Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glasses wearers - what do you find best.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I just wanted to find out what glasses wearers find best for them Puzzled

I don't use contact lenses and so always wear addidas goggles with a glasses insert in them whatever the weather and I find it works pretty well. I don't want to wear over the glasses type goggles and wondered if any other goggles makers offer the option of a glasses insert? Or could anyone tell me if its possible to get sunglasses or goggles lenses coated with your prescription?

What do others use or what works best for them?

Thanks for your help and any info appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I hear boots are doing corrective goggles.

I use to wear contact but got my eyes lasered last year.

if you google prescription ski goggles or simular you will get loads of hits

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 15-02-06 19:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was going down the line of prescription lenses in sunglasses ( Oakleys ) but was told by my optician who also skis that they aren't a great idea. The cost is huge and if your eyes degrade then you start again. If you go indoors you either have to do a quick swap ( you probably are doing that anyway ) so you can see and if the light conditions vary you can't swicth lenses. I never intended to wear contacts but now wear dailies just for skiing. Cheaper and easier in the long run.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have Bolle OTG goggles, which also take a prescription insert, so I have both options. I find the insert works fine. Luckily my eyes are not too bad so I don't need to fish my specs out when I stop for lunch.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At present I don't have to swap back to glasses at lunch, I can get away with the world being a little blurred, but I do need my glasses for driving and skiing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alpinebullit, I use contacts, but have been considering Rudy Project with their prescription inserts. I've heard that they work well.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Currently I use Oakley L frame goggles over specs in snowy weather. For sunshine days, I wear Adidas Evil Eye Explorer shades with a prescription clip insert. These have changeable lenses. My SO uses Bolle prescription shades, or the same Oakleys set up as me for foul weather.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sunglasses certainly? Almost all opticians do prescription sunnies. Insert goggles are a bit more tricky to find but plenty about - was a thread on tescos doing them a little while back aj xx
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wear Oakley or Carrera googles to ski and cebe glasses with prescrptions lenses to have lunch in and cycling. Works for me Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ssh, are you a candidate for Lasik?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ssh, same here. I use daily disposable contacts, i also have Oakley L frames in case i should want my glasses, but i am really considering the Ruddy Project. A friend has their sunglasses with the inserts for mountain biking and likes them a lot.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use contacts and would not comtemplate wearing my glasses skiing, but each to their own. I am due an appointment with my optician and the last time we talked about eye surgery, I asked him if HE would have it done. He said no, not yet, and that was enough for me.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
justapurrin,
Quote:

my optician who also skis that they aren't a great idea

I really have to disagree with him/her (have they not got an Oakley prescription license I wonder!)... I've had 3 pairs of Oakley prescription now since 99. 1st pair I ordered in the States but now get them via www.Isyte.com and they come from Oakleys lab in Ireland. They are indeed quite pricey (around £150 - £250) depending on chosen frame and lens but by far the best investment I've made in my gear bar none. I've got Straight Jacket, Valve and Unknown frames and gold iridium, black iridium and bronze polarised lenses. I'm fairly shortsighted but suffer no distortion despite the wrap-around. Isyte have loads of useful info on the site. Word has it that Oakley are close to perfecting a prescription goggle that won't require inserts. Now that'll be something.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alpinebullit, I use contacts as I like to be able to swap from goggles to glasses (Ace) as and when
Rob
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JohnHill, When you say
Quote:

I'm fairly shortsighted but suffer no distortion despite the wrap-around.

what is your prescription strength?
snow conditions
Yup, use daily disposable contacts when skiing. Sometimes they seem to get a little stuck, don't know whether its the cold or the wind. Perhaps its better to stick to wearing goggles rather than sunglasses with them?
snow conditions
I have kerataconus and am just "road legal". The condition makes wearing contact lenses (only hard work) very uncomfortable. However cold mountain air is just the ticket.
Wear time in the office 1hr
Wear time on the slopes 8hrs
Vision with lenses - excellent

The clue to success with contact lenses is perseverence
ski holidays
I battled with prescription sunglasses, OTG goggles, and goggles and sunglasses with inserts for years, but found they either gave very little flexibility in use, or had too many surfaces to be practical to keep clean and fog-free.

So I went for contact lenses: a (monthly) disposable pair lasts me at least a 2 weeks skiing trip, and buying them off the web they are cheap - even with my astigmatism. Can then wear the outer-eyewear as required by the conditions, i.e. goggles or sunglasses of whatever lens colour is appropriate.
snow report
Is it possible to buy Rudy Project sunglasses (with clip-in prescription inserts) in the UK? Or perhaps on online dealer in the US that will ship to the UK?
ski holidays
Goggles. Little Angel
snow report
Currently Oakley goggles over glasses in poor weather, or switch to prescription sunnies (wrap around) in the good weather. Never managed to be comfortable with contacts, but after a nasty crash last year may try again.

Hit the ground face first wearing glasses and goggles. the goggles dragged my glasses off,breaking the glasses, But also making a nice mess on the bridge of my nose, left quite a deep cut.

Also been looking at the i-Syte option of prescription Oakleys.
snow report
comprex wrote:
ssh, are you a candidate for Lasik?
Yes... scares me silly! Shocked Plus, don't have the finances at the moment.
snow report
srobbo,
Quote:

Hit the ground face first wearing glasses and goggles. the goggles dragged my glasses off,breaking the glasses, But also making a nice mess on the bridge of my nose, left quite a deep cut.

I did much the same in Saas Fee years ago. Managed to avoid cuts, and got away with a good set of bruises on my face. The frames on my specs disintegrated, but the lenses were intact, and were ground to fit a new frame overnight by a Swiss optician in the resort Very Happy
snow conditions
I had my first OTG goggle experience recently after an eye problem ruled out contacts. Very comfortable, only fogged when I was standing still, a small amount of speed & hence airflow cured them.

Once I'm back on contacts however anyone recommend a source for Dailies on the web?
snow conditions
I have heard very good things about the Bolle OTG and the Scott with the fan in it.
ski holidays
Actually, though I wear glasses everyday and have to wear them for driving, I do without when skiing, I can see well enough. Have to put glasses on to order food though!!
snow conditions
Thankyou everybody you've all given me some great information.

As a starting point I'm going to check out both Isyte and the rudy project, they sound a really good option. But I'm also going to have a word with my optician about Lasik, see if its an option for me. Also can you get Rudy Project glasses shipped to the UK?

Thanks once again Madeye-Smiley
snow report
fatbob wrote:
Once I'm back on contacts however anyone recommend a source for Dailies on the web?

Our last set of lenses (in November) came from http://www.lenses4net.com . Shipped from Sweden(?) in a few days, and you self-certify your prescription. Have also used http://www.getlenses.com , but they insist on confirming your prescription with your optician.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JohnHill, They were actually Oakley agents and did do prescriptions. I suppose everyone is different and as I prefer to ski in goggles than sunglasses the contacts were the best bet. Even at £150 a time for prescription lenses it makes a good pair of goggles cheap with spare lenses.
snow report
Alpinebullit wrote:
Also can you get Rudy Project glasses shipped to the UK?

Thanks once again Madeye-Smiley

I did a bit of Googling yesterday and there are a few UK retailers that do Rudy Project glasses and goggles, including this one: www.gosportsspex.co.uk

PS: I have no links with this company, just found them on the net.
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, Gosportsspex supplied my Adidas shades, they are a pretty good, sensible retailer...no bull Very Happy
snow conditions
Are the prescription lenses or inserts made of plastic? Never thought about that till now. I assume glass wouldn't be used for safety and weight?
ski holidays
Quote:

I wear glasses everyday and have to wear them for driving, I do without when skiing,

Annehillskiing, if you need to wear glasses for driving you should wear them for skiing, without question. Let me know which resorts you go to so I can avoid your braille-skiing!! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
I used to use prescription sun glasses but they were too much hassle having to take them off when going inside and carrying your normal glasses around.

Then I discovered daily disposable contact lenses (even for my more complex prescription) and never looked (ha ha) back.
snow report
justapurrin,
Quote:

Are the prescription lenses or inserts made of plastic? Never thought about that till now. I assume glass wouldn't be used for safety and weight?

They are definitely plastic!
ski holidays
Alpinebullit ever thought about laser eye surgery. Got mine done nearly two years ago now - fantastic !
snow report
Paul Mason wrote:
Alpinebullit ever thought about laser eye surgery. Got mine done nearly two years ago now - fantastic !

Yes he is Wink
snow report
the ice perv,
Quote:

Quote:

I wear glasses everyday and have to wear them for driving, I do without when skiing,

Annehillskiing, if you need to wear glasses for driving you should wear them for skiing, without question. Let me know which resorts you go to so I can avoid your braille-skiing!!

No I think I will keep that secret Twisted Evil snowHead
ski holidays
snowbunny,
Quote:

what is your prescription strength?

Both eyes are minus 1.5 ish.
snow conditions
At her request, we paid for laser eye surgery for our daughter for her 21st birthday - the youngest they will do it, because prescription needs to have settled down. It was painful and traumatic (both eyes at once) because it was several weeks before she knew how well it had worked. At the time it felt like a cr*p present to give her, but now she says it was the best ever. She sails, windsurfs, surfs and skis - all easier without needing vision correction. She researched the options carefully and took the least risky procedure, which is more painful. Her eyes were incredibly light sensitive for some days (she could not go outside, even with sunglasses and initially sat in a darkened room with a blanket over her head like a budgie). She was highly motivated - and it was great in the end - but not something to be undertaken lightly. She says she is extremely glad she decided to have both done at once, as she might have chickened out of the second op, otherwise!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy