Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gloves & socks recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
I'm a snowboarder and I get cold feet and toes, well the ends of them anyway and I am thinking of upgrading my gloves, inners and proper gloves (or mittens) and also my socks so I'm looking for recommendations from peoples experience.
My toes always go cold, It has been better recently since I stopped doing my bindings so tight but they still go cold especially after being in powder for a while. This may also be down to not perfect boots as well.

I dont want silk inners as I read velcro destroys them, I have been looking at some EDZ merino wool & elastane ones

Any advice or recommendations appreciated, thanks!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
level gloves
TK Maxx was selling them off cheap!

only ones I see listed now are
https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/men/activewear/snow+ski/snow+ski-accessories/pilot-navy-snowboard-gloves/p/02013072

Amazon also sometimes have them cheap - but not as cheap as TKMaxx was selling them for!

I have level fly, they come with a liner as well as Biomex guard for your hand
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You're right, Velcro does catch on silk inner gloves, but as they're only £7.99 a pair it's something I can live with.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wiggle your toes & use mitts. That works and requires the least additional toys. I've been riding in minus 20 - 30 this week with no real bother, although some serious toe waggling is helpful now and then. If that doesn't work, try walking a few meters, which can work.

Otherwise electric socks are the business, although not cheap. Electric gloves work but interfere with transceivers. Big mitts with inner liners which are removable are the warmest thing you can get - gloves tend to be more expensive and complicated, less moisture-proof, and colder.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@philwig, I'm not a boarder - but for skiing I like thin socks (is sock thickness less critical for boarders?). Are electric socks thin? Just curious. Fortunately I have never suffered from cold feet and toes - even at low temperatures. Hands and fingers are another matter.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I find these mittens are the warmest gloves I have owned

They have a zip at the top which you can put things like this inside and shut the heat in when your fingers are really cold:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIKE-IT-Crystal-Heatpads-Reusable-Hand-Body-Warmers/362193105530?epid=1605336605&hash=item545464327a:g:cY8AAOSwa~BYSYDB

Get a pair of cheap fleece liner gloves (£2 in Tesco for example). These do not breathe as well as silk liners, but they are much warmer. Very useful when you have to remove your mittens in high winds.

I only wear ski boots, and find that I barely need socks in them to stay warm inside. They have a custom moulded thermal interior which is very warm.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone

I read a review of some silk inners and she said that she literally ripped them completely apart the first time she wore them when they caught on the velcro on her coat pocket so thats what put me off them.

Looking back I should have got mittens instead of the Racer gloves last time I went shopping, they are made from some strange material that has cracked

Can you get Mittens with the d3o shock absorption in?

Those mittens do look warm!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's not the experience we've had with silk liners.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
With mitten and liners I don't reckon you have to spend much to gain access to the massively improved warmth over gloves.

I have to sing the praises of army surplus winter mitts (£12 - german, fleece lined, waxable canvas with leather wear areas, alleged goretex middle layer but could be a generic WPB lining for all I know) and any old thin gloves for liners (I have silk - £5, and polyester, £2, but very rarely need either). If you can get stuff like that on your dusty island £15 will see the hands sorted.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I get silk liners from Amazon: Jasmine Silk Pure Silk Gloves Thermal Liner Glove Inner Ski Bike Cycle Gloves (Medium) 100gsm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001RCKSB6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_KgosAbX58E1M4?tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cool thanks, I never thought about army surplus, there used to be one near my parents as well

those silk liners look different to the ones on amazon where I read that bad review, I'll have a proper look at them

Thanks
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As written here before;
I got a job in Mongolia. Went to the local but good outdoor shop, said I need the warmest gloves and boots you have. They replied just to dress my core well; cold extremities is a sign the core is cooling so heat is redirected from extremities to core to preserve main organs.
I dress well on my torso and have never had cold digits, even at -20 in Canada when the instructor was complaining.

Try an extra layer or two on your torso.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mittens are always warmer than gloves no matter how good the gloves.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sugarmoma666, thanks, just ordered a pair to see if it helps me too.

Out of curiosity, while I know conventional wisdom is to just to wear a single pair of socks, would a thin silk foot liner have the same warming layering affect on toes?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For the last 6 years I've stuck with Mountain Equipment Randonee gloves. pile lining so they stay warm even when damp. I hardly ever use my Hestra gloves now, just keep them as a back up.
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:
I get silk liners from Amazon: Jasmine Silk Pure Silk Gloves Thermal Liner Glove Inner Ski Bike Cycle Gloves (Medium) 100gsm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001RCKSB6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_KgosAbX58E1M4?tag=amz07b-21

Get them from here! SPAMLINK
latest report
oliviacolewood wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:

Get them from here! SPAMLINK
cheaper on Amazon snowHead , and welcome to the boards, as first post is about Jasmine Silk, do you have any offers for us? Laughing
snow report
@oliviacolewood,

Processed pork product?
snow report
I bought some EDZ 97% merino wool liners and even though it wasn't that cold in Andorra my fingers never got cold.
The velcro has started to pull threads on them a bit so they are going a bit fluffy on the fingertips, they held their shape well
ski holidays
Pound stores sell 'magic' gloves that look like they fit a 5 year old but are stretchy. I think they are acrylic. They work well as inner gloves inside mitts.

I buy 5 prs at a time. Always carry two pairs one to use and one to donate to anyone with cold hands. Good karma.
snow conditions
I'm a real convert to Smartwool socks. They are fairly thin but keep my feet really warm. They're quite pricey but you often find them on Sale at this time of year. For hands Mitts are warmest. Keep your eye on TK Maxx they often have Reusch or Level ones which are great quality
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy