Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow. be careful what you wish for.

Poster: A snowHead
Some conditions are horrible though! Biblical rain, lifts closed for high winds or avalanche risk. Roads closed so you can't even get to the front de neige. Resorts in lock down with even pedestrian movement is prohibited. All have happened in last few weeks!

I know that some people are just perpetual moaners but it's also irrirating when experienced skiers sneer at people who can't cope with difficult conditions or just prefer to sit in a cosy bar. I am a sailor and recognise that some people couldn't cope with conditions which I enjoy - but also that plenty of people will deal competently with conditions which I couldn't cope with. It takes all sorts.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just back from 4 days in Les Arc 2000.
Day 1 - resort closed with recorded winds of over 190kph at the top of the mountain. It was crazy windy in resort. Day 2 - Only the lift from 1950 to 2000 was open, so not skiing again. Day 3 - 2 lifts open until early afternoon. Day 4 - Most lifts open and we skied all day.

Friends in Tignes Le Lac experienced similar, but were told to stay indoors on day 2 due to avalanche risks.

Friends in VT had the awful transfer on 30 December and had to sleep in a gym on transfer. Then the winds came and stopped most of the lifts for a few days!

You book early to go to the mountains, expect changeable weather. We did not moan, we just had a laugh in the bars and restaurants.

On the plus side, it's just over 3 weeks until I go to Meribel. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whitegold wrote:
almost there wrote:
Currently out in La Tania for a few days-after arriving on Tuesday we had 2days of continuous rain which is perhaps not unusual at 1300 metres. What was unusual was the it had also rained heavily right up to 2300 metres with the rain creating shallow galleys in the snow and ruining any chance of off piste skiing.
Makes you wonder if there is anything in the climate change theory?

Lol.

Global warming is 100% beyond doubt.

The European Alps have seen 80-90% reduction in year-round ski areas, 20-30% reduction in annual snowfall, 20-30% reduction in glacier ice, and 10-20% reduction in Winter season-length since the 1970s.

Days and days of heavy rain at 1300m (and above) in the peak coldness of January this year is yet another sign that Europe is heating up.

And keep in mind -- French ski resorts are now officially making plans for "no snow by 2030", due to global warming.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/French-ski-stations-prepare-for-no-snow-by-2030
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitegold wrote:
And keep in mind -- French ski resorts are now officially making plans for "no snow by 2030", due to global warming.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/French-ski-stations-prepare-for-no-snow-by-2030

No, the article says this (not NO snow):

"French ski stations are preparing for a future without reliable snow by 2030, and looking into alternative ways to attract tourists in the winter months."

We can already see signs tat some resorts such as Chatel adapting to climate change by looking at innovative snow making techniques such as the snow factory and making a big push for year round tourism and activities.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

No such thing as bad conditions; just different conditions.

Much as I sympathise with the sentiment if it is raining at low levels, wind closes the top lifts and the avalanche risk is 4 or 5 (as was true at times last week) then conditions ARE bad!

Many of us have the very substantial consolation that the base is being laid down for fun later in the season but if that is your one ski holiday then I think you are entitled to feel a bit miffed if someone tells you to grow a pair and make the most of the "different" conditions.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Now I'm back again at a real keyboard,

Even though we are in Chamonix, many of our guests are young families and as a broad generalisation, they ... "want sunshine and groomed pistes."

We do have some groups out expressly for off piste, but in the main, that's not the case. Looking at the standards of most holiday skiers, it's a similar situation.

So last week was really not helpful even if we do still have the most marvellous pack of snow.

+ you can't really enjoy the skiing if nothing's open, for whatever reason.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jedster, @under a new name, trust me I have sympathy for anybody out there last week, especially given for many it may have been a family trip and a costly one at that. But I disagree with the OP statement "For the majority, although they haven’t rationalised it last year was much better" and unders statement "Our clients want sunshine and groomed pistes." in that many of the pistes of recent Christmasses have been full of stones, brown patches or not open. On top of which there has been a big reduction in the mountain ambience - an indefinable but definite factor in what draws people to go skiing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

No such thing as bad conditions; just different conditions.

I've long held this view, and subscribed to the theory that skiing when it's difficult will make me a better skier when the conditions are good, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Was out in Flaine in mid December in complete whiteout, on what would have been lovely powder had I been able to see it, when I found myself suffering from snow-sickness (as it turned out when I got home). Stopping every couple of turns to try and heave my lunch up was not a pleasant experience. Eventually got back to base mid-afternoon and had to take myself off to bed.

Quote:

perfectly groomed hard and fast piste is "icy horribleness" I will scream!!

I'm with you there. One of my oldest skiing friends must finish every run with a 'oooh - there was a bit of ice there, wasn't there!?'. No! There absolutely wasn't. It was glorious!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Layne, ah, yes, those I do agree with. This year is unquestionably better than the last 3, although I don’t think last week will have the desired effect of restoring faith (no matter how misplaced) in paying me a handsome rate for New Year accommodation Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

But I disagree with the OP statement "For the majority, although they haven’t rationalised it last year was much better" and unders statement "Our clients want sunshine and groomed pistes."

so do I!
I was only reacting to the assertion that there is no such thing as bad conditions!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
emwmarine wrote:
When we look at the annual weather forecast thread there is, almost, universal rubbing of thighs at each predicted fall of the white stuff. Excited little groans at the idea of bigger depths descending.

This year has been exceptional.

Yet the result has been incredibly poor for the average skier. Last year was way way better - at least for those staying in high resorts.

I am not trolling and I am being serious.

Last year, and I can only speak for Val Thorens there was reasonable cover on all the pistes. Every person who rented my apartment reported back much the same. Fantastic sunshine, pistes surprisingly good though bit icy and scratchy, fantastic time. This year it’s ‘deep snow great, flat light, trouble getting here/going, cant go out, miserable, one or two epic days, deep snow but still icy’.

Now most people who ski are not snowheads off piste pow junkies. For the majority, although they haven’t rationalised it last year was much better.

‘Bit icy and scratchy, fantastic time’ sound dreadful.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi @Gerry, I see you are contributing sfa again.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Layne wrote:
Hi @Gerry, I see you are contributing sfa again.

Sounds dreadful and reminds me of why I took to the off-piste on my second week skiing. Is that OK with you? Sorry I don't think exactly like you do. Anyway, I'll leave you to continue wetting the bed.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK, for you ice and hardpack aficionados (fetishists wink): would you rather put up with 1-2 days of snowfall on your holiday in exchange for nice fresh groomed pistes the rest of the week, or would you really rather 7 days of wall to wall sunshine but with old rattley 'icy and scratchy' snow?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
OK, for you ice and hardpack aficionados (fetishists wink): would you rather put up with 1-2 days of snowfall on your holiday in exchange for nice fresh groomed pistes the rest of the week, or would you really rather 7 days of wall to wall sunshine but with old rattley 'icy and scratchy' snow?

Visibility is a massive issue for many people. For example some people can't ski in goggles or even manage a pair though the day if they try. This causes them to believe that they can't ski in poor vis.
ski holidays
Well I would. But I don't think many people would buy the NY week which many French resorts endured! Resorts in lockdown. Even in tame Les Saisies our lift was closed for high wind and although some others were open on one day they were unreachable because of avalanche risk on the road. Even if you were mad enough to want to ski in Biblical rain driven by high winds! It was an absolute shocker. Saturday was good, which must have been galling for the vast majority who had to drive home.

Perhaps my views are coloured by having had to entertain an 8 month old baby and a not-very-well 6 year old....
ski holidays
@pam w, I would agree with you on NY week, but that wasn't the question posed.
ski holidays
Gerry wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Visibility is a massive issue for many people. For example some people can't ski in goggles or even manage a pair though the day if they try. This causes them to believe that they can't ski in poor vis.

I'm not a fan of skiing on the moon either, but that's what trees are for! The obsession with 'going high' probably doesn't help matters.

But yeah, not talking about NY week but rather generally.
snow report
@clarky999,
I’m quite happy if it snows all week provided gales aren’t shutting the lifts, avalanche risk isnt prohibitive and it’s snow rather than rain
ski holidays
@jedster, @clarky999, see today's post in Serre Che report thread - pretty good example of what can be achieved Cool
snow report
emwmarine wrote:
When we look at the annual weather forecast thread there is, almost, universal rubbing of thighs at each predicted fall of the white stuff. Excited little groans at the idea of bigger depths descending.

This year has been exceptional.

Yet the result has been incredibly poor for the average skier. Last year was way way better - at least for those staying in high resorts.

I am not trolling and I am being serious.

Last year, and I can only speak for Val Thorens there was reasonable cover on all the pistes. Every person who rented my apartment reported back much the same. Fantastic sunshine, pistes surprisingly good though bit icy and scratchy, fantastic time. This year it’s ‘deep snow great, flat light, trouble getting here/going, cant go out, miserable, one or two epic days, deep snow but still icy’.

Now most people who ski are not snowheads off piste pow junkies. For the majority, although they haven’t rationalised it last year was much better.

Just wanted to point out that a lot of skiiers are seeking atmosphere too, not just good skiing. I'm sure there were many like me that flew across the Atlantic to find an expensive resort (like St. Moritz) brown and green. I don't care how good your snow-making is, it won't make the experience worth the cost.
snow report
You'd have to be pretty dumb to not realise that booking a ski holiday is an entirely weather related gamble. If your gamble doesn't pay off there's not much point grumbling about it. Either take it on the chin and hope for better next time or perhaps book a week at Mount Hemel for next holidays where that pesky mountain weather can't affect you.
snow report
swiftoid wrote:
You'd have to be pretty dumb to not realise that booking a ski holiday is an entirely weather related gamble. If your gamble doesn't pay off there's not much point grumbling about it. Either take it on the chin and hope for better next time or perhaps book a week at Mount Hemel for next holidays where that pesky mountain weather can't affect you.

Not sure if you're addressing me, but I'm not grumbling about it, just letting OP know that there's more to "good on-piste skiing" than the actual skiing.
snow conditions
@swiftoid,
of course - you are right. We should probably kill all the discussion on weather and conditions then Laughing
Humans would be a different species if we only complained about things we could change!
latest report
Pila in Aosta was closed yesterday and again today. Very very frustrating. Don't know when it'll be open
ski holidays
moseyp wrote:
Pila in Aosta was closed yesterday and again today. Very very frustrating. Don't know when it'll be open

It was open someone is posting from there. Limited but open.
snow report
Was in La Tania w/c 16 Dec - conditions absolutely superb.
snow report
jedster wrote:
@swiftoid,
of course - you are right. We should probably kill all the discussion on weather and conditions then Laughing
Humans would be a different species if we only complained about things we could change!

Nah, no need to kill all discussion on weather and conditions. For the past several years I've booked a Christmas/NY trip in the summer and, obviously, I've had no idea what the conditions were going to be like 6 months down the line. Mostly they've not been optimum but great fun has been had regardless partly because I didn't book with the expectation of 'perfect' (for me) conditions.
People should book with the mindset that 'conditions will probably be totally crap but I'll make the most of it anyway' like I do. It's all about managing expectations - I set mine extremely low so usually find myself pleasantly surprised snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swiftoid wrote:
It's all about managing expectations - I set mine extremely low so usually find myself pleasantly surprised snowHead snowHead

Be Nice please! me. now my wife has registered and is on here.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy