Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pole advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
May seem like a daft question, I am sure a pole is a pole is a pole!
Mrs mogul has ditched her Leki poles that had the glove clip rather than the wrist strap and looking for new poles.
Would like to hear your thoughts on pole thickness-any benefits?
Do grip sizes change?
Any value in buying carbon?
Will only be used for on piste and occasional bits down the side so don’t need extending poles.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You will get advice to buy everything from €10 bargain bin (because poles are disposable, easily damaged/stolen items), to buy the best you can afford, to buy the ones that match her skis/jacket Very Happy

However, the only things that really matter are the grip/size/shape for comfort, and pole length for position/stance.

If she's not a crash test dummy, then lighter rather than heavier poles are the way to go.

Here's a thread on carbon/alloy poles - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3151435&highlight=carbon#3151435
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IMO. Poles are personal....so here are some random thoughts:

- Grip size is about preference....I like the grip not to be made of hard shiny plastic.
- Expensive poles can get nicked, so shouldn't be left unattended, hanging over the skis.
- Composite Poles have less wind resistance and due to the "give", don't send as big a shock down the arm when planted.
- Composite Poles can snap, if they get damaged by the ski edge.
- There are different qualities and diameters of Aluminium...which bends rather than snaps.
- You can get poles which are a mixture of Aluminium and carbon
- Bigger baskets and adjustable poles are better for Off Piste
- Some poles come with a slight forward angle, to help with pole-planting position.
- Hand loops come with different designs/trigger/glove systems/safety release mechanisms/adjustment methods.

Modern technique/skis, seems to have minimized the need for such a strong pole plant - except in moguls, very steep terrain and short swing turns.

FWIW. I like a light, narrow pole (Carbon or Aluminium), with a nice rubberized grip and an easy to adjust hand loop (with a safety release). I would always buy in a sale, as I'd rather spend the money on good gloves, socks or goggles.

Some people just buy the cheapest poles they can find and then don't have to baby sit them...and there's nothing wrong with that logic.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have thin composite poles.. that come out 1 week a year as they are in the UK. My 'real' poles are the cheapest i could find in the shop near the achterjet in Flachau when i realised i had a duplicate set up in Austria...apart from poles (and boots, which travel with me). I dont use the wrist strap but dont ski anything where dropping a pole would be a problem
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
my pole shopping top tip: take your gloves with you, so you can see how the grip feels with your hand in the glove - and to check that the strap is long enough to go over your glove when holding the pole correctly.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
With the above (and as small-handed female): grip shape and angle are pretty personal and can make a big difference to some, me included - ditto strap design, thickness, ease if adjustability etc.
I have some lovely old but heavy fibreglass (?) poles, otherwise cheap ally ones ( great except in high winds!). Had some expensive big name carbon ones, lasted few indoor runs and one trip and got snapped in the luggage (good old Manchester airport baggage handlers...).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy