Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anyone used the SNOCRU app yet?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,

In the past I have always used Ski Tracks to record my runs and to my knowledge it is the most used app out there. Recently I found an app called Snocru which is essentially the same thing with the added bonus that you can track your friends on the slope so you can find out where everyone is. Has anyone actually used this yet? Does it work well?

I am going skiing in a couple of weeks and want to know what everyone is using! Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I haven't tried either of them but "find a friend" sounds like a pretty useful feature (providing it doesn't drain the battery any more than usual!) and their website does look rather smart

My usual app is Slopes on iOS as it draws pretty 3D maps you can share to make sure everyone knows you are up a mountain snowHead but i'm definitely now tempted to try out snocru next time I go skiing, let me know if its worth a bash!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have loaded Snocru but haven't used it, as I have been very happy with SkiTracks - and had some concerns about 'Big Brother' keeping tabs on me! I have also looked at Crystal Holidays', free, Ski Explorer app, which has a friend tracking facility and some other useful features.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just read a review that nothing works without an internet connection. Can anyone verify that?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You get a reasonable 4G signal in most of the PdS.
I will give it a whirl in Super Chatel, Linga, PLJ, Plaine Dranse, Les Crosets and Avoriaz tomorrow, to see how it goes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layne wrote:
Just read a review that nothing works without an internet connection. Can anyone verify that?

Don't know about that app in particular, but your phone knows where it is because it has an onboard GPS. The only way anyone else can know that, or you can know where they are, is if that info is uploaded/downloaded by internet connection.

I used the Crystalski one a year ago, and the only way to have info about others location was by being connected to the internet. If you're lucky, you now have free international roaming with a normal contract, but how much data it'll use will depend on the refresh rate.

If you have free internet in Europe, maybe try it for a day, and check your usage carefully before leaving it running. Or just limit your phone to wifi and check in when you stop at a cafe or bar...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski Tracks doesn't need an internet connection.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use Maprika, which overlays your tracks on to pre-downloaded piste maps. No "find a friend" facility, though. Speeds and distances feel more plausible than some of the clearly erroneous numbers that Ski Tracks comes up with on occasions - entirely unscientific "feeling" though.

Tried the Crystal app for keeping tabs on kids and friends on slopes - really not very reliable and gave up with it after a couple of days.

Always interesting to compare the stats from the various apps run simultaneously. The variances are such that it does call into question the accuracy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike S wrote:
Ski Tracks doesn't need an internet connection.

Yes, that is what I currently use with data turned off hence my question.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Okay so basically,

Crystal Ski Explorer = a bit rubbish
Ski tracks = amazing but no friends and family tracking.

I am wondering if I am going to have to use both!?

I have to decide between ski tracks/Explorer/Snocru for my trip next week. I think I will most likely continue using ski tracks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Check out snoww as well. I’ve not used it yet but will next time. I’ve used Slopes and think it’s very good
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snoww states it just uses GPS not data. Seems the Android version is newish and so still work in progress. Lots of carp about competing, trophies, etc. Not particularly seeing a reason to ditch Ski Tracks for that right now.

Is Slopes on Android?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tried it a few months ago, thought it was rubbish. Couldn't add any friends to it even though we were all sat there with our phones logged in together.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another one to try is SKADI
Some members of my family have just been out in Morzine and they were recomended this one. Basically you enter in your level (i.e only blues, blues and reds etc) into the setting, pop one ear phone in and it will guide you around mountain whilst also searching for crystals, magic animals and dwarves along the way. A good one if you're skiing with kids.
(Also works offline)
snow report
Have to say that I am pretty disappointed with the Free version of SnoCru for the following reasons:
- It seemed to cane my phone battery faster then other tracking apps
- not a very easy interface
- can't seem easily to view saved tracks on a web browser on a desktop computer ( Chrome )
- random ( annoying ) videos played during the navigation ( which I assume is coming on my roamed data)
- rather than just limiting the functions of the free version it is filled with adverts

It did manage to track 2 half days round the PdS, but I would avoid this as compared with other Free tracking apps it's a crock.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy