Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How outdated is my gear?

Poster: A snowHead
I’ve taken a long break from boarding due to having kids and then injuring my back. Back to full fitness now and kids are paying their way down the mine, so I’m heading to Grand Massif in January for a few days.

I’ve got a 2004 Palmer Honeycircle, which is still in pretty good condition, with decent Salomon boots and bindings from the same year. I was wondering if it was worth investing in a new board – How much better would a mid-price board be these days?

I would say I was a strong intermediate when I quit - I did a season in NZ and about ten weeks in the Alps in total. I am planning on easy myself back into it – mostly piste bashing and some easy off-piste if conditions are good. I don’t go near the park and only jump stuff if there is a nice soft landing!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Duvet, Welcome back to boarding. Our gear dates from 2008 and is still good to go. Start with what you know and then buy a board when you are back into it.
Wishing you many bottomless powder turns.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome back - no reason gear won't work. Couple of coats of wax and a bit of edge prep won't see the board back to operation. Chase the spiders out of the boots and make sure the laces are still good and no cracks anywhere and you should be ok.

Mate of mine still runs his original Gnu board from the late 90s.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In my book if you need to even think, however briefly, about updating equipment then you have total justification In doing just that. And enjoy every moment! 👺🤓
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok its skis but i've got a set of 24 year old Volkl Explosvi's that are still in regular use.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Can't see any reason why it wouldn't be fine. I'm still running a 2001 palmer carbon circle that's showing no signs of slowing down. Give it a decent wax and edge and you'll be fine.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yup Im still on my 2006 Burton Baron. Still rips. It's a big gun at 167, so it's fast, and I don't notice any problem/detirioration at speed

I honestly don't think there's been that much genuine innovation in boards in the last 10 years.
Yes there's different cambers now and wavy edges and what not, but I personally think it's mostly gimmick and marketing talk.

Some might aruge old boards might loose their pop/springyness as the wooden core has aged, but as you aren't oiking around in the park it probably won't bother you.

Having said that if you're flush with cash there's nothing like the excitement of new kit Toofy Grin

Boots have improved in my view. Worth trying your boots and seeing if they are still stiff and solid enough and haven't aged or softened. I replaced my 2004 boots last year and the difference is quite noticeable. Other than they had softended from being worn for a couple of weeks a year, the newer designs I found are just better - even just simple improvements like having velcro on the boot liner to hold the tongue solidly in place and keep the liner tight around your calf make a difference. Plus the lacing systems are better so I no longer find myself stopping to re-tighten them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the advice. Everything seems so much more expensive than the last time I was in the snow, so I'm going to fight the itchy eBay trigger finger! Very Happy

My boots are still good - I had a couple of pairs before that never quite fitted, so will hold off replacing as long as possible. When I first started with hire boots I remember being in agony at the end of day and being told by my mate that it was normal!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Duvet wrote:
Everything seems so much more expensive than the last time I was in the snow

Wait till you get to your first mountain hostelry and find it is 8 or 9 euros for "un serieux" !

15 years on and every year I still chuckle at the fact that they call the 1/2 litre size "a serious" beer !
snowHead

Enjoy !
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Duvet, Fit some cap straps on your bindings if you can. Much better than the original toe straps.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
^ do this. Cap Straps if they're not already on your bindings are a real boon, plus you can retrofit them to most bindings.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Duvet service it and ride it.

It's usually what's above the boots, not below them ........
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Richard_Sideways,

"Couple of coats of wax and a bit of edge prep won't see the board back to operation."

So, what will see the board back to operation? Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Duvet,
Welcome back to the snow! I hope your back is ok and you have a great trip.

Remember to let us know how you get on.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Its less about how old it is and more about how well its used, stored and looked after.

I have a 2004 163 Burton Custom that I keep for powder days or days when I want to ride a camber board. I've looked after it, waxed it, stored it well in the off seasons. It's almost in perfect nick yet I know someone else with the same board and its completely screwed and only fit for the bin!

I would guess the foam in the boots might be it bit saggy and degraded? Most manufactures only design snowboard gear to last a 100 days of riding. For most one week warriors that could be 15 seasons, but I think the plastics and foam in boots would degrade quicker than that.

There's something to be said about upgrading, especially if you're recovering from injury. Taking advantage in advances in technology such as the different rocker/camber profiles will make riding more fun and easier. I like to think of it like driving a classic car vs a new car. Something like a mk 1 Golf GTI is fun but will take work and concentration but then get in whatever is the latest version with power steering and sequential gear box and you can go really hard and fast with less effort but at the same time nip to the shops without really feeling like you're on the edge. Also the energy saved means less fatigue, longer days on the hill, less pain mid week etc... (Though this could be achieved through fitness and diet)

Good luck

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 10-01-18 14:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
......does anyone still use flow bindings?

Also looking at getting back on the tray this year after ~10 years off, but bringing some little sliders with me. My last Nitro board was sawn in half to make shelves for my eldest when he was younger Smile
snow report
Dan wrote:
......does anyone still use flow bindings?

Also looking at getting back on the tray this year after ~10 years off, but bringing some little sliders with me. My last Nitro board was sawn in half to make shelves for my eldest when he was younger Smile

I had some and got rid of them. I find they always get bunched up with ice so I can never get my boot in properly so end up sitting down and scraping out the ice. They are also a pig to readjust on the slope. I have some unions now and absolutely love them. Easy to get on and off and much better feel than my flows.
snow conditions
Got a pair of Flows I use in the Fridge. Find them heavy compared to a trad. binding and not much less faff either - to get them tight enough to feel like you're actually attached to the board it gets faffy to get your boot in and out of the binding - Catch 22.
ski holidays
I had a break from about 2006 to 2015, and I returned on my 2004 Palmer Carbon Circle!!

All of the lifties have a good look at my board, loads of boarders comment on it too, and I have decided that I will never be able to outperform my board - and it is rock solid at the 50MPH I max out at Very Happy

In fact my Mrs and one of our pals who comes away with us also have 2006 and 2004 Palmer boards too.

I bought new Burton Cartel bindings half price in an end of season sale a couple of years back and bought some Salomon Synapse boots that had 6 days use on them for £50!! Both of these items are much better that 2004 kit though
ski holidays
I realise, with some shock, that my 'new' board which has been used for the customary week trip and long weekend per year... Was purchased in 2003. (K2 Ambush) New boots and bindings the following year. (K2 Cinch and Salomon Synapse.)

All continues to function admirably, and even got a nod from a skinny trousered youth at Hemel about my 'cool' board (!) I could barely say that I'd had it since he was in nappies.

I thought it was done for last year when I rode over a fist size rock on the piste and took a chunk out of the base, but 20euro in the local ski shop fixed it up good as new...
snow conditions
My Palmer board replaced my Libtech Emmagator - which was wrecked on the very last run of a holiday in 2 feet of powder when I must have rode over a rock. The 1/2" gauge was about a foot long down to the base!

Claimed on insurance and its hanging up on my office wall these days - same as this one on a 165 http://forums.bomberonline.com/topic/40926-lib-tech-emmagator/
ski holidays
Very, as soon as you walk out of the Apple store....
snow conditions
ski holidays
ski holidays
I don't think gear can be outdated.

There's even a facebook group for vintage snowboard lovers https://www.facebook.com/groups/658413557528945/
ski holidays
What is Facebook ?
snow report
Yeah my main and fave boards are from 2001ish. It all depends how you ride and how often you ride.

I just renewed my boots today.. I got the last ones back in 2006ish and they've just started to perish and leak a little at the seams. They've been demoted to snow dome boots, while my new ones are for off piste endeavours.
Madeye-Smiley
Still running on my 2011 bindings, despite how shredded they look, they still function, for now....

You only need to replace gear if you aren't getting on with it, or if it doesn't stand much hope of repair.
Smile
snow conditions
Richie_S wrote:
I realise, with some shock, that my 'new' board which has been used for the customary week trip and long weekend per year... Was purchased in 2003. (K2 Ambush) New boots and bindings the following year. (K2 Cinch and Salomon Synapse.)

All continues to function admirably, and even got a nod from a skinny trousered youth at Hemel about my 'cool' board (!) I could barely say that I'd had it since he was in nappies.

I thought it was done for last year when I rode over a fist size rock on the piste and took a chunk out of the base, but 20euro in the local ski shop fixed it up good as new...

I had two K2 Ambushes, great boards, still got one I use as a rock hopper
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some riders are outdated before the gear is !
snow report
Well, I survived Very Happy More importantly my back held out and I had a blast, so back to regular trips Very Happy

The board was solid as I remember and great in powder, which there was a ton of. Boot laces and material had obviously perished a bit as they snapped in a couple of places and I had to do some running repairs, but that didn't cause too much of a problem.

Morillon and Les Carroz were brilliant. Fairly quiet, loads of easy off piste and tree runs, and no mandatory drag lifts! Didn't even make it to Flaine bowl in the end, but didn't get bored in four days.

It is good to be back!
ski holidays
Nice one. Glad you enjoyed it. Welcome back Toofy Grin

Get your next trip booked and treat yourself to some new boots snowHead
snow report
Welcome back!

My newest board is from 2004. wink

Only bowing to marketing/hype or having actual damage / deterioration dictates needing newer equipment.
ski holidays
I bowed.

New board and bindings with boots soon to follow.

All replacing 9 year old gear. Board knackered but I still love it. Boots too flexy and genuinely in need of upgrade. Bindings temperamental.

Got a stonking great deal on the board and bindings via amazon marketplace from a shop called fameboardshop. Couldn't believe the price of stuff this season but saved over 100 quid on bindings and 150 or so on the board.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy