis is a great wee area in fresh snow, worth a trip if you get the opportunity.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@alasdair.graham@hotmail.c, Thanks Alasdair, I will. I have never quite fancied it in "on paper" but others do rave about the slopes, so we'll see. I'm sure I'll find some favoured pistes, there are a lot to choose from. It'll make a change from France:)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy