Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada/Banff advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am planning a trip in February and have come stuck with some of the plans.
We have 7 days starting in Banff followed by a week in Fernie.I was thinking it would be good to stay 4 days in Banff and ski the Big3 then go to Panorama on the way to Fernie.
Is there a way of doing this without hiring a car? Or would it be better just base ourselves in Banff for 7 days then go to Fernie(have booked non stop ski course in Fernie).
Thanks Snowheads.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've done this using buses, but I have to say that this was using some time ago, and I used a TO to arrange the trip. You might try seeing if Ski Independence could organise something for you: they're pretty good at putting together custom packages.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Acacia, thanks will contact them to see what they can do!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The greyhound schedule is online - I've done that trip that way. Cars are however relatively cheap in Canada (especially if you don't pay for any extras, hire the smallest etc) and none of the resorts are as well connected as they are in Banff. Plus it's hard to switch things around on public transport, in my experience. On the plus side you can save hotel fees by sleeping on the bus...

I've never used tour operators - it's easy to book stuff direct in my experience.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I did Revelstoke and Banff on a combination of Airport shuttles and Greyhound. Was by far the cheapest way and not too inconvenient. You get to meet some 'interesting' people on a Greyhound too. Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Skip panorama. Sunshine and lake Louise are far more interesting, will easily keep you busy for a week, and are easy to get to from Banff using the shuttle. Then greyhound to fernie. From fernie there is a shuttle up to the hill. So no need for a car - but it does obviously offer some extra flexibility and convenience.

If you do go down the car route some lift passes offer free or discounted days at Kimberley (also on the way between Banff and fernie).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I disagree with @boarder2020, I really like Pano
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Panorama is by no means bad. I just don't think it compares to lake Louise or sunshine.

Also, I think there's a good argument for spending more time in single resorts. A lot of people fly into Calgary and seem to try and fit in as many resorts as possible into how ever long they have. OK if you want to "tick off" lots of resorts but I think you lose quality. First day at any resort is kind of wasted working out the lay of the land. Spending three or four days at a place you can start to find the better areas and snow. Particularly true for north america as the in bounds set up means there is lots to explore - some of which is often not on the piste map. I certainly can't see anyone getting bored with only 7 days at LL and sunshine, so it just seems unnecessary for me to add in panorama.

If you did want to do panorama it would probably be best to do it as a day trip. The shuttle goes from Banff on Tuesdays - $99 return but includes lift pass so actually quite good value. As far as I know the only bus to invermere from Banff is daytime so you would lose a days skiing to travel.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Got to disagree with boarder in general philosophy - for me more is more. For sure if you only spend a couple of days in these resorts you won't see it all but thats why you need to go back Wink

I'd hire a car Banff, drive to Kicking horse, do day there, then radium in the evening for hot spring, drive to Panorama in the morning, spend the day. then drive to Kimberly, do a day there, then Fernie. My 2p. I live in Nelson near Whitewater 100km further west.

Also you'll likely love the driving.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
boarder2020 wrote:
Also, I think there's a good argument for spending more time in single resorts. A lot of people fly into Calgary and seem to try and fit in as many resorts as possible into how ever long they have. OK if you want to "tick off" lots of resorts but I think you lose quality. First day at any resort is kind of wasted working out the lay of the land.

This would be my thought too - up to the OP which logic to choose.

As for Banff and the Big3 - Do bear in mind it's more like the Big2 and a quarter Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A couple of days at Panorama is certainly worthwhile, especially in the context of a 14-day trip. I've done this a couple of times, and like @gryphea, I rather like it. It has a lot of vertical, and some good inbounds off-piste in Taynton Bowl.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hmmm thanks for the replies.I do enjoy driving and sounds like it will be an experience in itself, but also 7 days in Banff makes sense to ski the Big 2 and a quarter Laughing
lots of helpful advice, thanks guys.Now I need to go away and decide!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy