Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada - not Banff or Whistler?

Poster: A snowHead
I've been to Banff four (five?) times - loved it, the whole package of skiing, friendly service, the town etc. Took family (wife, two daughters aged 9 and 12) once before, two years ago; am hoping to take them again this Easter. We only go at Easter as it's two weeks of school holidays and Christmas would be too cold. Normally we go to Europe (Andorra) but I want to make Canada this year as Easter is early, and it won't be for the next few years I believe. We'll do about 9 days skiing, we are all more or less intermediates. We are not great Apres people but walking around Banff in the evening and at the weekend is pleasant enough.

I haven't yet booked plane tickets (from Lisbon, they would just be scheduled flights to Calgary) but have booked a hotel in Banff, on a booking with free cancellation before March.

I would still like good lessons for the girls, and probably some privates for me. Wife has little interest in lessons and loves the free Ski Friends service at Louise/Sunshine for relaxed guided skiing.

Would we be happy at any of the other resorts of similar size? I can see Kicking Horse/Golden, Panorama, possibly Jasper/Marmot; maybe Sun Peaks or Silver Star if we can be convinced to take an extra plane after Calgary. Never looked at any of them as I was happy in Banff. Right now I don't look at others (Whistler, Big White etc) as snow is not looking brilliant this year.

I had heard that most of those were more resorts for a few days than two weeks' all round experience, and I'm not interested in loading everyone into a car every morning for just a few days at one resort.

Any comments? Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Right now I don't look at others (Whistler, Big White etc) as snow is not looking brilliant this year.

Whistler and big white have 190cm and 166cm bases already! Its been a good start to the season, and with 3 months to go before you fly out there's no reason to think snow won't be good in either place.

Other than whistler you won't find a ski area that competes with the combination of lake Louise and sunshine for size. Sun peaks is about the same size as lake Louise but you don't have the advantage of having a second option nearby (I.e. sunshine). The other places you mentioned are all smaller than sunshine. Obviously skiable area doesn't translate exactly to how much skiing there is, but yes if you plan on only skiing pistes some of those resorts may be a little repetitive over 9 days.

Quote:
I'm not interested in loading everyone into a car every morning for just a few days at one resort

I get the not wanting to spend time in transport thing. Although I think you will probably cover more time in transport driving to and from lake Louise from Banff each day than you would on a decently planned road trip (e.g. Calgary - panorama - Kimberley - fernie - calgary).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It is such a shame the distances are so great, but thats Canada for you.

Perhaps the way to do it is fly into Vancouver and out of Calgary.
So you could kick off at Whistler (I've never skied there) and if the conditions are not so good move onto Revelstoke (its only good for a couple of days, but the ski school and guiding are excellent)

Then onto Kicking horse for another couple of days.
(similar set up to Revelstoke)

The good thing is the hotels in Canada are very flexible about booking so it makes trips like this become possible.

So you can spend a few days at The Lake you are familiar with.

Then back to Sunshine and Banff.

Sound like a great few days.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Food for thought thanks Smile but I think a new hotel every few nights is not a goer with my family; all that packing and repacking...

A supplementary question: how do you Europeans communicate in Canada? Mobile phone with some sort of roaming/Whatsapp, or walkie talkies? I have two for Europe but I read the frequencies are different in Canada so I can't use them.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At resorts (but not in the back country) mobile coverage is available, plus most places have free wifi if (like me) you're too tight fisted to pay roaming charges (sadly no EU rules here).

Radios... the $20 Chinese radios are fully programmable so you can legally buy them and then set them up to work legally in both EU and the Americas, although some skill is required to set them up. Once you have the channels for each area programmed they're good to go anywhere.

Snow-wise, there's less in BC than the last two seasons, but there's still plenty. If you're an expert looking for over the head powder everyday then you'd have been better off last season, but for intermediates I doubt you'd have any concerns right now, and certainly not once the rest of the season's snow falls. Out here (near Valemont) we had some wind-affected last week, but we're not riding on about 40cm fresh on top of that so it's all good.

Whistler is probably the only place which compares in scale to Banff, in terms of people who want to go to one place and stay there. The other places mentioned are in my view much more interesting, but fail to meet your "no movement" requirement. I'd look hard at that. Take less gear, make travel an adventure, hire a decent sized vehicle and risk your life in the real Canada. Real towns like Kelowna are nothing like the Disneyland of Whistler and Banff. Pack for travel: less is more.

Ski-school wise, it's Canada so expect excellence in customer service.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Your right @Orange200, its just too much traveling to be relaxing.

Your second question is quite interesting, I wish I knew the answer.

I found that there was a problem with networks compatibility between Alberta and British Colombia. I would not worry too much about the frequencies of your walkie talkies. They are up in the 400Mhz region so as long as your not in town you wont be interfering with anybody.

Things could have improved a lot since I was last there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kicking horse and revelstoke are not really places I would recommend for intermediate skiiers.

If op wants 9 days of intermediate skiing without too much repetition and is not willing to travel around whistler and Banff are the only real options.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sun Peaks closing day 15th April, Silver Star, Big White, Panorama all close on the 8th April.
I don't know when the other resorts close down. The extra 50min flights are worth it there are shuttles from the airports you can book in advance via resort web sites, these meet flights take you to the building your in via key pickups and check in desks.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Orange200, Confused with the title - what is wrong with Whistler exactly?

Took ours there numerous times and loved it. Much easier than Banff as it is walkable (from just about) everywhere to the lifts. Ski school is brilliant for the kids.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jake43, I've just heard too many stories about rain (it is coastal) for me to want to risk my only ski holiday flying over from Europe with family at quite some expense. If I was going in February, maybe, but not April.

@philwig, was not aware about that with the radios. Might look at it. When I did last time, it seemed non-licensed radios were on one frequency in Europe and a different one in NA, with the implication one would really irritate the authorities (or emergency services) if the wrong one was used. I'm too polite to use a licensed one without a licence.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Orange200, I am bemused about the rain thing too. We went mainly Easter (kids holidays too) which obviously float around over March/April and have never had rain on the mountain (10 visits). Yes we have had it in the Village and a ski out would be slushy but on the hill it was always snow. Poor visibility sometimes but really struggle to understand the "gamble - it may rain" worry. @philwig, is local and maybe can define the actual stats?
Yes they have had a warm spell this year (daughter works there now) but a few days out of the 7 weeks of being open with loads of snow and a huge base now.
They ski on Blackcomb into May so there is no worry about snow in April - there will be plenty. Many years we went on the Whistler closing week and it was brilliant - except for the ski out. So down load or except slushy afternoon. You do not ski the lower bits any other time other than getting off the hill, and you can always download from mid station if you prefer.
I see there are no direct flights for you so that is more hassle in my view but I would suggest you don't rule it out.

Phones just work over there if you have a newish one. Nokia3310 3g does not, as it needs 850mhz/1900mhz grrrrr.
If you put the kids in Ski School they get a Flak tag and you can follow them round the mountain if you want on your phone.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I’ve had rain on the mountain at whistler, I wouldn’t return as it put me off. Much prefer Banff
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’ve had rain on the mountain at Whistler and it didn't put me off. I like Banff too, but Whistler provides everything in one place.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi, I just wanted to pop my head in here. I'm an American, but I usually tend to head north on holidays, so have skied most of Western British Columbia. We're used to our relatively small local places (the biggest place we ski often is less than a fourth the size of Whistler), so while I know someone who's used to skiing europe can't relate as much to us, but we're fine skiing good terrain and long runs multiple times, as long as we have a big mountain to explore and still have variety. I personally wouldn't recommend Whistler, as the proximity to the coast can bring rain (it's really just if you're lucky), and even when it does snow, it's the worst quality snow in Western Canada IMO. It's plagued by lift queues (though the new owner, the largest ski resort company in North America Vail Resorts is planning improvements to infrastructure they won't be until next year) throughout the year, and isn't very authentic or charming of a village. Also, while it's big, it's not as big as european places, so you can't expect to do different runs for a whole week. The other main option outside of the general Banff area (Fernie, Kicking Horse, Sunshine, Lk Louise) is the BC Interior, which has some smaller, but very nice resorts. The three main choices are: Silver Star, Big White and Sun Peaks. Sun Peaks is by far the largest, and my personal favorite. It has a very charming and (compared to the other two) reasonably sized village and outside of the village offers some great ski in/out condos across the valley (the village is built on a very gentle slope so that it is ski in/out for all accomadation and all difficulty levels). The village can be a bit quiet, but you seem like you won't be doing too much apres. Also, Sun Peaks offers free guided tours of the mountains with the 'Sun Hosts' program for all difficulty levels twice daily which seems to fit the 'Ski Friends' program you were talking about. The lessons have been great in my experience, and the locals are quite nice. Also, if you (like part of my group) prefer the Canadian ski culture to American, Sun Peaks is very Canadian, until recently it was mostly a holiday destination for Canadians only (now Americans, Australians and British are making their way in). You'd likely want to merge it with a trip somewhere else, but it is "The second biggest ski resort in Canada" . There are direct flights from Calgary to Kamloops, a 45 minute drive or so with shuttle service (though you'd probably rent a car if switching places once or twice). If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, I don't know everything about it, but I just spent a Christmas there, so have a fresh memory. Others will know more about Silver Star and Big White, I've have limited and old experience with them.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@KeetnaWilson, many thanks. I was not aware of Sun Peaks at all, and having just looked at it it looks really interesting, but for two things:
1. so little accom in the village that it's nearly all gone now - I just found 1 and only one suite available (two separate rooms), for 30% more than in Banff, which I can't reserve cancellable (booking.com). I should have looked a couple of months ago maybe
2. the village is SMALL. Will we stay sane there for two weeks? I really wouldn't want to rent a car if I can avoid it. Or is there somewhere larger just off the map, a 15 min drive away?
latest report
Orange200, No , Kamloops is a good 30 - 40 min drive. We stayed there last year as didn't want to be stuck at Sun Peaks - but were only there for 2 days Smile
They don't get the amount of snow that others get, but the quality is better than some. Its worth a look but wouldn't want to be there for too long - 2nd largest resort in CA.
snow report
Quote:

I personally wouldn't recommend Whistler, as the proximity to the coast can bring rain (it's really just if you're lucky)

Whistler rain is so over done. You make it sound like it rains every week. Most of the time it snows, even at village level. When it does rain in the village its nearly always snowing on the mountain.

Quote:

Also, while it's big, it's not as big as european places, so you can't expect to do different runs for a whole week.

I was still discovering new places after 3 months there. There are over 200 marked trails - which should be more than enough to keep anyone busy for a week. That's before you start including all the non marked trails, and different lines down bowls/tree runs.
snow report
@boarder2020, I'm not saying it snows every week, I'm saying that if you're unlucky your entire holiday could be ruined. This isn't the best season for BC we keep get high pressure and inversions which push away the big storms and allow little storms that can bring rain up high. I'm not saying it's common, but I wouldn't depend on Whistler in April. Also, intermediates used to European pistes won't be skiing any bowls, trees and areas similar. I agree that Whistler can be an advanced skiers paradise, but too often in my experience intermediate terrain has just involved crowded limited slopes, with the bulk of skiing off-piste advanced or beginner. I've never really been able to explore Whistler as much as I've hoped, as I'm stuck travelling only in crowded holiday periods, so you'll probably be better for advice if they do go, but as someone who lives a reasonable drive away I've never really preferred it.
ski holidays
@Orange200, 1. That is unfortunate. Maybe try to check for other lodging (there's lots of ski in/out outside of the village in sun peaks) on websites like Airbnb or vrbo. The condo developments of Trapper's Landing and Stone's Throw are right near a lift, but face the disadvantage of being a 3 min drive or 15 min walk from the village and all the restaurants. I recommended sun peaks, as it's the closest in size you'll get to banff, a bit bigger than lake Louise. It would likely be best to merge with another resort, though the only one nearby close to the size (village and skiing) is Whistler, which is obviously a lot bigger. I personally like sun peaks due to its lack of crowds, which you would lose at Whistler, but likely keep anywhere else in BC. The village likely has enough restaurants to keep you interested for a bit over a week, and if you get a condo/chalet type accommodation you can cook yourself or such. There's also things like local pizza (it delivers) and smaller food options like that. Bones is correct, Kamloops is about 35 minutes out of sun peaks, and not really an option for evenings. Maybe you could maybe sun peaks with big white or silver Star? Whistler is always an option as said, but a bit of a drive from sun peaks.
latest report
@KeetnaWilson its true that intermediates won't be able to ski everything. There are over 140 trails marked as green or blue though and some easier groomed blacks (dave murray, raven), which should easily cover 7 days skiing. Plus areas like 7th heaven, crystal, and around green chair are pretty perfect for intermediates looking for their first taste off off piste and trees. Yes whistler is incredibly crowded during holidays, but its not really a representation of the rest of the season. On a regular weekday with no fresh snow at whistler it's mostly walk on, with 5min queues at the most. I would agree its still more crowded than some of the interior resorts though.

I don't really see any solution to OP other than whistler or Banff as the other resorts don't have enough skiing so would require them travelling between resorts which they don't want to do.
snow report
@boarder2020, 5 minute queues is still immensely more than anywhere else in British Columbia and Easter falls over a weekend. I was trying to suggest others due to the title "not banff or whistler". Whistler has some huge disadvantages, sure it's big but there's not much else going for it in terms of a group of on piste intermediates.
snow report
Well op wants big so there is enough skiing for 9 days. I'm not really sure what you mean about it not offering much else in terms of on piste intermediates? What really more can it offer on piste intermediates other than lots of green and blue pistes?! Whistler village probably offers more off the slope activities and entertainment than any other places mentioned and means not having to travel (not even a bus to the ski base each morning).

I accept op doesn't want to go to whistler or Banff. But there is no other resorts that have enough intermediate terrain for 9 days skiing. So the only other option would be numerous resorts which op doesn't want to do either as they don't want to move around. So OP might have to consider compromising on either no whistler/banff or no moving around.
latest report
@boarder2020, I was saying that size is the only advantage Whistler has. Intermediate on piste skiers won't be able to take advantage of the really good terrain, just the blue pistes. There are multiple ski areas in British Columbia that don't require a bus (Sun peaks, silver Star, big white, etc) so Whistler is not special in that regard. Sure, it has a big village. But, there are other significantly sized areas that could offer a reasonable amount of skiing.
latest report
I can weigh in on Big White as we have owned a condo there for going on 12 years.

First off the snow conditions this year are pretty good so far. We were there over Christmas and New Year and the base was already pretty decent and had plenty of powder days. But going in Easter none of this really matters as it's still months away. Last Easter the conditions were superb, the best I can remember at that time of year with lots of powder and cool temperatures. It was like skiing peak season right till the end. But in other years it can quickly turn hot and slushy that late in the season. But either way you will get some decent skiing on a 2m plus base, even if spring conditions take hold at the end.

As for the resort, it's perfect for families with excellent true ski/in out accommodation and a great ski school for the kids. They also have daily free ski guiding tours similar to Sun Peaks. The terrain is also very family friendly and pretty diverse. Most of the runs are tree-lined, uncrowded and generally pretty mellow. Perfect for intermediates to gain confidence. It's a great place for all levels to be honest with loads of safe off-piste opportunities.

I've skied in Banff/Lake Louise too, although many years ago. I really enjoyed that too, but I much prefer the ski/in out convenience of Big White with the kids in tow. I've done Whistler too and wasn't overly impressed with the Easter weather, heavy snow and big crowds. It was that experience that took us to Big White in the first place and never looked back!
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:

I accept op doesn't want to go to whistler or Banff. But there is no other resorts that have enough intermediate terrain for 9 days skiing.

I've never found that a problem at Big White. Sure you would be repeating your favourite runs in that length of time, but hardly a big issue. The 118 runs are pretty diverse with each part of the mountain having its own very distinct character and there are countless easy off-piste opportunities for keen intermediates to take advantage of. I actually found Whistler more "samey" in terms of on-piste terrain on a 10 day trip as a "punter". If you just want "big" then you may as well stay in Europe anyway.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy