Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl for Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just had a fantastic week here - 4 bluebird days and 2 days of snowfall but luckily there is very good tree skiing available in the Steinmann woods. Stayed at the Edelweiss & Gurgl Hotel which is literally right beside a chair and a gondola - think it must hold the record for closeness! Sampled a few mountain restaurants and can recommend the Top Hotel in Hochgurgl, the Hohe Mut Alm in Obergurgl and for a little adventure make sure you go to the Schonweishutte in Obergurgl - you get towed up to the restaurant by a skidoo and then have a wonderful easy ski back off piste through the woods - a must and the kaiserschmarron is absolutely the best - we decided to share one but had to go back for another!! Also try to get a table for a fondue on Wednesday evenings in the Hohe Mut Alm - as you alight the gondola you are greeted with a red carpet and a hot gluewein, followed by a delicious dinner and dancing if you feel inclined plus a very happy ride home.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am a fan of Obergurgl. I am there next week. I have skied there in the third week of November for each of the last three seasons before this - and been able to ski right down to the village each time. I don't know of a more snowsure non-glacial resort. A few years ago I stayed at the Top Hotel - v good, if expensive. Wonderful terrace when it is sunny. More recently I tend to stay in places at the southern end of Obergurgl, but I never have to walk more than 2 mins to the piste. The apres at the Nederhute is a hoot (and so is the run back afterwards ...). I appreciate the scarcity of lift queues and yobs.
snow conditions
 fizzer
fizzer
Thanks for the report. We have been looking at Obergurgl for Christmas 2018. Two adults one child all competent piste skiers. Will also be taking grandma & grandad both non skiers.

My question is: how is the resort for non skiers?

Cheers
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not the best, frankly.

The village is small (and fairly cute, at least at southern end) but the corollary is that there isn't a great deal of non-skier stuff to do. If they can get about OK, they could get the gondola up to the Hohe Mutt Alm for lunch (or dinner on Weds, when the lift is free in the evening) and there are some nice walks into the forest. David's Hut and the Nederhutte are both walkable for lunch, although again that depends on your folk having good mobility. Also, they could get the Festkogl gondala up to the did night-time display and fireworks etc on Tuesday nights. And of course Innsbruck is just 1 hour 20 mins away (shuttle service or bus) so that's a possibility for a day trip.

Obergurgl is probably not a good place for elderly folk with limited mobility, however - not least because it usually has resort-level snow.
ski holidays
 fizzer
fizzer
Thanks. Mobility not a problem. Might be a goer then.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There is also a 3 km toboggan run (mind you, my wife reckons she knackered her back on it - nowt to do with going too fast and a surfeit of gluhwein, of course.) Open daily and also twice a week at night.

Incidentally, the night skiing is great; 8 kms of well-lit, perfectly groomed blue run right back to the village. Or a steeper, shorter red run from Hochgurgl to Pill.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are some lovely winter walks on prepared paths and non-skiers can access the mountain on several lifts and gondolas to meet the family for lunch. Also a big icerink with curling. Lots of hotels have pools and spas too. Horse riding is also possible. Happy holidays.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy