Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vallee Blanche (studid question, great answers)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
GrahamN wrote:
ski, My fantasy skirun would be the top half of the VB and the bottom half of the Vallons de la Meije.

Shocked you mean the bit where you have to fight your way down a slushy path? ok, it's a more interesting slushy path than the one at the bottom of the VB, but it still has no place in a fantasy run of mine!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Everyone ! Evil or Very Mad Please, let's not get into a 'VB is better (or not) than LG' rolling eyes .......they're both wonderful Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski,

There is no alternative to the arrete unless you go via Helbronner which might include a nice pitch into the classic VB path itself but thereafter it is a jaunt through the merging glaciers which whilst visually stunning doesn't hold much skiing appeal. IMV the best routes are the Envers and the like which means you will have to navigate the arrete. The conditions of which, of course, varies and crampons are a good idea or the guide might rope you. They bank the walk down the Italian so a fall is mostly a long slide although it is traversable if you want and the path isn't too crowded. It would be very hard to get into a position to fall down the French side IMV.

If you want to do it you will have to steel yourself for a roped up situation but plenty of people just walk through the channel in ski boots and the Guides dance around on top of the ridge without a care berateting people for being up there without sufficient equipment.
Its well worth doing but only you can say how much your vertigo will hamper you
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT, Sadly - having seen the arrete, it will mean I can never do it except from the other side - don't know anything about that. Not into climbing or skinning either (very bad side effects on my back). Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

SMALLZOOKEEPER I wish you serious vertigo too! NehNeh NehNeh
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT, looks like we're going to have to get together, get jonpim to administer some ketamine or something and carry easiski down the arrete ourselves Shocked Very Happy ! How much weight did you say you were going to lose, Charlotte?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, Come over, your game is over-coming fear too? It's easy, swallow some of your own medicine! Little Angel
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, I'm very sorry to hear of your back and vertigo. I'd disagree with JT, it's not a bad trip from Helbronner (certainly better than the normal route) snowHead ...and at least you'll miss the crowds at the Midi..... snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski, Crowds? I'm outside the lift, playing table tennis with myself! Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, I hate ridges too. I don't suffer vertigo, just Paralysing Panic. My solution has been to get behind a lady with an attractive bum, and fix my eyes on it. Never look down. Keep walking. And concentrate on that rear bumper.
You might prefer a pert bloke bum, but the principle is the same. snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm no way an expert and the last thing I want to do is walk down a snowy ridge in ski boots, carrying skis, roped to 6 other idiots with a sheer drop to Chamonix one one side but I did it 3 years ago and despite the route taken by the guide being a tough one (according to him and he did fall over a couple of times) it was well worth it. easiski, screw your courage to the sticking plate and give it a go. An awesome trip!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, that's a popular mis-conception. Vertigo has nothing to do with fear. It's an ear/balance thing that gets triggered off in certain places. Not always the same places, but for sure, somewhere like that arete. The point is that as you become dizzy, your legs shake and you feel sick (not always all 3, but I've been near to fainting once or twice), you do become much more likely to have a fall or slip as your balance is severely disturbed. I figure I could manage the path in the photo if I looked steadfastly at my feet and the snow wall but ....

Jonpim, But where to find one with all these lardy boys???

ski, Thanks - I get a bit woozy everytime I set off on the Vallons de la Meije - It just looks as if the whole world's dropping away from you!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If the only choice is from Helbronner then it is worth doing, its just that I would want to start from the midi and do one of those routes. Once you get to the path I maintain that the scenery is the thing as the skiing part has long gone

GrahamN, I've always thought the worst part about the ridge is the crowds, I've seen people ski it to avoid them.

Carrying seems a good idea and why did I expect Jonpim to mention pert bums... Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy