Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chillfactore Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I'm a 58 year old, overweight (200lbs 5ft 5in) who used to be an okay skier several years ago (15 weeks). Been teaching one of my teenage daughters at the Chillfactore - an indoor ski slope in Manchester. For those that don't know it - about 600 feet long at -4C. Occasionally gets ice patches when really busy. No powder.

Red at top usually with moguls, blue from half way down and freestyle area fairly regularly (ramps, rails, small jumps).

Guess that I've gone there about 30 times now over last couple of years. Very lucky to have it 20 mins drive away.

Getting fed up with their rental skis (normally use 160s) which have no wax or edges and wanted to get my own skis just for there. Obviously have my own boots and when I do go skiing - hopefully once a year - I'll just rent to save the hassle of lugging skis and choosing right skis according to conditions eg. powder / gentle off piste.

Was hoping to get something cheap second hand (about £100) mark. But wasn't sure what to look for. Slaloms? But can't go fast as too many kids. Carvers? But there's usually moguls and I very occasionally make a fool of myself in the rails and practice going switch. So Freestyle? But arent these too wide for moguls? Guess that I want low radius as I want to make lot of turns each time I go down the slope.

Any recommendations about what and how to buy (eBay?). Also how often would they need to be waxed / edges sharpened given that there's no pebbles. Could I get away without hot waxing and just one of those wax rub on kits?

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All-Mountain skis from Ebay ?? :: A sharpen and wax for first use, occassional wax afterwards ..?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks very much.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy