Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix-Argentiere vs Verbier vs Val D'Isere

Poster: A snowHead
I am coming from the US for 8 nights in mid-February flying into/departing from Geneva - is it feasible to combine two resorts in one week (3 days skiing at each)? It looks like transfers are available between all resorts but I do not know if this is feasible and if the roads are closed or treacherous driving in winter. I have already booked Chamonix-Argentiere to ski the Les Grand Montets - so I am trying to decide whether to combine with Verbier or Val D'Isere. I am a family with teenagers, we are all advanced skiers but do not need to find the steepest couloirs/chutes. How are the current ski conditions at each of these resorts? And any other suggestions?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From Chamonix/Argentiere, it'd probably be easier to get to Verbier, though it would depend on your dates. If the pass is open and you have your own car, it's a 45-60min drive. If the pass is closed, it means there's a LOT of snow - they'll get it open as quickly as they (safely) can, and you'll have great skiing both ends.

Val d'Isere is a lot further, as in 4 hours minimum.

If you don't have a car, and are relying on public transport, you'll have limited options, but both are doable.

Current ski conditions - plenty of snow. Can't say more than that this far out.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The full Chamonix pass includes a free day at Verbier. we went there for a day on the way back to Geneva Airport, a quick journey of the roads are clear. For 4 people hiring a car is ideal and much more flexible and quicker than transfers. The pass also give you a free day in Courmayeur and discount for the Mont Blanc Tunnel, if conditions are bad in Chamonix they are often better in Courmayeur (and vice versa)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
They keep the mountain pass between Chamonix and Verbier open very quickly after snow, I've never known it closed for more than the night of a big fall, always open the next morning (though my experience is not a guarantee!)

It is extremely simple to get a train between Chamonix and Verbier, spectacular too as it does not really follow the road and has some really steep cog sections. One change of train in Martigny, but it really is simple. Takes about an hour.
There are several stations in the Chamonix valley so it does not really matter where you are staying.
For Verbier it goes to Le Chable and the station is all of 30 yards from the lift station that goes direct to Verbier town.

After Verbier you can get a train back to Geneva airport too if you like, or various bus transfers.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 15-01-18 18:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Generally the Cols des Montets and Forclaz open pretty quickly. This year has been a bit of an exception, due to the immense snow. And of course the current Forclaz mudslide.

Cham to Val a p.i.t.a.

Cham to Verbier easy by car or train.

Current conditions at all are, frankly, amazing. Arguably best in 20 years....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@mwc888, 3 of the best Euro resorts for good skiers and conditions are the best for years and set to get better! As per @fixx, and @rungsp, Verbier is much easier to combine with Chamonix and the suggestion above to fit in a Courmayeur day on the Hellbronner is a very good one. In case you go ahead with Verbier, drop me a PM. Our Verbier apartment is free from 13th - 16th Feb in case that fits with your dates (and I can do you a good deal). Alternatively, happy to give you the low down on Verbier - check the Verbier 4 Valleys thread for recent action. Enjoy!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mwc888, @On the rocks, I think Cham pass only gets you a 50% discount at verbier rather than a free day, unless you have the annual pass. Thus if you're doing 3 days at each, you'll want 2 separate passes.

Conditions were amazing 10 days ago, and there's a lot of snow forecast for the next few days. Youve picked the right year to swap US for Europe!

Personally I'd save Val for a whole week trip at some point given the challenges of getting there vs Cham, courmayeur and verbier. Not sure how easily you'd get 3 nights accom in mid Feb in Val either.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
6 day Cham unlimited gives you a free day each at Verbier and courmayeur well it did for us couple of years ago, but not with Le Pass
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you're considering using the train/bus/télépherique in Switzerland the excellent SBB time-tabler is at https://www.sbb.ch/en There is a rail station right inside the airport.

The Swiss Weather Bureau app is called 'MeteoSwiss' and you can customise locations of interest, and alerts. The animated snow/rain forecast is good at giving you an idea of upcoming weather for your preferred location.

It may be worth downloading the Geneva Airport App as well, while you're on home broadband, called 'GVApp'

The Verbier Webcams are on the verbier.ch site at http://www.verbier.ch/fr/webcams/webcams.htm with a realtime video feed from the main square (Place Centrale) at http://www.verbier.ch/fr/webcams/webcam-place-central/webcam-place-centrale.htm where it is currently snowing!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Col de Forclaz is currently closed to traffic due to a landslide and is likely to remain so for 2-3 weeks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also if you are using public transport, I'd recommend the SBB train app, really comprehensive for Switzerland and covers a number of services into France/Germany/Austria as well.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Steve Sparks, I hadn't mentioned as the OP was talking mid-Feb, by which point it should (!) have been cleared.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@On the rocks, Changed a couple of yrs back, see:
https://www.montblancnaturalresort.com/media/download/cmbb2c/cms/media/site-hiver/documents/fiches-produits/FR/Acces-Verbier-FR.pdf

50% discount if you have a 6-21 day pass
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mwc888 wrote:
I am coming from the US for 8 nights in mid-February flying into/departing from Geneva - is it feasible to combine two resorts in one week (3 days skiing at each)? It looks like transfers are available between all resorts but I do not know if this is feasible and if the roads are closed or treacherous driving in winter. I have already booked Chamonix-Argentiere to ski the Les Grand Montets - so I am trying to decide whether to combine with Verbier or Val D'Isere. I am a family with teenagers, we are all advanced skiers but do not need to find the steepest couloirs/chutes. How are the current ski conditions at each of these resorts? And any other suggestions?

Having some experience in the Canadian Rockies (last year) and in the Alps (for 15 years): Please note that only the slopes in the resorts in the Alps are "avalanche safe". They don't work with "avalanche safe" resort boundaries in the Alps.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name,
Quote:

I hadn't mentioned as the OP was talking mid-Feb, by which point it should (!) have been cleared.

Just announced that it's shut until March https://www.lenouvelliste.ch/articles/valais/canton/le-col-de-la-forclaz-ferme-jusqu-en-mars-730240
snow conditions
Steve Sparks wrote:
@under a new name,
Quote:

I hadn't mentioned as the OP was talking mid-Feb, by which point it should (!) have been cleared.

Just announced that it's shut until March https://www.lenouvelliste.ch/articles/valais/canton/le-col-de-la-forclaz-ferme-jusqu-en-mars-730240

Bloody hell, I was determined this was the year I was going to get back to taking some value from those 'free' Verbier passes. Oh well, at least it's still saying early March.
ski holidays
Train is still running
snow conditions
Mid Feb equals French school hols. I hope you have your accommodation sorted as you might find it hard to find shorter stay places, especially if you want to stay in the heart of a resort.

Current ski conditions? No shortage of snow in any of the places you are looking at. Whether you get a good dump while you are there is in the lap of the gods.
If the weather permits, you are all up for it and can book a mountain guide, it really sounds like you should try and ski the Vallee Blanche on one of your days in Chamonix.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy