Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Airbags in carry on luggage with Easyjet - anyone tried it?

Poster: A snowHead
Have travelled for years now with a BCA Float, I stick the compressed air canister in with my skis and never had a problem.

Easyjet now say you can take them as cabin luggage http://www.easyjet.com/en/terms-and-conditions/dangerous-goods

I would prefer this as I hate the idea of my skis getting stopped when they are scanned once they have gone through, that way I am without skis and airbag!

Has anyone taken the compressed cylinder on as cabin luggage - interested to know how you got on with airport security?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had a Black Diamond (battery) airbag on test for a few weeks last season and took it on a total of 6 flights (as hand baggage) - got questioned about it once.

Can't help about gas bags but I'd certainly expect more issues at security (and they won't care what the airline allows!).

FWIW I also had a gas canister confiscated from my ski bag (in the hold) once - they just took the canister out (I picked it up on my return flight) and sent the skis on as usual no problem (same with my mate's ski bag/canister).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
interpaul wrote:
Has anyone taken the compressed cylinder on as cabin luggage - interested to know how you got on with airport security?
No hope. Pack it in your hold luggage, and probably best to declare to your airline in case it gets spotted if your hold luggage is x-rayed.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Contradictory to Rob@rar.... We have flown with airbags on Easyjet - once from Manchester and once from Luton. We took with us a copy of the IATA regulations and, despite that, were almost denied boarding at Luton (something of a jobsworth ar security). After producing a copy of the regulations we were allowed through security.

The issue wasn't with Easyjet but with the airport security. We spoke to Easyjet staff on each occasion (prior to going through security) and they didn't have a problem with our airbags.

We've also flown twice with Ryanair, via, Manchester, without any problems.

We've also travelled Air Canada via Heathrow without problems - but Newcastle (with BA) was a different story..... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Bergmeister, you took the compressed air cylinder in to the cabin as part of your hand luggage? I've heard of several stories where cylinders have been refused by airport security (which will always be the issue as generally individual airlines don't check the contents of your hand luggage at the gate, only paying interest if your hand luggage is obviously outside their size/weight regulations).

I wouldn't risk it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes - on each occasion with Easyjet (& twice with Ryanair) we took the air cylinder in the ABS rucksack, unscrewed from the unit but still in the ABS rucksack.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have always declared with the carrier (ba) when I’ve needed to carry my Mammut PAS airbag and canister; a simple email to their Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor and he puts a note on my booking for the benefit of check in staff.
Never had any issues taking it through airport security, but do always carry copies of the IATA regs and a the note from the BA advisor just for clarity should it be questioned.
The note I receive from the nice man at BA says the whole lot can be carried in hand luggage as long as it is disconnected with no means of activating, but would suggest that the canister go in the hold if possible.
Nick
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lots of info in the thread Rob started:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=72233&start=400#3008969

I tried canisters in both hand luggage and hold. More about the airport security than the carrier.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bergmeister, Was the cylinder detected and checked manually every time at the X-ray scanner?

If not, you got away with it due to lax security. I would have expected you to have produced the IATA 2.3 regulations every time.

Mine has always went in the hold, with prior airline notification and declaration at checkin/bag drop. I usually got asked questions and occasionally a phone call took place. Once I even got to the airport lounge and was called to the lounge desk for confirmation of what it was. I now have a fan pack to remove any issues.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think the easyJet link in OP is pretty much a direct copy of the IATA regs and its always been technically possible to take them as hand luggage.

Issue is not the airlines but security at different airports which is hit and miss. Best get written confirmation from each airport security in advance. I once spoke to the head of security at Newcastle airport and he confirmed by email that no issues to take them as hand luggage, however couldn’t get the same confirmation from Geneva so didn’t bother with the hand luggage option in the end.

As a regular traveller through Manchester (without airbag), I can only imagine the fun you would have at security there Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep, that's what I thought, airport security will be the issue. As said, I have flown loads with canisters in ski bag and always tell them at check in, never had any problems so will continue with that.

@PowderAdict, am also considering the Jetforce Fan pack, do you not have any issues with the battery in cabin luggage, I thought there were restrictions after the Samsung phone fires?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok, having read this I am going to see if it's possible to take my carbon avi bag canister with me to GVA from LBA next month (note just the cannister, not the bag or trigger, they are in France already).

I'll write to LBA security first to line it up and avoid agro on the day.

Could anyone point me straight to the relevant current IATA regs so that I can quote them when I email in advance.

Cheers
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi, try here..as far as I know these are the current regs:

https://files.mycloud.com/home.php?brand=webfiles&seuuid=b9947e1767ebb9674c1cec87da426d34&name=airbag

Nick
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
interpaul wrote:

@PowderAdict, am also considering the Jetforce Fan pack, do you not have any issues with the battery in cabin luggage, I thought there were restrictions after the Samsung phone fires?

See my post above ^^
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
interpaul wrote:

See my post above ^^

Thanks for that, will look out for one in the end of season sales.
latest report
@interpaul, The Jetforce battery is 28.8 V DC, 1.5 Ah/43.2 Wh

The IATA 2.3A Lithium battery section comes into effect at 100 Wh, so the Jetforce Battery is over 50% less Very Happy

- Lithium ion battery powered equipment containing batteries over 100 Wh but not exceeding 160 Wh.

- Spare lithium ion batteries with a Watt-hour rating exceeding 100 Wh but not exceeding
160 Wh for consumer electronic devices. Maximum of two spare batteries may be carried in carry-on baggage only. These batteries must be individually protected to prevent short circuits.

I believe the Samsung battery issue was due to the fast charging technology, so specific to that phone, not Lithium batteries in general, a similar thing happened with some Laptops. In the case of the Samsung the charging process caused the internal structure of the battery to form a short circuit, and in a enclosed device there is nowhere for the heat/gas to escape, so they caught fire.
snow report
@interpaul, I have one and it is great. It is a bit heavier than other sacs but it is such a good fit that it doesn't feel "THAT" heavy. You can get a reasonable amount in the 28L.
snow report
PowderAdict wrote:
@interpaul, The Jetforce battery is 28.8 V DC, 1.5 Ah/43.2 Wh

The IATA 2.3A Lithium battery section comes into effect at 100 Wh, so the Jetforce Battery is over 50% less Very Happy

- Lithium ion battery powered equipment containing batteries over 100 Wh but not exceeding 160 Wh.

- Spare lithium ion batteries with a Watt-hour rating exceeding 100 Wh but not exceeding
160 Wh for consumer electronic devices. Maximum of two spare batteries may be carried in carry-on baggage only. These batteries must be individually protected to prevent short circuits.

I believe the Samsung battery issue was due to the fast charging technology, so specific to that phone, not Lithium batteries in general, a similar thing happened with some Laptops. In the case of the Samsung the charging process caused the internal structure of the battery to form a short circuit, and in a enclosed device there is nowhere for the heat/gas to escape, so they caught fire.

Thanks, this is going to get expensive...
snow report
@big_ben, Thanks for the regs, downloaded and ready to action.
ski holidays
This is source page for the IATA Regulations. The current version is the 58th edition, the 59th edition is effective from the 1st Jan 2018.

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Pages/dgr-guidance.aspx
latest report
Flew back from Basel to Edinburgh yesterday, the French baggage security would not let the canisters through as hold luggage. They looked at the IATA regs, Easyjet website which approves them for hold and cabin, but being French they had decided it as a 'non' so that was the end of the matter as far as they were concerned.

Canisters have been left in lost and found, will collect when I head out next month. Dicks.
snow conditions
I've flown with my ABS canister as hand luggage several times. I send an email to the airline in advance, and print their response. I also carry a copy of the IATA regs in English and French/Italian. I declare it to security before it goes through the x-ray machine. Sometimes it's gone through without question, but usually I have to unpack my bag with the security supervisor, who usually knows what's going on. I've travelled this way with BA and Swiss LHR to GVA; EasyJet LGW to GVA; BA LGW to TRN. I've never been asked to put them in the hold, nor had them confiscated.
ski holidays
My very current experience with Jet2/LBA:
Emailed LBA security who confirmed fine with them if ok with Jet2.
Phoned Jet2 who said fine to go in hold or as hand baggage, then noted on booking that I'm travelling with canister in hand baggage.
Emailed security again who have said now that it's confirmed ok with airline they will email their consent (to use on the day, in case of concerns, as they are the only ones who will see the canister).

Pretty easy (so long as the 'on the day' bit works).

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 14-01-18 18:37; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
midgetbiker wrote:
Phoned Jet2 who said fine to go in hold or as hand baggage, then noted on booking that I'm travelling with canister in hand baggage.
Emailed security again who have said now that it's confirmed ok with airline they will email their consent (to use on the day, in case of concerns, as they are the only ones who will see the canister).

Easyjet were informed in advance and approved via email in either Hold or cabin. Issue was local operators who did not understand, or show any interest. It was just a 'non'. They actually went out of their way to find further barriers even though they looked at IATA and Easyjet websites which approved their use.

I have flown at least 20 flights with the canister and never had any issues, I just got the wrong people yesterday.

Jetforce could be the answer...
snow report
We've flown 20+ x with ABS's and mostly Lufthansa but 2 or 3x with EasyJet, and on every occasion pre-book them in and carry in hold luggage. Last year we were really unlucky, all went well with check in at Lufthansa Munich but on bag collection at Leeds noticed the bags had been opened and carbon canisters confiscated despite all the IATA info being there and in original packaging etc.

We got them back eventually after about 2 months but if cost us about £150 for special UPS courier and a load of hassle and emails. Eventually got the money back because they reluctantly accepted it was their fault.

Pretty concerned about this seasons prospects, flying LH again 2x and thinking about leaving them in resort this season if I can find a safe place to store them both, and collect in summer. Confused
ski holidays
I will leave mine in resort now as I ski in the same place 90% of time, not worth the hassle as security staff are inconsistent - some know the rules, others don't give a monkeys and simply enforce what they see as right.

The French security guy I spoke to said it was his decision, not the Airlines and he wasn't allowing the canister onboard, and neither was his boss.
ski holidays
midgetbiker wrote:

FYI all - it all worked fine on the day.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy