Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dry Slopes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am going away in Feb and have a few dry slopes near me, but am 3 hours away from any indoor slopes. I have looked at Plymouth dry slope but can see any reviews from within the last year. I am also close to Bristol. Can anybody recommend a good dry slope near by or used one? or is it worth biting the bullet and driving a 6 hour round trip for 2 hours on an indoor slope?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @sutty14uk,
FWIW My wife and children had a fun session of learning to snowboard at the Plymouth slope in August. They found it all running fairly smoothly and thought that it was underused. I'm not sure if that still applies, now that the season is underway.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been doing a 4 hour trip from Essex to Milton Keynes for SWMBO's ski lessons, but I think it's worth it. I'd do the indoor snow dome first, then try out the dry slope, so you can decide for yourself @sutty14uk.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're near Bristol the obvious dry slope choice is Gloucester, otherwise Churchill or Pontypool.

I learnt at Pontypool years ago but haven't been for a long time, so guess Gloucester is your best bet.

If you're happy with dry-slope skiing they're an excellent place to learn/practice
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Geoffers, is the Gloucester slope any good?
I have been to Tamworth and MK domes but never ski’d on dry slopes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sutty14uk wrote:
Geoffers, is the Gloucester slope any good?
I have been to Tamworth and MK domes but never ski’d on dry slopes.

its probably one of the better dry slopes TBH
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes Gloucester is one of the better dry slopes in the country. While skiing at an indoor snow slope has some advantages, if you're having to travel for three hours to get there you'll be much better offer spending that travel time skiing on a dry slope.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sutty14uk, sorry - didn't spot your post count: it's traditional here to welcome new peeps to the madhouse called Snowheads, so _welcome_ snowHead

As others have said - Gloucester is one of the best, and it can be sublime if you're lucky to get some of the white stuff too: one of my best memories was skiing off-piste under a full moon on the adjacent golf-course in the winter of 1981/2

Dendix etc slopes are a great surface to learn on - have a look at where Dave Ryding trained and see where it got him.

However there are a few caveats...
    If you've only skiid on snow it can seem quite difficult at first, as it's less forgiving to ski on but is worth persevering with
    Best skiid on a miserable wet day for least friction - Gloucester does have a misting system which helps
    It can hurt a bit if you fall, so some tough old overtrousers are a must and be prepared for some bruises on your ar$e
    Watch out for your thumbs if you fall - easy to catch them in the matting (google Dendix thumb). One theory (which I never tried) is to sew the thumb & finger of your gloves together, so you can still grip a pole but can't catch your thumb
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I learnt how to ski on snow but how to really ski on plastic. i was in a ski race club. it produced some really good skiers.
I'd prefer plastic on a damp cold day to a fridge. it's cheaper less crowded and you get back up to the top quicker
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy