Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One ski quiver

Poster: A snowHead
@tangowaggon, I ski often on piste, except when I can ski off piste, am not easily satisfied, in fact extremely sensitive to differences in skis and don’t currently feel the need for lessons...

Ergo?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tangowaggon wrote:
Having skied for 32 years on whatever planks I ended up buying, the past year or so, I have looked more closely at what each design of ski does and I'm coming to the conclusion that anyone that believes in a one ski quiver;
Never goes on piste or,
Never goes off piste or,
Is easily satisfied or,
Is a fantastic skier or,
Needs to get some lessons.

IME. A do it all ski, is a compromise ski...for someone who only wants (or is prepared to spend on), one ski for a bit of everything.

I'm not sure anyone thinks it performs like a ski specifically designed for a particular condition.

So, IMO, it's not a matter of belief, but one of practicality.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tangowaggon wrote:
Having skied for 32 years on whatever planks I ended up buying, the past year or so, I have looked more closely at what each design of ski does and I'm coming to the conclusion that anyone that believes in a one ski quiver;
Never goes on piste or,
Never goes off piste or,
Is easily satisfied or,
Is a fantastic skier or,

Or is short & light Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@spyderjon, you rang
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:
Never goes on piste or,
Never goes off piste or,
Is easily satisfied or,
Is a fantastic skier or,

That'll be me then Happy Happy

No shame in saying I'm more than fine on piste, more than not off, but my lack of bodily mass allows me to ski a more piste orientated (and girly length) ski off piste and get away with it Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@PaulC1984, there is no way you could manage with a one ski quiver – your wallet would be burning until you'd purchased a pair to match every jacket!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Off piste ish (well of piste technically, but in reality just crud) with 163 titans today.

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ps queue the Pee taking Happy - firstly from Scarlet a 4'2 ginger female on a ski at least 2m longer and 60 cm wider than mine Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarlet wrote:
@PaulC1984, there is no way you could manage with a one ski quiver – your wallet would be burning until you'd purchased a pair to match every jacket!

I just knew you'd be along Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

(PS your not wrong Laughing )
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PaulC1984 wrote:
Ps queue the Pee taking Happy - firstly from Scarlet a 4'2 ginger female on a ski at least 2m longer and 60 cm wider than mine Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Oi! Even I'm not that short! True about the skis though NehNeh

PS. Where are you?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Out in Cervinia at the mo. Wish I could upload some videos it's 'proper lush' out here atm. In arraba in a few weeks
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

Cervinia has a bit of snow atm.

Sorry for hijacking the thread btw Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I fixed the last post, ish, hoping for some snow on Thursday to see what the 95s are like in new snow.
@matrski was in Tignes with me for a day at xmas on some long radius, wider waisted skis, I thought he'd forgotten how to ski. He's back on his iRallys this week and it's like he's been resurrected!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tangowaggon wrote:

@matrski was in Tignes with me for a day at xmas on some long radius, wider waisted skis, I thought he'd forgotten how to ski. He's back on his iRallys this week and it's like he's been resurrected!

It took me a good day and a half to get the measure of going from 70 to 92mm on piste. It was a timing thing, especially in shorter turns. My Daughter said I was doing half Star Jumps, as I caught the edge of the unweighted ski, as I attempted not to fall over. After that, everything settled down, as i allowed the ski the time it needed to change edges....but for me, there was definitely a period of re-adjustment necessary.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@tangowaggon, that's what suprised me most about going from my titans to kastles - 15mm wais difference and I couldn't tell the difference. Truly astounded how easy they ski as I'm normally a totalk fanny once I put wider skis on Toofy Grin
snow report
Do NOT get caught up in equipment, it's a myopic crutch, especially, fondly attended to by neophyte myopes..................
snow report
50cm forecast for tomorrow 😁😁😁😁😁 hopefully I finally get to ski wider skis where they are meant for.
latest report
I can never decide on whether to have a quiver or use a single ski for everything. In recent years I've pretty much gravitated toward 100 mm waist AM skis, which I find a good compromise for the soft snow conditions in BC. It's not often I wish I was on a different type of ski. I also find narrow piste skis with a deep sidecut a bit weird after so much time on wider skis. In softer snow I actually prefer carving the wider skis at speed on piste and off-piste it's no contest. I've pretty much given up with pure SL and GS type skis in favour of more versatile options. But then I might think very differently if I was skiing somewhere full of icy steep pistes!
latest report
tangowaggon wrote:
Never goes on piste or,
Never goes off piste or,
Is easily satisfied or,
Is a fantastic skier or,
Needs to get some lessons or
Is a tight fisted peasant like me Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

28 years of skiing has taught me its more a case of Indian > Arrow. Theres no one ski to rule them all, its just not possible. Have a listen to the Blister podcast where the interview the two engineers from Volkl about the development of the new Mantra (m5 version), its a fascinating insight into the dilemmas they faced and how they decided in which direction go.

I like to have a ski that I could take on trips that covers the bases if I'm space limited but ideally I always take two (70/30 piste to all mountain and powder).

This season I will be adding a solo ski (188cm Black Crows Deamon) to the quiver but I know it does everything enough to be viable enough for how I ski.
ski holidays
@lordf, until a few days ago I'd have been with you here. But having used my Kastles in anger on and off piste, they're about as close to a 1 ski quiver as I think one could get. Ok, so not had in true powder, but been over to zermatt today to find some less crusty bits and boot to knee deep and they do great, and I'm a bit of a fanny off piste.

As for on piste, well they are as good as my titans. This pic is taken as a screen shot off a video on my phone, so may look pants on a computer, but let's just say they carve a dream on piste, ice not an issue.

latest report
PaulC1984 wrote:
@lordf, until a few days ago I'd have been with you here. But having used my Kastles in anger on and off piste, they're about as close to a 1 ski quiver as I think one could get. Ok, so not had in true powder, but been over to zermatt today to find some less crusty bits and boot to knee deep and they do great, and I'm a bit of a fanny off piste.

As for on piste, well they are as good as my titans. This pic is taken as a screen shot off a video on my phone, so may look pants on a computer, but let's just say they carve a dream on piste, ice not an issue.

I broke my MX88's last season, I loved them and the Deamon is more compromised in some conditions but overall for me they are more versatile than my MX88's, I could still lay a trench and get my knuckles down on a firm groomed run. They are not the GS ski that the MX88 were but then again if its bullet proof ice I will just take my race sticks out, I'm happier to have a very versatile ski over the raw power of the MX88.
snow conditions
@PaulC1984, which ski do you have? Sorry not familiar with the brand
ski holidays
@Bennyboy1, I have a lot of skis lol, but these Kastles are the FX95HP.

I've had a few off piste skis, Whitedot Preachers, the R108 Carbons and now the Kastles.

Whilst the Whitedot's were ok, and some speak very highly of them, I just couldn't get them to work for me at all.

As all out piste skis I have an array of Heads (SL's, I Speeds, Titans). I'd bought the Kastles as an off piste ski that'll cope on piste when needed, but I just can't put them down now. They ski incredibly similar to the Titans (Kastle do the Stiff HP version which I have) but have the added bonus of being able to go off with them. I'm certainly a convert to a 95 underfoot on piste - never thought I'd say that!
snow conditions
PS, freestyle no issue either 😂😂😂 #TotallyBossedTheLandingStill 😂😂😂

Backseat Driver 💪💪

ski holidays
Are yours the new version of the Chris Davenport FX95 @PaulC1984? I had the original version and while pretty good I ended up braking the tips throwing a turn I was more used on my GS sticks, it appears they didn't like to have as much force through them as I put...
snow conditions
@lordf, haha lol, yes they are the new version, you can certainly drive them, I'm hoping not to break them just yet, the colour is all matchy matchy with my kit which is obviously the main thing! 😂😂
latest report
PaulC1984 wrote:

As all out piste skis I have an array of Heads (SL's, I Speeds, Titans). I'd bought the Kastles as an off piste ski that'll cope on piste when needed, but I just can't put them down now. They ski incredibly similar to the Titans (Kastle do the Stiff HP version which I have) but have the added bonus of being able to go off with them. I'm certainly a convert to a 95 underfoot on piste - never thought I'd say that!

I've had similar experience with the latest crop of 95-100 mm AM skis. After skiing Volkl 90Eights almost exclusively for the last season I'm about to sell my dedicated piste carvers (Movement Le Fer). I did a back-to-back test at the start of the season on firm (but not too icy) pistes and much preferred the wider skis. Sure they are a little slower edge to edge, but quick enough and super smooth at all speeds. Of course much better in anything ungroomed too. I'm sure your FX95 HPs are fantastic too. It's just the sort of ski I would go for these days. I've already got my eye on the Mantra M5 for next season.
snow report
@Bennyboy1, managed to upload a few Vids to YouTube of the Kastles on piste and in crud. None off piste sadly

http://youtube.com/v/hUBxJb91VYc
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PaulC1984 wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:
Never goes on piste or,
Never goes off piste or,
Is easily satisfied or,
Is a fantastic skier or,

That diet must have worked then Paul Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
D
snow report
tangowaggon wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:
Never goes on piste or,
Never goes off piste or,
Is easily satisfied or,
Is a fantastic skier or,

D

The diet must have worked wonders Paul Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
@tangowaggon, I've been trying to behave. Hols in Finland over new year, cervinia now and arabba in a few weeks is not going to help that situation rolling eyes
snow conditions
@PaulC1984, I've found the perfect diet, it's called the odour of Tango's gloves, it'll put you off food for life!
ski holidays
Embarassed Embarassed Shocked yummy Happy
latest report
It was going so well!!!!

http://youtube.com/v/1XvaYNLmBcE@PaulC1984,
snow report
I might have to eat my words!!!!!
After a couple of days on the Head Venturi 95s, bought without testing at 181cm, 95mm underfoot and just a 16m turn radius, I'm finally tuned into them and ripping them throught the bumps, carving silly angles and, despite the fail at the end going good in a bit of thin pow.
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/z0Bg1fLOvaU
ski holidays
Hahaha best video every (despite being in portrait!!)

Said you'd like em wink
latest report
"Okay Garrryyyyy" Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Y'know, this discussion takes me back to the days of yore,

"Hey, it's a powder day, best take out the GS skis (207cms, no perceptible side cut, natural turn radius of a large supertanker) and leave the SLs (203cms, no perceptible side cut, natural turn radius of a slightly smaller large supertanker) at home - woohoo!"

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 2-02-18 11:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@under a new name, 😂😂

Well if all 7'6, 180kg of Ginger @tangowaggon, can ski on 95mm underfoot with a 16m radius, I'm pretry sure theres no need for fat skis. Fat skis are for lazy people (grenade thrown).... I jest of course Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy