Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Men's Moguls

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure there must be a thread on this but I can't see it...

Excellent stuff to watch. I thought the Finnish guy who got silver was a little unlucky - his run was breathtaking.

Also felt a little sorry for the 18-year-old Canadian lad who pulled a wonderful 1080 thingy off the last jump but didn't completely nail the landing. It seems that any slight mistakes really gets punished, which is a bit of a shame since this probably discourages the guys to really go for something special.

Great stuff anyway. Starting to feel happy that I'm unemployed at the moment!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I thought that they deserved naming considering the entertainment they provided:

Finnish guy = Mikko Ronkainen
Canadian lad = Alexandre Bilodeau

Thanks guys Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm hoping to catch a replay..... as I didn't see it all but what a finish.. last guy down wins it!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just wish I had the time to do articles on the nordic and freestyle events as well at MySnowSports Sad .... yes great TV, the kids - straightforward middle-of-the-road alpine skiers - were glued to it last night.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This sport looks really difficult, is this the toughest skiing competition out there? Their speed through the moguls in incredible. It also seems to destroy their knees, that can't be good in later life. What about the American who is going on to play pro NFL, that's a unusual combination of sports. No Austrians in the final, does anyone know the reason for this?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
alan empty, agree. The 'Canadian turned Aussie' eventual winner was also a little more conservative going for a plain backflip (what the ladies were doing!) off his 1st jump. The result in the womens was similar where I felt that the eventual winner was also more conservative in her approach to Miss Traa (I think she just did a 'simple' side-to-side twist on the 2nd aerial?). Reading up on it, it says that their aerial score is multiplied by the level of difficulty? Seems as though the distinction in the level of difficulty must be minimal compared to the distinction in marks between nailing it and not.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was well-impressed by the stance of the gold medallist. His upper body just didn't seem to move - it was all coming from the hips (I know that's the idea Wink ) Amazing stuff.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alan empty, I agree, Ronkainen's run looked more exciting and (as far as I can tell as a non-freestyler) more risky than Begg-Smith's. But Begg-Smith was super-smooth. It will be interesting to get my friend Hugh Hutchison's opinion when I see him in a couple of weeks. Hugh is Britain's most successful mogul skier to date (competed in 92 and 94).
In the end, you can debate it all day - the drawbacks of a judged sport...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Martin Bell wrote:
In the end, you can debate it all day - the drawbacks of a judged sport...

Martin, yeah, I guess it could be seen as a drawback. On the other hand, most of us on here would probably see a chance at debating something all day as a positive!!

I'd be very interested to see what Hugh thinks.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does any website have the final available to download??
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gregh, Begg Smith's run is available on the BBC website - but none of the other runs.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
www.eurosport.com has a few minutes footage for most events.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you want to debate the runs then go look at them again from the same angle as the judges see them - www.skidebosses.com is a site run by the French Team Coach and has video looking from the bottom. Then have a look at www.fis-ski.com and see the way the judges actually scored them. To try and answer some of the points above:

Dale vs. Mikko: http://www.fis-ski.com/pdf/2006/FS/8092/8092FRL.pdf
Mikko had a split on landing the top jump and didn't keep contact with the snow as well as Dale in the middle section so Dale scored 14.5 from the turns judges against Mikko's 13.6 (out of 15). The jumps judges scored the Dale's and Mikko's bottom jumps identically. The top jumps were scored almost identical on execution but as Mikko's is harder he ends up slightly with 0.5 more air points. If you look at the height Dale had and the size of the cross in the backflip then you can't argue that he should have scored anything less. Mikko was a touch faster giving him 0.3 more speed points. End result, Dale's turns took it and I agree. Mikko's was a really good run though.

Jenn vs. Kari: http://www.fis-ski.com/pdf/2006/FS/8089/8089FRL.pdf
Kari's top jump drifts to her left and she lands with her skis aiming right to bring her back into the line. The drift is energy that should have gone into giving her more height so she only scored 1.9 out of 2.5 for execution for this jump. Jenn's top jump was a simple but well executed 360, body totally straight. On the bottom jump both girls did the same jump but Jenn gets a bigger cross, although she only got marginally higher points. So Jenn up 0.27 on air. Jenn's turns after the top jump were more dynamic than Kari's. Kari lost speed because of her drift and then next couple of turns suffered. As a result Jenn got 0.4 more turns points and 0.18 more speed points. So Jenn won on all 3 aspects.

Alex: Alex is doing some amazing jumps. If you think they're good on TV then try seeing them from about 2 feet away. One to watch for 2010. Just needs to get a bit more consistent on the steeper courses.

I had money on Jenn, Dale and Alex as I new what they had been like this winter. I have actually been sharing Jenn's coach since Dec 2004 but Kari is a friend too (I predicted her to win in 2002 which is why I actually did put money on this time) so I don't think I'm too biased. I had considered backing Mikko but his form had been a bit off until he laid that run down when it counted.

Simon Bates
British Moguls Team (although Snowsport GB would rather I quit but that's a different story)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
simon_bates, Simon, welcome to SnowHeads! And, thanks for your analysis. I think, IMHO, that it illustrates why many SHs were perplexed with some of the results. As a competent recreational skier watching the events from a TV screen, the judging criteria is neither intuitive, obvious nor visible.

I (personally) consider bumps to be the epitome of competitive skiing, but if the mass media broadcast of such a top sport can't be optimised beyond this, I hold little hope...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
simon_bates, Welcome to Snowheads - Great to have another top competitor as a member. (you may know a certain Mr Bell is a regular poster). Do the jumps score on a degree of difficulty basis? From the spectator point of view a rodeo (or any other invert) is much more impressive, even if the landing isn't perfect, than the best executed 360. I think it's amazing that anyone can go inverted and then continue to ski moguls!!!
snow report
simon_bates, great interview on Today programme this morning (see their listen again bit chaps to hear it). Keep up the good work. Shame the interviewer (was it John Humpheries, I wasn't paying much attention to him) referred to moguls as bumps covered with snow!
latest report
stevew, I also thought Simon did well in the interview. Can't be a pleasant thought, having to go up against John Humphries first thing in the morning!

Welcome to snowheads simon_bates. Always good to have world class skiers contribute around here Smile
latest report
Welcome to snowHeads, simon_bates snowHead
snow report
simon_bates, do the judges have the benefit of slo-mo video to spot all these things happening. With my inexperienced eye (and watching on the TV rather than from the bottom of the run) all the points you listed happened way too quick for me to see.
ski holidays
Another welcome - and I also listened to the R4 Interview. Good stuff and well put. As was Eddie Edwards contribution the day before.

If you are the best in the country and meet the IOC criteria, you should be allowed to compete. Simple. Funding (or the lack of it...) is another story. This idea of the powers that be backing significantly only successful sports/athletes seems grossly unfair to me and does nothing to encourage new entrants.
latest report
simon_bates, heard you on Today today! Great interview. Must've been difficult to hold back all you wanted to say and nerve wracking at the same time, but you kept your cool, so well done. The way I read it, it's about funding, but if we're serious about encouraging the talent we have in this country, as others here have already said, you're our best and you met the IOC standard and no question that you should've been there for us. And another warm Welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead from me too.
snow report
b]simon_bates[/b], welcome to snowheads, What is the funding issue Puzzled
ski holidays
stevew wrote:
Shame the interviewer (was it John Humpheries, I wasn't paying much attention to him) referred to moguls as bumps covered with snow!

Why? Isn't that what they are?
ski holidays
Quote:

If you are the best in the country and meet the IOC criteria, you should be allowed to compete. Simple.

Freestyle is not the only skiing event with qualification problems ( to say nothing of lack of funding!). Have a look at this article on the lack of British nordic competitors at the Torino olympics http://www.rollerski.co.uk/nx014.html .

Selected quotes.

"According to Simon Heard, one of the UK’s top cross-country skiers and, like Alan Eason, a former winner of the UK 15k classic British Championships race, the qualifying standards set by the BOA are absurd. ‘If the US set the same qualifying standards, only 3 out of 4 of their relay team would qualify. In British cross-country we stand no chance’. When talking to cross-country skiers from other countries Simon has been met with disbelief at the high British standards."

"Such tough conditions, and the lack of Olympic prospects, make cross-country skiing an uninviting proposition for aspiring elite athletes. If it wasn’t for the expectation of the same tough qualifying criteria for Vancouver in 2010, Heard, 26, would almost certainly continue training for cross-country ski racing. As it is, he plans to retire from competition after this season, and start training as a teacher in his home county of Devon. ‘There simply isn’t any point in continuing if the situation remains as it is.’ "

We have some really good juniors at the moment who are getting really good results, both nationally and internationally in their age groups impressing the likes of the Norwegians.

Dave
snow report
simon_bates, interesting deconstruction of the scoring - thanks.
I remember thinking at the time that the side-on tracking camera angle didn't give a very clear indication of the size of the bumps or of how well the skiers were handling them - must go down as a failure by the host broadcaster.
snow report
simon_bates, welcome to SnowHeads. I heard you this morning too. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
richmond, I'm not biting Very Happy
latest report
tell simon bates to go to australia.... worked for dale begg-smith Twisted Evil
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevew wrote:
richmond, I'm not biting Very Happy
Damn you, stevew.
ski holidays
Dale Begg-Smith skied beautifully to take gold. Unfortunately it now appears that his business practices have been rather less pretty:
http://www.theage.com.au/news/breaking/olympic-champ-made-big-bucks-in-popup-ads/2006/02/16/1140037817825.html
latest report
Martin Bell, Good article, but what made me laugh most was the the way that the reporting site, theage.com, uses a pop-under ad itself on the very page where it reports "Although they are a source of annoyance to web surfers ...." Laughing
ski holidays
Patch, yes, I hadn't noticed because my computer had blocked it. "Do as I say, not as I do" from The Age!
snow report
easiski wrote:
simon_bates, Welcome to Snowheads - Great to have another top competitor as a member. (you may know a certain Mr Bell is a regular poster). Do the jumps score on a degree of difficulty basis? From the spectator point of view a rodeo (or any other invert) is much more impressive, even if the landing isn't perfect, than the best executed 360. I think it's amazing that anyone can go inverted and then continue to ski moguls!!!

For the women a 360 or backflip has difficulty of 1.390, off-axis 720 has 1.650. Form is out of 2.5, Jenn got 2.4x1.390=3.336, Kari got 1.9x1.650=3.135 for the first jumps. Jenn could have gone for harder tricks but she was going with the run that would get the most points.

The way it works out is that whatever you are doing, it must be clean. You'll have seen the same thing in the aerials. Going for harder tricks only works out if you nail it. And that's exactly what Alex did for his first World Cup win in Mont Gabriel but that was a flatter course.

One reason for the form being so strict is that it helps to keep things safer. If there were more points for hucking then there would be even more injuries. It's a tough enough sport as it is.
snow report
simon_bates, Thanks.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy