Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Garmisch Partenkirchen advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I want to go to garmisch partenkirchen for a ski weekend, but I am not sure where to stay. Is there a few different towns?

Can anyone advise? I am just going for a weekend so would love to be able walk to a ski lift, and if it is near some fun apres ski then I am happy. Simple requirements really.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Garmisch and partenkirchen were two villages which have merged into one town with the railway station in the middle. The main town centre is a fair distance from any slopes. I've only been in summer, but I think there was some accommodation on the far partenkirchen side nearer the lifts - a set of sport appartments, I think. There may well be other options near other lifts. But I'd go for the town centre and then bus/ train to different areas as you want. I don't think the ski areas are as well connected as in some places. There are also some other towns up the train line towards the zugspitzebahn, but I can't remember any more than that.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@sunnek, there are two main lifts up into the 'classic' ski area, at Hausberg and Kreuzeck. Both served by bus from Garmisch and also by train. I dont know whether there is reasonable accomodation nearby, since I never stay overnight!
It's a good ski area for a couple of days. If high speed tanking is your thing then both the Kandahar down to Kreuzeck and the Hausberg valley run will suit you. I love them. Less off piste, or rather you do have to know where you are going if you don't want to go off a cliff.
Apres is not as wild as in Austrian resorts, though the bar at the base of Hausberg does get lively! Garmisch is not a village, so the whole atmosphere is different to your average Austrian resort, but for me that's part of the charm of the place.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sunnek, having done Garmisch for a weekend, and going again later this month for the races, here's my 2p. There are indeed a few different centres, Garmisch to the west of the river, Partenkirchen to the east, and Grainau, Hammersbach a bit further out. These latter 2 are smaller villages with more of a "family" atmosphere. There's also Eibsee that gives access to the Glacier at the Zugspitze but there's not much there. A trip up to the Glacier, weather permitting is an interesting diversion if you have the time.

Walking to a ski lift is pretty well a lost cause unless you stay in the Garmisch side closest to the Hausbergbahn, and even then you're looking at a fair hike. If you take advantage of the lockers in the ski school depot at the base station, then this could work as you'll be walking light to get there. Best option is to find a hotel/apartment close to one of the station-stops or a hotel that offers a shuttle service. Otherwise self drive. Although that is a bit of a faff every morning it worked for me and my son, we used the car park at the Kreuzeck lift which was quiet and takes you straight up to the Olympia/Kandahar runs (which you can ski down to rather than getting another lift up), They are both excellent runs, the most interesting on the mountain imho. You can access the rest of the "Classic" area from there easily too.

If that all sounds like a lost cause, the compensation is that you have some really good quality bars and restaurants to choose from in the evening, with most tastes catered for. Garmisch is a proper town rather than a chocolate box village or high Alpine French style wilderness, with all the pros-cons that entails. For me it was mainly pros, and we had a great weekend.

I'm doing a bit of research for my upcoming weekend so if you need anything specific ask away and I'll try and share. cheers
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sunnek, I agree with the comments above. I think Partenkirchen is prettier than Garmisch, but further from the lifts, but not the ski jump. There is an enormous American Forces Base locally which means the bars and clubs can be full of pi$$ed up GI Joes and all that entails, although I have been told the base is for families to holiday together and it certainly possible to find quieter bars and restaurants. Personally I found the skiing irritating and poorly connected. There is a chair lift that connects the two main areas and has enormous queues. I prefer to travel just over the border to Zermoos but there is enough skiing in Garmisch for a weekend just be prepared for queues and I think you will need to take a bus even to the Hausbergerbahn. Grainau is quieter but I liked it. The town(s) are beautiful even if there is now a Scottish restaurant in the centre! You will have a ball I am sure.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Snowsartre, not sure which connecting lift you mean. There used to be an ancient single chair which brought you over from the Hausberg to the Kreuzeck side, but this has been replaced by a heated four man chair since 2009. It's relatively rare to get bad queuing there these days. The only really stupid thing is the connection from Alpspitz back to Kreuzeck which still has a section of rope tow, but if it is crowded it's probably quicker to just walk up that short section.
All in all the lift system has been improved massively over the last 20 years.
One thing that you should note is that it can get badly crowded at weekends because the population of Munich ends up in Garmisch, or one of the other Bavarian resorts!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you all - this was really helpful......
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy