Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott SRS pole straps - too short?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Bit of an odd one to post about but here goes...

I used to love Scott ski poles, always thought the WC racer straps were great and shaft tough. I just got some Riot 18 poles.

They have the SRS strap, which is one of the reasons the poles appealed. I have wrenched my shoulder before...

The straps are also marked left and right. My current K2 poles are handed and so is an ok small detail.

My hands are long but not fat. I am a size 11 glove.

I am using them right! Used to race and teach so know which way up they go etc. Laughing

With the straps right at the end of the velcro adjustment I can barely get my hand on the grip. It's a tight wiggle to get my hand in the strap and then my thumb is above the top of the pole. The left/right text also disappears inside the adjustment! The straps just seem too short.

With my very slim spring gloves on they are just right.

Anyone else using SRS straps? Any issues with strap length?
I can't see how to modify the straps or get spares.

I'll also write to Scott.

I might just dump straps as I ski mostly off piste, sometimes trees and avy terrain. Very handy for piling on the flats though, and hanging off skis at the café.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Should you use straps anyway? BTW skilegs, who started that thread, is one of the best skiers I've skied with.

skilegs wrote:
Years ago I hurt my thumb using my straps and ever since, on the advice of an eminent Swiss mountain guide, I have never used them again and never had a problem except very occasionally when poling I have left one behind. I do not feel they make any difference to my pole plant so why do manufacturers always include them. Heliskiers never use them nor do dry ski slopes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, a very enlightening thread echoing a lot of my thoughts. I have dodgy thumbs but also a 30 year engrained habit of open hand poling, mostly on the flat for power, and a solid pole plant on bumps and steeps. I'll be trying without for sure.

However I'm still confused buy the fact one of the main marketing points of the poles (I actually bought them for the long grip for hiking/traverses so no straps in that mode, as well as moar ORANGE!) is the quick release strap, which really doesn't seem to fit my hand. Odd.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy