Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot Alignment & the Campbell Dynamic Ski Balancer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
skimottaret, sounds very similar to my experience with Andy. I started out quite sceptical but could really feel the difference when flexing my ankle on his machine. Ended up with a 3 degree shim on each foot and 4mm heel lifts.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
spyderjon, Wakey, Wakey.

Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, did you do the heel lifts last? we did all the fore aft stuff standing on the footbeds and I was a neutral. then all of sudden i need 6 mm lift...

have you had a proper ski with your new setup yet? did the imrovements in feel transfer onto snow?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, sounds liek you need to go for a ski Toofy Grin any excuse
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, Were I really noticed the difference of zero angle was in soft snow/powder as previously I'd get that 'over the handlebars' unbalanced feeling. I actually balanced best with my toes 1mm higher than the heel pieces & that's how I've set up the bindings on both of pairs of FR's.

AFAIK theses are the manufactures current set-up's:
Marker Duke & Jester(?) 0mm
Atomic +2mm
Salomon +2mm
Fischer/Tyrolia +3mm
Look/Rossi, Marker & VIST + 5mm

The thickness of the ski at the mounting points needs to factored in as it will also make a difference to the heights, eg on my FR's the ski is thinner by 1mm under the heel piece than under the toe piece so I've got 7mm under my Vist toe pieces to give me a nett height of +1mm under the toe. Don't forget you'll need long screws.

I haven't got round to adjusting the Speedlocks on my piste skis but it looks like the easiest way will be to shim between the plate & the ski (the easiest to do being the TT plate) providing Vist offer some longer plate mounting screws. It's also possible to shim between the binding & the plate but you probably couldn't add more than a couple of mm.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 17-06-08 9:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret, i should clarify, and i think you sumed it up yourself, the lift inside the boot changes the relationship between the foot and the ankle and allows more flexion lifting the toes of the boot in the binding repostions the starting point for that flexion

does that make sense Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, I've always skied with heel lifts, so we did the process with them.

I did feel a difference when on snow. It was fairly subtle and I could feel it only when skiing smooth, firm piste, but I found that the change in the lateral balance made it easier to engage the little-toe edge of my inner ski.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM, skiing tonight in the fridge but not sure that counts... I think i get it, it was just a little odd to do all the balance stuff just on the footbeds and then once back in boots find i need a heel lift but i can see the logic that the inside heel lifts put the ankle joint in a better position..

rob@rar, thanks, was just curious as the static dry land movement was so much improved was wondering if that held during skiing. My guess was some but not a huge amount.

spyderjon, that ties up with what i felt on my Karmas and interesting if they turn out to be 5 mm high perhaps that is why i didnt get on with them so well..
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, thanks, was just curious as the static dry land movement was so much improved was wondering if that held during skiing. My guess was some but not a huge amount.

I think with all this kind of stuff (boot alignment, setting ski edges, ramp angles and the like) you are very much fine tuning the process rather than making huge changes. Most of the time I'm not aware of small changes to my alignment because I'm 100% focused on the big things like what line should I take, how do I avoid wiping out, etc. But when I do remove some of those major issues (e.g. skiing on a uniform, hard piste) I am able to tell the difference between various edge angles, boot setups and similar fine tuning aspects of my skiing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, you may notice a bit more difference than Rob, but possibly only because you are tall, your longer levers mean that a slight difference in the boot will make a greater difference by the time it reaches your knee or hip

time will tell
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For me, I notice the difference even more in soft snow as there is less feedback on what my skis are doing.

There was a discussion recently on Epicski suggesting ways of making instructors more aware of what it feels like to try to ski when out of alignment. I suggested earlier this season that we should build something similar into our race coach system, but I don't know if anything will happen.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rjs, something we are working on right now, hopefully in the near future we will have 4 pairs of identical skis with different set ups for peopel to play on, not a case of getting everyone perfect but a great way of making them aware of what happens when.....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hmmmm..very interesting........should I bring my skis along tomorrow CEM?

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, got the machine in store but no wedges here, Andi will be back in next month

so no need for the skis
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy