Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

California - Short Break Ideas

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Right, looks like i'm being dispatched to California for a trade show in February. Seen as i'm going all that way and it's ski season i'm not averse to tacking on a few days holiday, need resort ideas based on the following criteria:

-i'll be reasonably close to LAX/SNA airports, could also hire a car and drive I guess
-Vague plan leave Friday afternoon/evening after the show, Ski Saturday and Sunday, head back to LAX for a return flight on Sunday or Monday Night (There's a 2030 flight out of LA on Monday night back to the UK that would work nicely)
-I don't like scaring myself - happy with cruisey reds, the odd easy black.
-Doesn't need to be the hugest resort in the world as only there for a few days
-Have done a reasonable amount of skiing in Europe but never in the USA.

Where to start looking please
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/travel/best-ski-resorts-near-los-angeles
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mammoth would be my tip. I've driven up there from LA for a weekend.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Big Bear is an easy drive (2-3hrs) as is Wrightwood, and I think both would provide a couple of days entertainment.

There are daily flights between Mammoth and LAX, tho' I think they are a little weather-vulnerable.

Reno is also an easy flight and then 30-60mins drive to some of the Tahoe resorts.

Edited to correct my driving times a bit on investigation!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tahoe
Gamble in Nevada side & Smoke pot in California side.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mammoth or Heavenly would be the closest "destination resorts" but are a fairly long drive by European standards. Neither have had a great start to the season, but should be fine by Feb - especially if your just looking for piste skiing.

If you head to San bernardino you have pretty good access to a couple of smaller resorts like bear and snow valley. Skiing is far less extensive, but should comfortably be able to fill 2-3 days. Also about half the drive of mammoth or heavenly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy