Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lake District Skiing this W/E ?

Poster: A snowHead
The Lakes and North Pennines had a covering of wet snow this morning. Not enough yet but there is a 50/50 chance that we may get skiing this weekend at Raise.

The wind direction is good but the freezing levels are presently just too high for any drifting or meaningful accumulation.

The Mountain weather Information Service is indicating that freezing levels would be within range but the METO models appear to indicate a slightly higher freezing level.

We'll probably have a better idea by tomorrow afternoon.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter S, do you ski on Helvellyn regularly (or, if not regularly, when conditions permit)? I'm just wondering whether anyone ever skis some of the steep slopes above Red Tarn. I know there are some snow climbing routes up there which look like they might be OK to ski if they ever come into condition.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.lake-district.gov.uk/weatherline/home/index.php

May have been a tad pessimistic. Looks like there is more snow than I thought. Could be a better than 50/50 chance of some sport on Saturday Little Angel

Will update if i get more news.

Quote:

Peter S, do you ski on Helvellyn regularly

There are some extreme routes straight down the east face of Helvellyn beggining with your back against the trig point and ending up as close to Red Tarn as possible, but I doubt if it they have been skied many times in the last 10 years.

Its probably 12 years or more since I've done it. The first time I did it we 'qualified' for a 'Helvellyn Direct' sweatshirt from the Lake District Ski Club Shocked

At 55 degrees the top is very steep indeed so you don't want to ski it in the same conditions that you would climb it in.

Another good decent nearby is Brown Cove but in good conditions there are probably plenty of others, and almost certainly some that have never been skied. However we are a long long way of that this year. Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And the (lovely) Helen Willets has just hinted at an interesting change in the weather next week.

Almost exactly a year on from last years big easterly blizzard, is our luck about to change ?

Could we get some easterly snow over higher ground next week or will we be cruelly dissapointed again ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter S, thanks for the info. i looked at that wall above red tarn on a winter walk a few years ago and it looked quite inviting. I'll have to keep half an eye out in case it comes into condition in the next few years
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good news, the ski tow on Raise was operational today with the main runs complete and reports of a heavy cover of snow .

Hopefully not too much will melt today and then it should freeze later this afternoon. There will be an update on on the snowline tonight and a briefing about the weekend potential.

I hope to be there tomorrow and will try to upload some pics on Saturday.

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any news on Yad Moss Peter?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Or anything at Allenheads ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good day at Raise.
Click on the picture at the right side of this link for photos and a report.

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/

The snow level is just too high for yad Moss and is well above Allenheads.

Keep watching the forecasts though. There may be a possibility later next week.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter S, Looks very nice!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Charlotte- It was! Had a brilliant day with excellent sport and good company. Met Peter S, and a few others and had some choice Adventure Skiing! Decent Apres in the Traveller's Rest in Glenridding to boot. And the best thing is : its only two and a half hours from my house!!! Sensational!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulmck, that's 2 choices you've got now Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Sounds like my sort of thing too.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh yeah no question - right up your street.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulmck wrote:
Oh yeah no question - right up your street.
paulmck - are you going up this weekend snow situation looks pretty good, but the wind may be an issue snowline says they will be updating message after 6pm tonight. (we're looking forward to another drink in the travellers after skiing!)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skir67,

Was up there today. The amount of snow is about the same as last week, perhaps a little less but still not too many rocks to hit. However it has fozen quite hard with some pockets of fresh, particularly in Savages Gulley.

It was X&**??!!!! freezing today, minus 2.5 and a biting easterly wind. We did ski but in the afternoon the wind picked up and led to several trip outs and eventually a derailment. The system is vulnerable to very strong easterlies.

It looks windy again tomorrow - don't know about Sunday, so check the snowline first if you can.

Came back via Yad Moss. Everything frozen solid but just not enough snow. It really needs a couple of inches to fall before we can realistically operate. Sad

Good to meet up with you Paul. Wish we had a few more enthusiasts like you within range of the Club Little Angel

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 24-02-06 19:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
peter s - was there less snow owing to it being scoured off by wind or has there just not been any more?
snow conditions
There has been very little loss since last weekend. A base is now building which should be resistent to any minor thaw. The tow ran again yesterday but the strong easterly wind caused two derailments and reluctant the tow was closed about 3pm.

Depending on the wind it may run again today.

The prospects for next week are very good. With a base established and the possibility from mid week of heavy north westerly showers. Raise should really start to deliver the goods as the season gets properly under way.

Things are a bit sadder over at Yad Moss. Its been about 400 feet too low (or 1C too warm there). The webcam shows a thin frozen snow cover but it is not quite enough yet. However it is going to be a cold week and we only need several good heavy showers and some wind distribution to get things going there as well.

Naturally I'm going to the Alps next week, so like last year I will probably miss the best week of English skiing again rolling eyes
snow report
Quote:

was there less snow owing to it being scoured off by wind or has there just not been any more?

Sorry, didn't answer your question !

There is slightly less snow because thaw and compaction has outweighed accumulation. Easterly showers do not hold snow well at Raise. The snow that fell last week was wet and stuck to everything before freezing. There has therefore been no scourering.

In fact the cover is rather good despite only a modest amount of snow and though thin all the main runs are complete with only a few rocks. Little Angel
ski holidays
Peter S,

Thanks for the update. I really find this fascinating and only wish I lived close the the action. Hopefully N.I. will get some of this snow and I get a chance on the fields at home. Using the tractor as a tow
ski holidays
skir67, Not up again for next 2 weeks unfortunately, but will keep an eye on getting up again after that, fingers crossed for the snow!
latest report
Went up this weekend on Saturday and Sunday. Conditions were 'firm'.The great thing is even with plenty of grassy tussocks showing through there are no rocks so as long as you are happy skiing over the frozen grassy bits it was great. Owing to the forecasted low temperatures even if we don't get any more snow I may well go up next weekend as well. Hoping that Yad Moss gets some too as I could do with a break from the walk up Raise!
snow conditions
Peter S,high good photos great weekend on raise
snow conditions
Both Yad Moss and Raise picked up snow yesterday. The cover remains thin at Yad Moss but should be skiable and both centres plan to open today.

The outlook is for generally dry, cold weather giving excellent visibility.

Check the snowlines for the latest reports before going. snowHead
snow report
The reports from both Raise and Yad Moss tonight are good.

Though Raise has the better cover with fresh powder on a hard base, Yad Moss is also reporting all runs complete with a thin cover of fresh new snow on a hard base. Drifts at the top of Yad Moss have been pisted out nicely.

Both tows will operate tommorrow and the forecast is very good with clear sunny weather and a low freezing level.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Peter S, I'm hoping to drive up this weekend from Manchester and was wondering what the access road is like?
I have a RWD car with big fat tyres on the back. Wouldn't like to attempt it if there's a huge gradient and five inches of snow on it!
snow report
Peter S, I've been sat working from home today, looking out towards the hills, Raise to the right and Hartside to the left, it get's a bit depressing looking at the snow, knowing its just 30 mins away, and I have to stay here.

Hopefully, with the drop in temp, things should stay good for the weekend
latest report
Its looking good over at Yad Moss for the weekend ! Might dig the skis out.
ski holidays
Paul Mason, how's the bunions? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
markP, you going to Raise or Yad Moss? You'll be fine getting to the car park at Raise, but brace yourself for the walk up!! Can't speak for Yad Moss, never been. Peter will tell you in a bit I'd guess.
ski holidays
Mark

Check the snowlines before you commit on Friday night. YadMoss is thin but the walk in is only 10 mins.

Raise should have a decent cover but its an hours walk. yad Moss offers easier skiing and fast tow with runs up to about a half mile. Raise is adventure skiing !

Access to both are currently fine, however snow is forecast on Friday which will may or may not reach Yad Moss.

Check out the websites for details. www.thepriceofcheese.com and www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/
ski holidays
Thanks Paul and Peter. I had realised Raise was the better bet for snow. However the route in from the west sounds a bit torturous, with the danger of me getting seriously lost! I don't mind the walk though.
Sounds like it's fingers crossed for Yad Moss picking up a wee bit more snow then!
ski holidays
Raise will be closed tomorow, basically because of operator exhaustion. After continous skiing for over a week the guy who operates the tow needs a rest Shocked

However conditions will be reassesed on Thursday night with a view to running again on Friday and at the Weekend.

Conditions today were described as 'powder' Laughing
snow report
Went up this weekend 4th and 5th. Yad Moss had thin but full cover on the saturday, weather was fantastic. I believe they are now waiting for more snow as temperatures have warmed up at lower altitudes. Skied Raise on Sunday and although there had not been a lot of new snow the winds had been blowing in the right direction and presidents run had filled up with a load of firm wind blown snow which was a pleasure to ski on. Everything else was still mainly 'firm' but virtually all the grassy bits were covered (at least at the beginning of the day). Hopefully Raise is high enough to get some snow rather than rain out of the current weather front.
ski holidays
skir67, Yes it was a good day on Saturday, I was there for a few hours in the morning. Should really have posted on the Friday, may have been abe to meet up. Or we may have spoken anyway !
latest report
srobbo, yes we might well have done, I was the guy wearing the orange jacket and black trousers skiing on a pair of salomon xscream hots. Raise was fantastic on the Sunday. I'm just worried now that the rain may have washed it all off!!
latest report
skir67, Looking at the amount of rain lashing down as a drove back from Liverpool today, there won't be much left Sad

I was skiing in a grey Spyder jkt, grey hat. Will keep an eye out for you next time
snow conditions
srobbo, I'll look out for you too, I'm hoping to go up this weekend. Don't know whether it will be yad moss, raise or both! The weather appears to be a bit difficult to fathom at the moment, either all the snow will be rained off or we will get a large dump, winds look like they may be an issue too as regards running lifts. I just hope the snowlines keep well up to date and give us all enough notice if they do decide to run so we can get up there. I have to travel from the Wirral so its a fair journey.
latest report
skir67, Currently raining in Penrith, not looking too good at the moment.
ski holidays
Oh well not going to happen today , Raise won't open because the lift operators can't get up the hill and Yad Moss hasn't got enough snow! (yet), Swinhope say they are going to try to open, but haven't been there before so don't know what the access road is look in poor conditions without chains or a 4wd (I have neither). Lets hope weather does not warm up too much or too quickly to wipe off the snow that does come.
snow report
Yad Moss WILL have enough snow now !. Been bucketing down this morning, but access and visibilty would be a big problem
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy