Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Help?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Travelling with my son to Chamonix on 1st Feb for a week. We're probably going for an airbnb but where's the best place to stay? Argentiere close to the Grand Mottet lift or somewhere near the centre of town? We're fairly good skiers (well my son's very good) and are planning to do quite a bit of off piste and get a guide one day for the Vallee Blanche.
Also any recommendations on local guides?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Difficult one, lots of off piste option being based in either spot. Probably more easy lift accessed off piste from the Argentiere end with L'Avancher bowl and options from the top cable car, however during my season in Cham I was based in Chamonix proper which obviously has the Aguille du Midi and Brevent areas within walking distance, both offering great off piste. There were experts doing 10th seasons in a row there too.
Not critical to be in either, you can get a bus along either way in time to get the first lifts.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are pluses and minuses for both. If you’re focused on the skiing rather than nightlife and haven’t got a car then go for accommodation in argentiere in walking distance from the gm lifts. You’ll also have easy access to la tour which has some great off piste too.

If you’re mobile and want the entertainment of a proper town in the evening then maybe go for Chamonix town.

Any other options could be the worst of both worlds.

Be aware it can be f cold in argentiere at night.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’d stay in Chamonix as you’ll have a wider choice of things to do in the evenings and then depending on the conditions, you can go to any of the ski areas. I presume you’ll be getting a guide and if so, they won’t necessarily only ski in GM. As already mentioned, Le Tour has some great off piste. Will you have a car, I’ve always found it really useful with a car in Cham.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Would love to get a guide for the whole week but it's prohibitively expensive so we'll settle for one or two days. Which is the best area in Chamonix for stuff you can do without a guide (skiing down under chairlifts, off the edge of pistes etc)?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you scroll to the bottom of the page there’s links to off piste advise to each area.

https://www.chamonet.com/ski-area/off-piste
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would seriously consider getting this book.

http://www.editionsvamos.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=30&category_id=070d66c1b6f2c16fbb1ba245d7aa6815&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=8

Start with easier stuff until you get a feel for the grading. Unless you have experience with glaciers you should avoid any glaciated off-piste without a guide.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
First post, so apologies if I'm posting this in an inappropriate place! Embarassed

I'm also heading to Cham - Argentiere, to be specific - for the first time as part of a group of 4 decent skiers. We sound a fairly similar standard to OP, love going off piste and really got an appetite for it last year, but we aren't hugely experienced and only one of us has the appropriate gear (i.e transceivers) for the hardcore stuff I've read about. We're contemplating getting a guide for the day, but, much like OP, are finding it quite pricey. Is c.£300 for the day the going rate, or are we looking in the wrong places?

Whilst I'm here, does anybody have any advice on which lift pass to get? Is it worthwhile getting the Mont Blanc Unlimited even if we might not get a guide, or will the Chamonix pass suffice?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@skiing_snerrick, welcome to snowHead s Happy

€300 is at least the going rate for a guide. And afaik, if you are doing anything smarter than the vallee blanche you will all be expected to have at least transceiver.

MBU? When you arriving? As MBU gets you in the Aiguille, so at least for Vallee Blanche that’s a good €60 a head saved.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, the €300 figure, do you know how many people would the guide be able to lead usually?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@MountainIdiot, afaik 4. But it’s been a while.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cool, was expecting around €100pp (based on nothing in particular) so thats good, thanks
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Where have you found a chamonix guide for 300 euros? Going rate seems more like 360
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bentisdall that sounds about right
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cp1000 wrote:
@bentisdall 360 sounds about right
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy