Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow tyres or chains will be mandatory in Haute-Savoie next winter

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
ski3 wrote:

It's so good in the video that even though the car is front wheel drive he was spraying it on the rear too, impressive stuff if it works just by being in the vicinity Toofy Grin

There are plenty of ways of increasing your chances of getting up the hill. You can spend hundred or thousands changing your tyres. Or you can spend hundreds on snowchains. Or a few quid on a spray. Spraying stuff on the non-driving wheels isn't a solution, whatever planet you come from.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Planet Ski are reporting that the law has not been enacted so there will be no change this season.
https://www.planetski.eu/news/12275?fbclid=IwAR2qD_nxilR7SvUkylPBMuqLRxEjChGjXLMo-l9VjoWWOlZ1vdg6ykKhtOw
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidayloverxx, had that not already been covered - or was that another thread?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I haven't seen it mentioned here before but for those unaware if you do get caught out in snow (mud or sand) and lose traction to the point where you are stuck and without snowchains, then lower your tyre pressure to about half of normal. It gives a larger gripping surface and will usually get you out of being stuck. Obviously inflate them back to normal ASAP afterwards. I have done this myself after getting my front wheel drive vehicle stuck in mud, worked a treat. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@king key, would you advice that for those that use low profile tyres?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@king key, When I rode motorcycle trials we ran the tyres at about 3 PSI to get maximum grip in mud. It gripped OK on snow but still squirmed around a lot and even then we had to pull them out of snow drifts occaisionally.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mooney058 wrote:
You choose, stay stuck or try a method that could get you out of a problem.

You could of course buy sensible wheels to start with. Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
king key wrote:
mooney058 wrote:
You choose, stay stuck or try a method that could get you out of problem. You could of course buy sensible wheels to start with. Smile

No problem for me, 60 profile tyres, full winters and 4wd. My question was what would be an effect of your advice to those who are now low profile tyres? Point being that there are variety of situations and no universal advice/wisdom except of having suitable equipment.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lowering the tyre pressure on a low profile would also work, maybe not as well, however you would also run a higher risk of damaging a rim or tyre. However, the whole point is that if you stuck (say in a frozen over car park or non-gritted area) and you want the car to move under it's own steam to a new position where you re-inflate the tyre then it can work. I'm not suggesting you drive down the road with under inflated tyres. Also less likely to be of benefit to a person with run flats.
My suggestion is merely to help get someone out of being utterly stuck, no more, no less.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@holidayloverxx, had that not already been covered - or was that another thread?

Might have been another thread. I didn't think I had seen it before
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
king key wrote:
Lowering the tyre pressure on a low profile would also work, maybe not as well, however you would also run a higher risk of damaging a rim or tyre. However, the whole point is that if you stuck (say in a frozen over car park or non-gritted area) and you want the car to move under it's own steam to a new position where you re-inflate the tyre then it can work. I'm not suggesting you drive down the road with under inflated tyres. Also less likely to be of benefit to a person with run flats.
My suggestion is merely to help get someone out of being utterly stuck, no more, no less.

All perfectly true, the higher inflated pressure for normal / general use is to control tyre deformation at the loading and maximum speed specified in the tyre's rating. Practical lower limit of 20 psi will keep the tyre properly seated on the wheel rim but allow the whole carcass and tread to flex, giving benefit to traction and steering on low grip surface.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Could work on sand dunes or a mud pit but not in a given example of a frozen over car park.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy