Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Venice airport to Cortina transfer

Poster: A snowHead
We are looking to have a few additional days at the beginning of march. Any recomendations for reliable transfers and/ or a car hire operator who fits winter tyres. Seems its summer tyres and chains for most of them, unlike Switzeralnd and Germany, and this is pretty useless as a combination in my opinion. Many thanks in anticipation
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was offered winter tyres by Hertz at Venice-Marco Polo 2 years ago, for a hefty surcharge, of course. So maybe you could pre-book with them.

I declined the option and just took a Focus SW with summer tyres & chains in the boot up to Alleghe. Didn't need them once, it did snow quite a bit even down to village level, but roads were kept clear and dry.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good to know re snow clearance Luigi, thanks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can get to Cortina by train or by bus (Cortana express)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lechbob wrote:

There's not been a railway line into Cortina in decades! I think about the furthest you can get to from Venice by rail is Belluno or possibly some small villages further North, but you'd still have to get a bus or taxi from there to Cortina. Cortina Express however do run a good transfer service from Venice Airport to Cortina.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
twoodwar wrote:
Good to know re snow clearance Luigi, thanks.

Cortina isn't a high resort, so snow doesn't hang around long on black tarmac, esp in March when the sun is really starting to strengthen.

You can't guarantee these things, but I don't reckon you'd have an issue with summer tyres.

You could always fly to Innsbruck and pick up a hire car there which according to Austrian law should have snow tyres.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink wrote:
Lechbob wrote:

There's not been a railway line into Cortina in decades! I think about the furthest you can get to from Venice by rail is Belluno or possibly some small villages further North, but you'd still have to get a bus or taxi from there to Cortina. Cortina Express however do run a good transfer service from Venice Airport to Cortina.

The course of the old railway line is now a long distance cycle path.

http://www.bicitalia.org/it/percorsi/112-pista-ciclabile-dobbiaco-cortina-calalzo-di-cadore

The railway from Venice now only goes as far as Calalzo di Cadore, but regular buses cover the last 35km up to Cortina.

http://www.cortina-tourism.com/en/how-to-get-to-cortina-d-ampezzo.html
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cortina might be rarely snowed-in but it can happen! Went for a weekend early March few years ago. A major snow event was expected, so I wanted chains + snow tires on the hire car (and fully expected to use them!). The guys at Europcar (I think) could give me either a car with winter tires but no chains or normal tires and chain...i think thats the law in Veneto...snow fell heavily as expected. Above knees in town...Epic days on the hill but total chaos in town with under equipped cars sliding everywhere...Tried to drive for 5mn with my winter tires, but quickly gave up. Parked alongside the main road for the night and walked to my accommodation 15mn walk uphill. Don’t really have a solution for you @twoodwar, other than watching the weather forecasts, maybe find an accommodation close to the main road.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am going to Cortina as well in March and have done some research for the transfer from Marco Polo

Option 1 is to take the bus. I think they need reservation in advance :
http://www.cortinaexpress.it/?lang=en

Option 2 is to get a private transfer. I have been in contact with Cortina taxi and the price each way is € 250.

Option 3 is to get a car. Problem with that is to get winter tyres in Marco Polo. Like said before, most likely you should be able to drive with summer tyres but it is not unlikely with snow in March and to be stuck in Cortina with summer tyres in winter condition is not what I would recommend to anybody
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Woosh wrote:
I am going to Cortina as well in March and have done some research for the transfer from Marco Polo

Option 2 is to get a private transfer. I have been in contact with Cortina taxi and the price each way is € 250.

I've used Venice cab for a transfer from Marco Polo to Colfosco and can recommend them. You'll see that for a one way transfer to Cortina (in a vehicle for up to 3 passengers) their price is only € 190. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cedrick wrote:
under equipped cars sliding everywhere...Tried to drive for 5mn with my winter tires, but quickly gave up.

So, if you had the car with summer tyres and fitted the chains when you hit the compacted snow you would have been OK?! Puzzled

A set of these in your suitcase might be a good option to get you out of a fix, or up a steep incline to your accommodation in the unlikely event of Snowmageddon in the Ampezzo valley:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Winter-Chains-Emergency-Anti-slip-195mm-255mm/dp/B077NC9BB5/ref=pd_sbs_263_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HC0H94V60XBQ8JJGDYN0&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all responses, and it seems it is a bit of an issue. I drove from Liverpool to Switzerland and toured last Feb as my retirement trip. 3 weeks, visiting a lot of resorts, my rear drive snowtyre equipped car handled everything beautifully. I did have chains, but did not need to use them. My confidence in snow tyres is high. I can only think that Cedrick was on old winter tyres or indeed cross climate, which are not in the same league for snow grip. I take the point that I probably wont need them, (as is often the case), but you really should have snow tyres AND chains as per Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
I will take my chances with a manual transmission chain equipped car.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rental car + snowchains.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’ve booked direct with Hertz online. Audi A4 AWD with winter tyres and chains (winterization pack). 8 days in Feb for £200 if you prepay which seemed pretty good to me. And it’s a big company with an office on the airport site so no bus to an offsite rental place. I looked at Winrent and the consolidators but that was pre-Xmas. When I got round to looking at it again their prices had gone right up.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Seems a good price. And well done if you get the car make and model they say you have booked but at least the winterisation pack should be provided even of they play switcharoo with the car.
ski holidays
Cheers what...snow. I looked at Hertz last night and am coming to the same conclusion
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy