Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wanted..Powder Ski

Poster: A snowHead
I will double post what follows here for advice and in Buy/Sell etc in the hope that somebody has something to offer for sale.

Perhaps I am after something that does not really exist...but here goes:

Male
85kg
5ft10in
Good skier, but not yet expert. I can ski pretty much anything (except proper narrow and steep couloirs).

I want an off piste ski that is still competent on piste, it doesn't have to be great...but competent at least.
Turn radius of no more than 20m...that really is the max.

Underfoot? "Enough" but no absolute upper or lower limit.

They key, key criteria is turnability. I want an easy to turn ski, that is MUCH more important to me than a big arching turn charging ski.

To be used in Verbier whenever there is enough snow and for bi-annual Japan trip.

Feel free to suggest something that is not necessarily a 2017 ski because that might be find-able too, and cheaper.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 9-01-18 19:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rungsp, you’re welcome to try my DPS Wailer 112’s. 184 but easy to ski. They just became redundant 😉. They’re in the locker at the apartment if you want to have a try.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There’s also Millsy’s ex-rental 178´s in there that you can compare with. They are a bit long for her so available for cheap. Same construction as mine but blue colour
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Icelantic Nomad 168, vgc very easy to ski on or off piste. Almost new Salomon STH 13 for 327 boot. Looking for £100
https://www.flickr.com/gp/88030005@N02/5Kp954
Don’t worry about the short length as they are fully cambered and short radius so easy to turn and plenty of float in the deep stuff.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I appreciate the offer @BertieG, but I am quite sure they are too short for what I want.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rossi Super 7 sounds like it was made for you. Sallie QST 118 too.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
agree about the super 7 but perhaps worth saying that radius is not a good predictor of "turnability" in this kind of ski simply because it is rare that you carve them, mainly about pivot and drift. For example my redeemers are extremely nimble in the trees.

That said, I think radius does matter for piste performance which @rungsp's does care about.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nordica Enforcer 185/100. Very turnable, very powerful on piste, plenty of float, Radius 18.5. Demo'd a few days ago, thought they were epic and will be upgrading my HnB's this year to them I think. My skier profile and yours are somewhat similar....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
coddlesangers wrote:
Nordica Enforcer 185/100. Very turnable, very powerful on piste, plenty of float, Radius 18.5. Demo'd a few days ago, thought they were epic and will be upgrading my HnB's this year to them I think. My skier profile and yours are somewhat similar....

The Enforcers are unquestionably brilliant and some of my favourite skis... but they're not powder skis and really don't match what the OP's asking for (IMHO)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Got a brand new pair of Rossi 7s (I think the 180cm model need to check) that you can make me an offer for. Never been skied - bought them but got injured so couldn't go now lying around. Give me a shout if you're interested
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have some Wailer 112s in 190cm which I’d let go to a good home. They are quiverkillered for Marker frame bindings and Dynafit TLTs so drilling new holes might be a challenge
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Salomon QST 106 sounds like a good match for you. One of those surfy style powder skis that can actually hold a good edge on groomers too.
Nordica Enforcer 110 would be a great choice too for similar reasons.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Surprised no one even mentioned a Cham 97 or Mantra

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/snow-sports/all-mountain-skis/dynastar-cham-2-0-97

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/snow-sports/all-mountain-skis/volkl-mantra

This is far from a unique review - you find this stuff being said about them in many places
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dsoutar wrote:

He said he wanted a ski that was easy to turn rather than a charger. I suppose the rockered Mantra might fit that bill, but it wouldn't be my first choice for such a ski. For example I'd take the 90Eight over the Mantra for an easier ride - which is what I actually did for a daily AM ski.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Atomic Automatics or Backland 117 great ski very versatile I have not skied the others in the range.
latest report
I guess im looking for the same thing! im just a tad taller and a tad or two heavier Very Happy
ski holidays
uktrailmonster wrote:
dsoutar wrote:

He said he wanted a ski that was easy to turn rather than a charger. I suppose the rockered Mantra might fit that bill, but it wouldn't be my first choice for such a ski. For example I'd take the 90Eight over the Mantra for an easier ride - which is what I actually did for a daily AM ski.

Cham 97 is hardly a charger - it's pretty light, and very turny - I think even in the longest length the turn radius is only 16m.
ski holidays
Gämsbock wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:
dsoutar wrote:

Cham 97 is hardly a charger - it's pretty light, and very turny - I think even in the longest length the turn radius is only 16m.

Sorry, I was referring to the Mantra with my comments. I'm not that familiar with Dynastar and they appear to have changed course in recent years from stiff chargers to more user-friendly AM skis.
snow report
High Society Freeride Wide (124mm x 187cm) or PM Gear Lhasa Pow (112mm x 191cm) of interest?
snow conditions
Mission accomplished.

I borrowed Bobinch's DPS Wailer 112's and they are exactly what I was looking for....and he succumbed to my pleading and sold them to me.

Competant on piste, and superb off piste...easy to turn, really building confidence.

JJs would have been the other choice...anybody with my type of criteria should contact gorilla who has a pair advertised in buy/sell
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy