Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bus or Drive to Arabba?

Poster: A snowHead
We are heading to the Birthday Bash in Arabba but decided to do a week in St Anton first and I'm now looking at options to transfer resorts.

Thanks to @admin I've managed to find a cheap and cheeky route from St Anton to San Lorenzen by train and then a bus from there to Arabba. We are a bit worried about taking all our ski luggage on the buses and if there would be room. There's also a lot of changes, 4 trains and 3 buses and some tight connections.

An alternative is to get the train to, say, Bolzano and hire a car to drive to Arabba but I've never driven in the alps before in winter. The cars do come with snow chains, which I've never used but I am a teeny bit nervous especially given my recent experience of getting to and from Tignes in heavy snow. Shocked

Has anyone got experience of taking luggage on the buses? Do you know what would happen if a bus was delayed and would they wait for the connection? Or have you driven to Arabba and how difficult can it be in winter? Is it be easy to get the hang of snow chains etc?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dmitri wrote:
..I've never driven in the alps before in winter...

Do it.
Like sex, everybody has to start somewhere - anticipate, gentle on throttle/brakes. The roads should be fairly clear (unless it dumps).
Plus you can drive to other nearby resorts while you're in Arabba.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I caught a train and three busses on the way from Venice to Arabba. There was hardly anyone on them. The timetable suggested it was one bus, but the driver drops you by the side of the road and points to the next bus! It all seemed to work ok and i got there in the end.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dmitri, if you decide to rent a car I'd recommend one with winter tyres fitted. I researched this recently so have a bit of info about who reliably offers winter tyres at VMP airport.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That will put you in St Anton the same week we are there 26/1 - 2/2?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tangowaggon wrote:
That will put you in St Anton the same week we are there 26/1 - 2/2?

Yes that's right snowHead

Where are you staying? We are east end, Sankt Jakober Strasse.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dmitri, we’ve plenty of experience of taking luggage on buses and trains. Typically between us both we’d take one double padded wheeled ski bag or perhaps two separate unpadded ski bags, plus two 80-90L duffles and two 25-30L backpacks. Never had any issues travelling on any public transport in A, D, CH, northern Italy. Drivers/ conductors etc are well used to it!

While I do like having the car too, you can’t beat a good relaxing train trip through the alps and St Anton - Arraba will be fab fun. Get stocked up with wine, cheese, nibbles etc and enjoy a good picnic wink

If the OeBB app/ website proposes a connection then even if it’s tight my experience is that it will be fine.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We're at the otber end , on the main road out of the railway station & turn left, there's myself, matrski, northerngeezer and another.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ALQ wrote:
Like sex, everybody has to start somewhere - anticipate, gentle on throttle/brakes.

Yeah, I remember that Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tangowaggon wrote:
We're at the otber end , on the main road out of the railway station & turn left, there's myself, matrski, northerngeezer and another.

I know where you mean, stayed up there myself before. We'll have to get together for dinner sometime. Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tangowaggon wrote:

Tango be fair with them as they need to be pre warned! The legend that is Essex will also be in town Shocked Toofy Grin Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Like sex, everybody has to start somewhere - anticipate, gentle on throttle/brakes.

@ALQ, People have always told me that my point and squirt driving style never did me any favours, Now I might know what they meant Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Inboard wrote:
@Dmitri, we’ve plenty of experience of taking luggage on buses and trains. Typically between us both we’d take one double padded wheeled ski bag or perhaps two separate unpadded ski bags, plus two 80-90L duffles and two 25-30L backpacks. Never had any issues travelling on any public transport in A, D, CH, northern Italy. Drivers/ conductors etc are well used to it!

While I do like having the car too, you can’t beat a good relaxing train trip through the alps and St Anton - Arraba will be fab fun. Get stocked up with wine, cheese, nibbles etc and enjoy a good picnic wink

If the OeBB app/ website proposes a connection then even if it’s tight my experience is that it will be fine.

+1 for this. Just come back from Lech using public transport and have done the Arraba trip twice. Room for ski gear on buses has never been a problem (of course, there's always a 'first time'..)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Matrski wrote:
Quote:

@ALQ, People have always told me that my point and squirt driving style never did me any favours, Now I might know what they meant Shocked

I've been told that if you get the right kind of rubber in place, it's all a lot safer...ahem, driving, that is!! wink Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Matrski wrote:
Quote:

@ALQ, People have always told me that my point and squirt SEX style never did me any favours, Now I might know what they meant Shocked

FIFY

You're doing a lot of Skiing this year mate. Are we meeting up some time? Lost track of who is doing what and when.
snow report
If you drive, remember cost of parking.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
If you drive, remember cost of parking.

I’ve always parked for free behind portavescovo hotel, u just ask for barrier code at reception.
ski holidays
@GlasgowCyclops, Possibly EOSB but that eats into next years holidays so not sure. What dates are you in Arabba? Essex has told me but I’ve forgotten, isn’t it usually Paul that goes off track on threads! Very Happy
latest report
@Matrski, the year I drove everywhere was covered in snow and that wasn't an option. Plus I had a cracked windscreen which needed protection from temperature extremes. It only got fixed the final day!
ski holidays
Matrski wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, Possibly EOSB but that eats into next years holidays so not sure. What dates are you in Arabba? Essex has told me but I’ve forgotten, isn’t it usually Paul that goes off track on threads! Very Happy

I'm in Arabba from 24th Feb to 3rd march. I'll be on the EOSB though with Catwoman (AKA mrs Cyclops).
ski holidays
@Matrski, yep I usually is Paul but he has been a good boy recently. Me I'm just killing time on the internet here in Shanghai (again). Thankfully day 3 so jet lagged has disappeared.
snow conditions
Back on topic

I would drive. Make sure you have snow tyres and snow chains. Snow tyres will suffice for most but if not put on chains and factor inn20mph driving for a while.

Plus, if you like driving then this is beautiful. What is not so nice is no winter tyres and the drive from Cortina to Arabba. Happy

Also note M+S tyres are crap. They are not real winter tyres. They are chunky but no use. Insist on booking on full winters and look elsewhere if not.
snow conditions
Biggest problem I can see by doing the train/bus all the way is the infrequent bus service from Corvara to Arabba. From Corvara village I'm sure you need to get one bus to Hotel Planac at Passo Campolongo and then another bus to Arabba. The service from Planac to Arabba only goes twice a day as I remember.

Secondly, the train/bus connections are very dependant on which train you catch from Innsbruck. If catching the Euro city from Innsbruck then you will have a longer wait at St Lorenzo for the bus to Corvara etc. If catching the regional trains then the connection times are much better.

If driving from Bolzano, shortest route involves two passes (passo Gardena between Selva and Corvara and Passo Campolongo between Corvara and Arabba)

If you could hire a car from Bressanone, then you would have a shorter journey via Pusteria valley and only one pass (Passo Campolongo). I've driven this route to Corvara and it was straight forward apart from the traffic on the return leg heading from Pusteria valley to the A22 motorway!!

If I was doing this route I would train/bus to Corvara and then get a taxi for the last leg to Arabba.
ski holidays
@jimmybog,
Quote:

the infrequent bus service from Corvara to Arabba. From Corvara village I'm sure you need to get one bus to Hotel Planac at Passo Campolongo and then another bus to Arabba. The service from Planac to Arabba only goes twice a day as I remember.
I'm sure the Portavescovo would send one of their mini-buses to collect Dmitri and Aewynia from Campobongo.

There again, a taxi all the way from Corvara shouldn't be too expensive.
ski holidays
I'm fairly sure that there was space under the bus being used for luggage in the summer when I did Corvara-Brunico via San Lorenzen. Assuming I'm remembering rightly and it's the same buses being used, you should be fine.
snow conditions
How many need to get from St.Anton to the BB? and do they have skis, boards, or coffin bags?

I'll be driving from Innsbruck to Arabba on the Saturday morning.
It's a small car, but there is some space.

Train to Innsbruck I think is easy from St.Anton. Conveniently, I'll be staying in the hotel attached to the Innsbruck main station.
snow report
@Dmitri, Are you flying home from Venice or Innsbruck? Just wondering if this influences the hire car situation.
snow conditions
@luigi, Laughing

@Matrski, Sounds like you’re driving a manual Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy wrote:
How many need to get from St.Anton to the BB? and do they have skis, boards, or coffin bags?

I'll be driving from Innsbruck to Arabba on the Saturday morning.
It's a small car, but there is some space.

Train to Innsbruck I think is easy from St.Anton. Conveniently, I'll be staying in the hotel attached to the Innsbruck main station.

Maybe that will work out. I'll PM you Cool
snow report
Matrski wrote:
@Dmitri, Are you flying home from Venice or Innsbruck? Just wondering if this influences the hire car situation.

We're flying back from Venice. I've been searching hire to drop off at Marco Polo.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy