Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help washing ski jacket

Poster: A snowHead
I tried to wash an extremely grubby ski jacket in the machine (pink Poly inside and out, instructions say machine wash inside out and without fabric softener at 30°) but it isn't much cleaner. I used a very small amount of detergent because the instructions said no fabric softener and also I wasn't sure if it would do more damage to the waterproofing. Should I try with more detergent/not inside out/warmer water or could any of those things do damage? Or is there any sort of severe spray wash I could safely use?

Surprisingly it's still pretty fluffy, I had expected to lose that in the machine.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
there's many products available for washing outdoor gear, eg Nikwax, Grangers etc. Pick one for your material and away you go. They are usually a detergent and something to revive the technical properties of the garment.

I wash the right way round, but dry inside out when I've applied some DWR spray.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@endoman, thanks, I've heard a lot about Nikwax for waterproofing but didn't realise it was a cleaning product too. I'll try it
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No detergent. I use Nikwax Tech Wash (make sure you clean out the detergent tray first), then once clean wash again with Nikwax Tx.direct reproofer.

If the dirt is oil based, it might be difficult to shift.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

No detergent.

oops!

How do you clean out the detergent tray first? By doing a wash without detergent or by literally wiping down the tray?

Quote:

If the dirt is oil based, it might be difficult to shift.

I suspect it might be, most of the jacket has a sort of navy tinged rubbed sheen to it. It looks terrible!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Or just send it to this lot:

http://lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@moseyp, Most trays have a simple clip which if you press allows the tray to slide out completely, just give it a wash/scrub to remove any build up.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@altis, it's a wee Rossignol child's jacket that cost €70 so I don't want to spend too much on it, thanks anyway!

@PowderAdict, great thanks I'll try that for sure
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

navy tinged rubbed sheen

Probs oil based. Happens. Doesn't generally come out completely.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
moseyp wrote:

How do you clean out the detergent tray first? By doing a wash without detergent or by literally wiping down the tray?

Personally I just fill the detergent tray with as much water as you'd normally use detergent and then run it. That should clean any from inside the tray and inside the machine.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@dp, I find that the tray usually has residue/remnants so I remove it and clean it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PowderAdict wrote:
No detergent. I use Nikwax Tech Wash (make sure you clean out the detergent tray first), then once clean wash again with Nikwax Tx.direct reproofer.

+1, probably. Caveat: doesn't suit every type of outer material.
Give it a couple of clean rinses in the machine first (or just under the domestic shower) to get rid of normal detergent.
Then again, if it's a cheapy kid's jacket, do you care greatly? You know it's clean enough, kid will outgrow but have fun and probably get it grubby again in meantime (?). Dirt and grease can be a great waterproofer... Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

+1, probably. Caveat: doesn't suit every type of outer material.
Give it a couple of clean rinses in the machine first (or just under the domestic shower) to get rid of normal detergent.
Then again, if it's a cheapy kid's jacket, do you care greatly? You know it's clean enough, kid will outgrow but have fun and probably get it grubby again in meantime (?). Dirt and grease can be a great waterproofer...

It's 100% polyester outer (and inner actually)

I'm the kid, and I don't like replacing anything that doesn't need to be. It's utterly filthy, and covered in duct tape patches, and not fully waterproof anymore but still works - to be honest the look of it doesn't bother me but I've been getting a lot of stick about it and I do resemble a tramp so I need to just get rid of the worst of the dirt
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arcteryx has a great source of care instructions and videos available here: https://arcteryx.com/Product-Care.aspx?country=us&language=en

Personally i use grangers tech wash and then a spray on reproofer. With the wash in reproofer how does it know how to reproof only the outside ? Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@moseyp, the Nikwax (or Graingers) products will get some of it out. But isn’t the duct tape coming off?
snow conditions
If it was a cheap jacket and the staining wasnt horrendous I wouldnt have washed it in the first place as even if you use the re-proofing adn tech washes it never seems to be as good. And they will just get it dirty again/outgrow it soon anyway.

But now that you have washed it in detergent you may need to rewash and reproof to get its water repellent properties back. Put a few hot water washes (with no load) through the machine, and clean the detergent drawer. Then wash per instructions using tech wash and you can get a spray on water proofing as well which then gets only applied to the outside not the whole garment. Some say tumble dry on low to also get back the repellency (check garment if it can be)
ski holidays
@hankthepenguin, never had a problem with Goretex, etc. shells and wash thru...

Spray on might be more effective but harder work. You are only replacing the DWR with a membrane fabric, so not super critical.
snow report
moseyp wrote:
I'm the kid, and I don't like replacing anything that doesn't need to be. It's utterly filthy, and covered in duct tape patches, and not fully waterproof anymore but still works - to be honest the look of it doesn't bother me but I've been getting a lot of stick about it and I do resemble a tramp so I need to just get rid of the worst of the dirt

1: oops, sorry.
2: admire the attitude.
3: if it's your beloved jacket then love it, be proud if it and just create your own style and be proud of that too Very Happy ( Anyone tell Woodsy his hair's too long and cut silly? Well, probably yes, but don't think he cared - good for him).
Maybe get a thin waterproof under shell and keep this one as an outer? Or buy some material of whatever type and colour and sew it on in place of the duct tape? (Try Pennine Outdoor if still going.) Old jeans and jackets never die: they just get mended and acquire character Very Happy Very Happy It'll be in fashion in no time.
snow report
@under a new name, mine doesn't seem to come out Mad
ski holidays
thanks @hankthepenguin

Quote:

But isn’t the duct tape coming off?
No, not even at the edges (anymore than usual). I turned the jacket inside out so that might be why

@ster, it was really horrendous.... Thanks for the tips!

Quote:

2: admire the attitude.
3: if it's your beloved jacket then love it, be proud if it and just create your own style and be proud of that too ( Anyone tell Woodsy his hair's too long and cut silly? Well, probably yes, but don't think he cared - good for him).

I don't even like the jacket that much - I'm just terribly cheap! I use spinnaker tape too (for sails) which matches that jacket and is quite hardwearing

I will never be in fashion, safe to say!
latest report
@dp, there’s *usually* some sort of clip to release it.
ski holidays
@moseyp, ...in my experience there is a certain type of skiing grubbiness which just doesn't come out. It seems to get onto clothing from chairs, lift-gates, the salty brown sh+++te that clings to the outside of the car and you get on your jacket when you reach up to put the skis on the rack, from the seats in the gondola, and the skis which mrs careless and mr thoughtless in the lift Q crash against your legs. You can get it off with (i) stupid amounts of aggressive washing powder, which wrecks the DWR; (ii) citrus cleaner, which wrecks the DWR; and (iii) an angle grinder. But mostly it's hopeless. I have some gorgeous lime green Patagonia trousers which look completely cr++ because they have dark grime on all the seams. But I don't bother to do anything other than rub them with a bit of snow, since I want the DWR to remain intact. Washing which is aggressive enough to remove the grime and needs re-proofing simply leaves one with very sub-performing gear. One remedy is camouflage clothing. I have some really high end Peak P camo trousers. They look great. Get close, and they are DISGUSTING....which is exactly what my partner said when I gave her to them as a replacement for her old ones. They are genuinely nasty. But very waterproof. One look at the pisteurs' gear and you know that being PigPen is a normal state of affairs when trying to keep gear clean. So...you will spend more time and effort than the gear is worth, and wind up with something which won't perform. Just buy something nice on on Ebay and put it in the bin at the end of the season.
snow conditions
thanks @valais2, but tbh I fundamentally disagree with the idea of disposable clothing from an ecological point of view. I don't mind if it's not that waterproof - it's only a few days a year that I'd need it to be anyway. I'll try the Nikwax, I've only heard good things about it
ski holidays
moseyp wrote:
thanks @valais2, but tbh I fundamentally disagree with the idea of disposable clothing from an ecological point of view. I don't mind if it's not that waterproof - it's only a few days a year that I'd need it to be anyway. I'll try the Nikwax, I've only heard good things about it

I use the Teck Wash, followed by their TX Direct Spray-On, if necessary (I'm never quite sure when to use/not use the TX Direct Wash-In).
snow report
There is a dry cleaning product readily available in French supermarkets called K2r that comes in aerosol cans. Don't buy the pink one, (which is a carpet cleaner), buy the pale blue one. Give it a shake and spray onto oil stains and let it dry to a white powder, then brush off. If a white residue remains, then there is more oil remaining, so repeat the process until it all oil is removed. A halo tide mark sometimes remains, so rinse with plenty of water and a sponge.

This is truly an awesome product for removing oil stains and I always buy some and bring it home. It's a shame I can't find anything similar in the UK.

It shouldn't damage the waterproofing but be careful not to breathe it in, as it probably would damage your lungs! Best to use it outside
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy