Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Replacement for my X-Screams

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My beloved X-Screams have finally reached the end of their days and I need to replace them. Have been very happy with them. Would like to pick the snow head brain for any suggestions as to the nearest replacement. I am 61 yrs old 6 foot tall and weigh 190 lbs and am a goodish skier, but only get to do 2-3 weeks a year. Any advice gratefully received

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Doctorron, ski shapes have moved on somewhat! What sort of skiing are you doing?

Maybe wirth looking at something like the Blizzard Brahma?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anything!

Noah came down off of Mount Ararat on a pair of Xscreams! Razz
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Doctorron, I'd agree with under a new name, regarding ski shapes and to look at your usage.
The Brahma is worth a look , or any of Volkl RTM range.

I used to ski on xscreams, and shifted to some Volkls.
Mollerski, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mine died about 5 years ago. Replaced them with Dynastar Sultans, but I've purchased a few more since Embarassed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mollerski wrote:

Noah came down off of Mount Ararat on a pair of Xscreams! Razz

I thought he used Rossignol ROC 550
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It must be great to have a proper excuse to get a new pair of skis Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Doctorron, if you're X Screams have only just reached the end of their lives why buy?

If you're set on buying then before you do hire some and see which suit you then buy those.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for that so far snowheads.

This is the original review and why I bought them http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/skiing/skiing-which-skis-to-buy-739199.html makes interesting reading 18 years on but as underanewname says things have moved on; hence my post!

I will certainly try before I buy, but thought I might get a starting point or some useful pointers from this site.

To answer the question as to what sort of skiing; more on piste than off now a days so I am looking for an all mountain rather than freeride, but like fast carving on piste and for last few trips have been actively seeking out the moguls to improve on them, which is another reason to change, as I find screams not so good in the mogul.

As for a excuse, my wife keeps horses so skis are cheap at the price! Incidentally that wouldn't be Dr RF Lawn, Physics, Cambridge 1974, would it!?

The Volkls might do so thanks for that; on my to try list.

Any more suggestions?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had a pair of X-Screams Series...and liked them. As a Freeride ski in their day, they were light, fun, playful,versatile and reasonably stable.

I would suggest you put 2 skis on your list to check out (that could be seen as the modern equivalent):

Scott The Ski / Slight

Atomic Vantage 90 Cti

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 2-01-18 12:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Doctorron, hmmm. I think the modern equivalent is going to be around 80mm underfoot with around a 16m radius. Volkls are almost always a good shout. I like my Blizzards. Head Supershapes get well reviewed.

But, really, what you are going to find is that if you are in the marketeer's "advanced to expert" category, which you are, it's hard to find a bad ski.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@Doctorron, hmmm. I think the modern equivalent is going to be around 80mm underfoot with around a 16m radius. Volkls are almost always a good shout. I like my Blizzards. Head Supershapes get well reviewed.

But, really, what you are going to find is that if you are in the marketeer's "advanced to expert" category, which you are, it's hard to find a bad ski.

I suppose it depends whether you want to:
a) Get dimensions as close to the X Screams as possible
or
b) Given the X Screams were designed for both On and Off piste (ie. All Mountain)...then give the modern equivalent of that. IIRC. They were marketed as a Freeride Ski.

I went for (b).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have the vantage 90cti and it’s a great ski on piste bar hard boilerplate though may be my technique. That said I tend to have a narrower ski in my ski bag any way. If i had one ski only I could happily ski on this ski all the time. There is a slightly narrower 85 waist version.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Old Fartbag,
or c) get something ideal for the sort of skiing he does today?
I think Head supershapes, Volkl RTMs would be a good place to start but I'd also try something a bit wider but still with sidecut Rossi sky 7, Cham series, etc to see what the fuss is about.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I love my Blizzard Brahmas - bought them last year and have done a couple of weeks on them. Really versatile, great on-piste and more than capable off, surprisingly easy to ski and great at speed. I'm 5ft 8 - 160lbs and ski the 173 comfortably.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy