Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski holiday advice - Christmas 2018

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are seriously considering a ski holiday over the festive period this year. Probably 6 keen skiers varying from timid (ish) intermediates up, 2 very keen walkers/xc skiers and possibly 2 non skiing (and fairly mobile but not active or adventurous) grandparents. We are looking for really nice catered chalet accommodation. All resorts considered - any strong suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have booked Ruka in Finland over Xmas 2018. Been twice before. Good downhill but not massive area good confidence builder. Fantastic x country skiing and a nice little town. Lots of non ski 'arctic activities' available too. Can get cold but snowsure. Lots of cottage accommodation available and only 15 mins from Kuusamo airport. Check out www.ruka.fi. Lufthansa now do flights via Frankfurt as well as Finnair via Helsinki.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi

We are also interested in this thread, we are a family of three intermediate skiers (the 6 year old being the fastest ?!), would like somewhere snowsure for Christmas so we can use minimal leave, used to staying in the PDS but don’t want to stay in Avoriaz so open to ideas or even teaming up with like minded families! ideas/suggestions for accommodation welcome including self catering location close to lift more important than * rating!

Will check out Finland but from memory not that easy to get to the resorts from Ireland without either 3 flights or many hours in the car.

Any and all suggestions welcome!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Courchevel 1850, La Plagne and Espace Killy are all worth a look.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Val d’isere. Excellent snow record at Xmas, lovely town for the non skiers, good walking trails and a plethora of lovely chalets. I’d recommend YSE in particular from personal experience but am sure other companies have similar offerings.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I expect the OP got no response for over a months because the remit is just too wide.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Binked wrote:
Hi

We are also interested in this thread, we are a family of three intermediate skiers (the 6 year old being the fastest ?!), would like somewhere snowsure for Christmas so we can use minimal leave, used to staying in the PDS but don’t want to stay in Avoriaz so open to ideas or even teaming up with like minded families! ideas/suggestions for accommodation welcome including self catering location close to lift more important than * rating!

Will check out Finland but from memory not that easy to get to the resorts from Ireland without either 3 flights or many hours in the car.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Les Coches. Access to skiing in the trees when the weather is bad and access to large intermediate ski area when the weather is good. Search for apartments through the official website to get apartment + lift pass deal.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks, this is helpful.

We have been to Tignes and have been considering this as an option but I prefer more trees! (helps with the fear of Heights). Also I think with the crazy six year old my personal experience with Tignes was it was very busy on the homeward runs and I had a few near misses so was worried for the tiny person. I know we cant avoid this as she is bonkers but we found PDS a bit safer in this respect and not sure if I am misremembering or not. Length of transfer was a reason we ended up going to PDS but it looks like our snowsure options are going to extend this anyway and she is a little older now.

I will keep researching but in the meantime if anyone has an accommodation suggestions in any of these resports please let me know. It is looking like Geneva airport is going to give us plenty of options at Christmas which is something I wanted to pin down for when the flights are released.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for those responding. Layne - I suppose I did leave a large remit...because we are truly open to suggestions. I can now narrow this down to nothing at a very high altitude as in-laws are a little worried about cold and altitude - however, I think their reluctance to consider this trip will probably scupper our plans to go away for Christmas this year sadly.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's another thread just started asking a similar question (http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=136322). I suggested the Portes du Soleil to that thread and you may want to consider there. I've skied the PdS a number of times at Christmas and it can be hit and miss but I've always been able to ski even if it was more in Avoriaz than anywhere else in the PdS. Lots to do for non-skiers, and very pretty at Christmas in particular.
I see you are in Cheshire, it's possible to get door to door via the Channel Tunnel in just under 13 hours if driving (I've done this quite a few times now) but a stopover in Reims makes it a relatively easy trip if you don't want to do it in a single run. On the other hand flights to Geneva and transport are quite easy to arrange and relatively cheap if booked early. Also, lots and lots of very nice accommodation is available but I'd start looking soon as Christmas gets booked up early.
Good luck
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy