Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yellow lens flat light day did not help

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm having good results with POC NXT variable lens goggles. They don't seem to have any noticeable colour tint, but both contrast and clarity is great. I've skied them in everything from sun to complete white-out and always been impressed. But there are times when you have to be realistic about what you can (or can't) see. Nothing really helps much in a full on white-out. Personally I don't really like colour tinted goggles, I much prefer a true colour presentation with appropriate sun tint, glare reduction and contrast enhancement. POC NXT lenses seem to provide all those qualities and are pretty scratch resistant too (unlike some of their other lenses).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
red 27 wrote:
Goggles keep the weather and the UV out of your eyes - nothing more.

All these trick lenses are just a huge marketing con to separate the gullible from their €

Totally agree. I've bought 10+ pairs of goggles over the years (yes I swayed by the swanky adverts!!) and on some days nothing will help. I wear a dark lens 80% of the time and on very poor light days go to a Hi Blue lens just to lighten things up.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gyro wrote:
Totally agree. I've bought 10+ pairs of goggles over the years (yes I swayed by the swanky adverts!!) and on some days nothing will help.

Did the adverts say they would enable you to see in a whiteout?

Gyro wrote:
I wear a dark lens 80% of the time and on very poor light days go to a Hi Blue lens just to lighten things up.

So you do wear them then - sometimes?

Don't get me wrong I don't buy "swanky" goggles. But I am not sure there is much mis-selling go on either.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just messed up my yellow flat light lenses for my Dragon Rogue goggles last week by rubbing at them in icy drizzle and scratching part of the coating off. Not smart.

I've now got a new lens which is rose-pink and claims to be for low light, fog and artificial light. Looking forward to reporting back after its first use. Personally I've found that going from a fixed lens set of goggles to ones with interchangeable lenses has been a revelation, and I routinely swap the two lenses according to the light on any particular day.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Layne wrote:
Gyro wrote:
Totally agree. I've bought 10+ pairs of goggles over the years (yes I swayed by the swanky adverts!!) and on some days nothing will help.

Did the adverts say they would enable you to see in a whiteout?

No

Gyro wrote:
I wear a dark lens 80% of the time and on very poor light days go to a Hi Blue lens just to lighten things up.

So you do wear them then - sometimes?

As I clearly said "on poor light days I go to a Hi Blue lens" so quite obviously yes I do wear them sometimes when it's too dark to wear a dark lens.

Don't get me wrong I don't buy "swanky" goggles. But I am not sure there is much mis-selling go on either.

Never said there was any "mis-selling" but support the idea that there is little point in buying multiple lenses as they add little if any advantage.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Gyro wrote:

Never said there was any "mis-selling" but support the idea that there is little point in buying multiple lenses as they add little if any advantage.

Depends where you ski and how much you want to optimise for conditions. My wife has a pair of excellent Anon WM1s with a magnetic lens attachment, so changing lenses is very quick and easy. She has 3 lenses for high, medium and low light. For sure the medium lens works well in a wide range of conditions, but there are definitely times when the low light lens is worth swapping to and times when the sunny lens helps reduce glare and eye fatigue in direct sunlight. It's not marketing, it's just common sense. Can you live without 3 lenses? Yes of course you can, but it doesn't mean that multiple lenses don't help considerably if you want the best vision in differing light conditions. It's not like mountain light is consistent. I've had single days with everything from white out to bright sunlight and pretty much everything else in-between. One of the reasons I moved to a variable lens, which is another solution.

My take on goggles is to buy the best you can comfortably afford considering vision is critical in skiing. It's also a matter of finding a pair that fits your face well and works with your helmet too (if applicable).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry I have a very lazy eye. Flat light with the wrong goggles sends me home. However, hi intensity yellow from Oakley keeps me skiing. So disagree with comments above, the right goggles makes a massive difference.
I happen to think different lenses work differently for different people. Rose do s not help me.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy