Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Smith Men's I/O Goggles, White/Red Sol-X Mirror, One Size https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FOHIJ1K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_YWivAbT9955K4?tag=amz07b-21
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Smith Optics I/O Unisex Ski Goggles, unisex adult, I/O, Sunset, M https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CWIDPOK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_J0ivAbY0M8XER?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In all honesty the I/O goggles are just as good and a hell of a lot cheaper. I was going to get them but ended up with the I/O 7 because they were cheaper on the sale.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layne wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:
@Layne,
Quote:

Personally I prefer glasses unless it's snowing

Surely not with a helmet? wink Laughing

Correct, no helmet Laughing Laughing

Weeeell you would think so, but .... I have a pair of sun specs with thin arms that I wear with no probs under a helmet. I have prescription lenses in them, polarising, I wear them 90% of the time, keep my goggles in my pocket. They are Maui Jim so not the cheapest in the world, but if you have prescription glasses I would vote for good polaroid sunglasses with thin arms, keep the goggles for snowy days. Don't know if that helps the OP, so sorry if this is thread drift.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use Oakley Flightdecks and have no issues. Lenses easy to change and being big they give a good field of vision. Hi vis lenses for bad light and fire iridium red for when its sunny.
The hi vis ones look blueish from the outside but are light yellow from the inside and are easy to change and have never come out.
My partner and oldest son use Oakley Canopy with a similar lense combo and are very pleases with them

My youngest uses goggles from a small start up firm called Slug Optics. He has blue iridium for sun and a pale yellow for low vis
The goggle were reasonable compared to the Oakleys and have lenses that are attached via magnets so take a couple of seconds to change.
He used then snowboarding for 3 weeks over christmas/new year and hasnt had any issues with them coming out or the quality
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
grimupnorth wrote:
Layne wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:
@Layne,
Quote:

Personally I prefer glasses unless it's snowing

Surely not with a helmet? wink Laughing

Correct, no helmet Laughing Laughing

Weeeell you would think so, but .... I have a pair of sun specs with thin arms that I wear with no probs under a helmet. I have prescription lenses in them, polarising, I wear them 90% of the time, keep my goggles in my pocket. They are Maui Jim so not the cheapest in the world, but if you have prescription glasses I would vote for good polaroid sunglasses with thin arms, keep the goggles for snowy days. Don't know if that helps the OP, so sorry if this is thread drift.

I always thought polarised sunglasses weren't good for skiing because you can't really tell the difference between snow and ice...

There are great inserts you can buy that fit into pretty much any pair of goggles.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mrs and I use Zeal Fargo goggles with Automatic lenses (VLT 18-33%) - they're polarised and photochromic so never change lenses. If it looks like it might get really low light shitty then we each carry a pair of Smiths Scope goggles with Blue Sensor lenses in case we need to "limp home".
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've tried photochromic (albeit about 5 years ago) and found that they were not as good as interchangeable lenses. Whilst it's true it's less faff they don't (or didn't - may have changed) offer as much clarity as lenses exclusively tuned for specific light conditions (bright, flat, snowstorm etc).

I bought the Anon M1 goggles three years ago and have loved them. Had three lenses and, since I always carry a backpack (I have kids), it was never any hassle to put two in the backpack. I just left them there all the time and swapped them out when conditions merited. Since the attachment was magnetic and therefore very quick and easy I would usually change them on a lift - a genuine thirty second job if that.

However, I was very disappointed to discover that, after only three years, Anon are no longer making replacement lenses for these goggles so with two of the lenses showing signs of wear I'm going to have to buy some new ones. Whilst I really liked the M1 goggles I'm not going to go with Anon again as I'm rather concerned that the same would happen again and I would end up left with goggles for which there were no lenses available.

So, I seek the wisdom of Snowheads; what are the best (ideally magnetic but, if not, very fast and easy to change) interchangeable lens goggles ? I hear good things about the Smith I/O and the Oakley Airbrake XL - but neither of those are magnetic I believe so how easy are the lenses to change ? Also, would want to have some reassurance that the manufacturer will continue to supply replacement lenses.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’m very happy with my Smith I/Os. They’ve done 5 seasons and with good care the original lenses are still more or less like new. Irritatingly, the blackout lenses I finally had delivered last season have picked up a big scratchy area right in the middle.

I don’t think you can expect mfrs to support for ever, buy extra sets on first purchase!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
I don’t think you can expect mfrs to support for ever, buy extra sets on first purchase!

I'm not expecting them to do so and I did buy an extra lens when I bought the goggles. I just think three years is an unreasonably short period - five is an acceptable minimum, seven to ten would be good.

It's not even as if they would have to continue making them if they just produced a sensible number relative to the number of pairs of goggles made. I'm sure they know roughly how long a lens lasts in typical use so it's not difficult maths ... if it were two years (I'm guessing and making it a simple number) then all they would have to do would be to make four lenses per pair sold and then they would have ten years of supply. And, yes, I know it's slightly more complex than that given different colours/types but it's not much more complex and, after a while, if you can just buy one bright light and one low light replacement you would.

And, clearly, other manufacturers DO support their older products much better ...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Blackblade, I bought my IOS in ‘13, Ski ~60 days a year and lenses are still available despite frame update.

Have to say they are the best I’ve used in 45 ski years and I am liking the look of their Chromapop lenses.

Bear in mind for most folks these are fashion items.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:

That''s a good recommendation - thank you.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy