Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying children boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
For the first time ever we will be skiing twice this season and I am trying to weigh up buying my kids possibly second hand boots vs renting twice.
Son is just 14, 5’7, 9 stone, good skier, went all thro ESF to competition class (which wasn’t for him). He’s a 27.5 fit which seems to be adult size but not sure if I should be buying him an adult boot that is more beginner as I’ve read stiffer flexing adult boots may be too much for young teens even if they aren’t small?
Daughter is 11 and a 1/2, 5 foot and only 5 stone but in a 25 boot. Also quite proficient but similar question, should she be in a softer flexing boot as she doesn’t have any weight to flex her boot.
Or just hire them?
Thank you.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@reh_stuff, I have had quite a bit of experience with fitting kids, but I would always defer to Colin at Solutions4Feet, who you can email for an opinion. Adult softer boot would be fine for your son. If he can flex the boot by applying forward pressure, standing without skis, then they are not too stiff.

Your daughter is different - a 70 flex e.g. Salomon X3 or Nordica Doberman youth boot would be fine for her. Again, you should check whether she can flex it when she is standing. 25 kids boots will most likely have adult DIN plates front and rear, so you should check compatibility with the bindings of the skis which you use.

But as I say, Jon Coster (spyderjon) or Colin have very thorough experience.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you valais2, that’s really helpful. I saw your selling post, shame you didn’t have any in 25! Thanks again.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@reh_stuff, no problem - yes mine have just moved up into the 24+ boots in the kit mountain....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a similar situation here. My son is 12 with a boot size 27.5 (his previous boot 26.5 just appeared too small) so I'm thinking going straight to 28.5 as he grows very quickly at this stage. He's 167cm, 55kg. So adult boots are the only option. But which flex? My local shop sells Nordica NXT NX flex 60 and Nordica Sportmachine flex 90. He can ski most runs and is in good shape as he plays football actively but has very limited (3 days) experience on big mountains (we ski mostly locally here in Finland). We are going again to Austria in 3 weeks for a short break.
I'm tempted to go with the stiffer boot for better future proof. But what does a 'too stiff' boot do for a developing skier? Backseat? Better confidence? Or is the general fit more important after all?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@lmu2002, ....too stiff a boot will impact adversely on young joints, and throw him around a lot. Too soft a boot will collapse, with the same outcome. So how do you get it right? You have enough time - 3 weeks. The answer is to get to a good boot fitter and try said boots, putting him in 'the skiing position' and see how easily he can flex the boot by forward pressure. Interestingly, too soft a boot tends to put people into the back seat since they can't dependably exert decent forward pressure, and get 'signals' from the lower limbs that the the boot is collapsing. I have given up future proofing with my two kids and just accept that I need to get 'just right' boots for every time on the hill, and sell them on later. That's why we have kit mountains in our house...

For reference, I am 5 foot seven, and 59 kg - I use a 110 boot - Lange (RX110) Atomic (Hawks). I can collapse anything less than that with ease.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been buying boots for my kids for a few years. They've now got big enough to use my wife's cast offs and my 15 year old boy is skied in a semi-retired pair of mine at Xmas (although I'm having some second thoughts about that).

First off I'd point out that they grow really fast. If a boot fits decently it can be a bit painful when they grow out of it before your next trip. Fortunately my kids have similar shaped feet (and to my wife) so we've been able to hand down.

I've never bought new boots for them. One pair were unused but VERY old stock and we got them very cheap. Ski Bartlett used to sell second hand kids equipment but stopped because ebay works so well.

The best approach I've found is to ask a rental shop in resort if you can rent a pair and buy them at the end of the week if the child gets on with them. On the two occasions I've asked they have happily said yes and have sold them to me for less than one weeks more rent! To be fair these have been older scuffed up boots but perfectly serviceable.

On flex, both my kids ski pretty well so have been able to ski comfortably in my wife's boots (despite the fact she is considerably heavier - don't tell her I said that!). My boy is 15, very lean but putting on a bit of muscle but still only 52kg or something. I was initially a bit nervous that my old 110 flex boots might have been too much for him but he actually skied fine. TBH they are probably a little wide/packed out which is why I'm having second thoughts - may just rent in Feb as he won't be with us at Easter and may well have grown again by Xmas!

@reh_stuff, I might just have a pair of outgrown 25 boots that would suit your daughter. Nothing glamorous but perfectly serviceable (4 clip etc). They don't owe me anything so if they are the right size you could have them for postage and a little donation to snowheads. I'll check size tonight
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jedster, that would be great, thank you. Sorry, I have no idea how to tag you! I’ll wait to hear from you on size.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry - got home really late last night - will get on with it tonight
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@reh_stuff, got two kids. Did buy one new pair because they were quite cheap and they could be handed down. Other than that we've used second hand. Not paid too much attention to the flex. I reckon kids aren't too fussy and if they are decent skiers/experienced just adjust to whatever they use.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@reh_stuff,
Ah, I’m afraid that the boots are 24.5 (24 Shell / 24.5 liner). Think you are after 25?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am Jedster, but thanks very much for looking.
Thanks for your comments too Layne.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jedster,
Terry certainly still sells second and skis, don't know about boots though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@reh_stuff, I've got a pair of 25 boots that my daughter hardly used. The shells were used for 3 weeks but the inners are brand new and never worn! An accident (non ski related) resulted in her using different inners due to her injury.

I've posted them on the Buy, Sell thread.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Muppet. I’ll have a look.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy