Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How late is still snowsure in Val Thorens?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having fractured my hand, my normal ski plans in Jan and Feb have been scuppered but it’ll fine for my normal week at the end of March. But one week is never enough!!!

I’ve potentially got a free weekend around 27-30th April and have spied some really cheap flights (which makes a weekend affordable). Val Thorens is pretty snow sure and have read that 90% of the pistes are generally open for the EOSB which is about 10 days before.

Obviously there’s no guarantee’s and am not expecting perfect conditions but how much of a gamble is it to plan a weekend for so late in the season in VT?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Actually, 100% of pistes are normally open for the EoSB which is normally a week later than it is this year.

Once, in the last 15 years, I have seen perhaps 5%, certainly not as much as 10% of the pistes closed in the week the EoSB normally is. Basically, the lowest lift, Plan de l'eau has been closed before the end of the week, perhaps 3 times. The Bouquetin, was closed on one occasion.
The loss of the Plan de l'eau reduces the 150km piste total by about 3km.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
June?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers @admin, must admit I thought eosb was normally later. That’s sealed the deal - think I’m going to book up the flights. As long as there’s a couple of runs open I’ll be happy!

Noted @davidof, I’ll definitely look to avoid June Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The lifts and pistes are open in Val Thorens until 8 May this year. Spring is usually a great time to ski there, although the lower runs can become slushy.

Notwithstanding any slush, the higher runs usually remain in great condition. As admin says above, there should be 100% of the pistes open then. Very Happy Very Happy

So, no gambling is required! wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Handy Turnip wrote:
I’ve potentially got a free weekend around 27-30th April and have spied some really cheap flights (which makes a weekend affordable). Val Thorens is pretty snow sure and have read that 90% of the pistes are generally open for the EOSB which is about 10 days before.

Obviously there’s no guarantee’s and am not expecting perfect conditions but how much of a gamble is it to plan a weekend for so late in the season in VT?

As others have said, last day of the season will still be snowsure. VT closes because it runs out of punters, not snow. I've had 30cm overnight on May 5th...

However, your dates are Dutch Week! Good time to be there because it's a laugh and there's ski testing and bands and whatnot but cheap accommodation goes quickly so book now!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @Bergmeister

Good point about Dutch week and accommodation, @Raceplate, I just had a quick look and there wasn’t as much as I was expecting. That’ll be the reason why!!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Or there's always Tignes/Espace Killy Handy Turnip - whole area open until end of April; Tignes open until 8th May.

We've been about 10 times in late April/early May & it's never failed to deliver - even had powder at altitude fairly regularly and fresh snow (albeit it heavy to ski) at resort level in the first week of May 2017.

And no Dutch week crowds - so very cheap digs, even last minute wink. We'll be there until 28th April - otherwise you could have had our cheap apartment.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That’s a good shout @mountainaddict, and I did originally think about Tignes - and taking a look at the accommodation options now they are probably marginally better than VT.

The reason why VT was the preference is that I’ve been a few times before so know the resort which makes picking accommodation less of a gamble, plus my girlfriend is a less confident skier (blues, easy reds) so knowing the runs would be a bonus.

That said, i might snap up the cheap flights now and spent a bit more considering resort and accommodation.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Change of Username required ? Fractured Handy Turnip ? wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haha like it! Laughing Laughing

Fractured Handy (what a) Turnip!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy