Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hire ski advice for an early intermediate

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sorry another ‘what ski’ thread.... I’m heading to St Anton in March and will be hiring skis (own boots). I’m planning to book in advance on line with Hervis because they seem to be the cheapest and are also the closest to our hotel.

The shop will ask the normal questions of height (5’10’)’, weight (90kg) and what am I looking for - which is an easy to use ‘all-rounder’ tolerant of most conditions (e.g. slush) rather than full downhill performance and I’ll be staying on piste. I’ll then be presented with a ski that as far as I know may or may not be a help or hindrance.

I know answers can only be general but could I ask for some suggestions please of the type/make/model of ski I should be looking at in the mid/gold range ?

Many thanks !!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The only time I got a ski that I was really happy with was when I booked cheapest, then went in and just by chance chatted to an English lad. The shop was quiet so he had time, so I asked him for advice, and after a quick chat he recommended me a ski, I upgraded to that one (wasnt the top whack price) and spent the rest of my holiday very happy. Great skis!

I just bought my own in the end, just to be done with all that jazz!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 11-01-18 15:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I must add, the English lad worked there, I didn't just start chatting to anyone within ear shot! (he could also personally vouch for the ski as he had used it)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Rusco, I've skied for 35 years and still get the second cheapest. I own some for when skiing locally (just the cheapest pair which are pretty bashed now), and borrow ancient stuff off family when I'm back in Canada. I love the ignorant bliss of not experiencing 'premium' skis. Or maybe I'm scared of hitting a rock in expensive skiis and having to explain to the rentals!

Tell them what you'll be skiing, and if they're any good they'll make a recommendation. Unless you're doing something out of the ordinary, have money to burn, or are trying to buy, really mid-range should be fine? Don't be affraid to go back, and once you find a pair you like make a note of the length for next time.

My line is 'mens 158ish (I grew up before ladies skis) that still have edges please'. Have fun Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy